Used Explorer- 2014, 2015 or wait? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Used Explorer- 2014, 2015 or wait?

Thanks Tuscany- that is key info. No towing here.
I've been offered 2.9%, which sounded pretty decent. Regarding the power issue- the Pilot was acceptable to me so as long as it's at least as good as that I'll be happy.
I'm up at 4 in the morning going over specs....

My advice is simple.
Just go to a Ford dealership and take each engine choice out for a ride. Look and "sit" in different Explorers and consider the different equipment levels.

I took an afternoon, went to my dealer and drove them.
I came away knowing what engine I wanted, and exactly which engine I didn't want. I came away knowing that the Limited was the perfect fit.

Used purchase:
First and foremost, you are giving up a substantial part of your OEM warranty by buying late model used.
Obviously "used" will be more costly with interest, and also by being older, a loss of resale value and a loss of a new car rebate. Pay now or pay later.

IMO, a late model used will be more costly in the end. Plus, I don't want someone else's fart residue in my seats.:thumbdwn:

So, offer $500.00 below invoice on a new 16', figure in the rebate and 0% interest and then compare that to your best "used" deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It isn't Ford, per se, but the dealership. To say "Ford" doesn't care in this case is unfair since dealerships are independently owned. My dealership has time and again shown that they do care. They even know me by name and have gone beyond the norm a few times.

Peter

Totally agree. Independently owned means variables from one to another.
My Ford dealership in Hamburg, NY is simply outstanding.

Test drives are in my future, very near future.
The OEM warranty is important- got that. If I go used I'll get a certified vehicle which should help some but it's something I will ask about- exactly how much do I lose vs new. Most of the vehicles I've been eyeing have 20K miles or less. I'd love to know how rigorous the certification process is. Anyone know?
Resale value isn't much of an issue for me since I tend to keep my vehicles til they're worth almost nothing so it comes down to interest rate, warranty and of course any new features or styling only available on the newer model. If a new one, even if it's a great deal, is going to cost me $250 more a month I gotta go used.
LTD 2016s msrp is $46k. 2016 XLT is $35. I don't know yet how much the actual price will be (still researching) and I don't know how much the used ones actually sell for. Low mileage 2015 LTDs list around $28K.
So even though I agree with you and would love to own a new one the price difference appears to be too big. Will know more in a few hours.

After looking around a bit I found the average 2016 XLT actual price (in my area) runs right around $33K. Interesting! $38.4 for the LTD... not interesting :(

After looking around a bit I found the average 2016 XLT actual price (in my area) runs right around $33K. Interesting! $38.4 for the LTD... not interesting :(
If you want to be downright not interested, price the Platinum.:)

Peter

Test drove a Pilot and Highlander just for forms sake. Both very nice- I won't knock them. Just arrived this morning was a used 2014 XLT, V6 with a 202A equipment package (leather seats, nav, backup cam, dual moon roof and other cool stuff) that had only 14,500 miles- it looks brand new inside and out :) Happy!
Thanks for the suggestions all.
Well, except for that Platinum one :D

Test drove a Pilot and Highlander just for forms sake. Both very nice- I won't knock them. Just arrived this morning was a used 2014 XLT, V6 with a 202A equipment package (leather seats, nav, backup cam, dual moon roof and other cool stuff) that had only 14,500 miles- it looks brand new inside and out :) Happy!
Thanks for the suggestions all.
Well, except for that Platinum one :D

As a example.
In Dec I bought a 2013 xlt 202A Factory tow . No nav, no moon, Block heater 28800 miles. Sticker/internet price $31100. offered $28000 my Credit union financing of 1.9%. They took my offer and matched the interest rate thru Capital One. Bought extended warranty to 70000 miles Payment $403 / 60 months.

That price can be had all over after JAN 01. They lowered the price on the Internet to match What I offered and gave me the deal.

Buying used will save you money. Get a certified Ex. ' Change the Halogen bulbs ASAP. They suk. Get the Sony Stereo if you can.

Again, thanks for all the great info folks.
Question- are you saying the standard 3.5l V6 won't feel like much of an upgrade compared to the Pilot? That would change my mind as I was thinking the standard motor would be fine if I found an LTD that had everything else I wanted.
Looking at the specs I see the 2.3l Ecoboost has ten less hp but but more torch than the V6. Torch vs horsepower. Honda appears to be 35hp less with about the same torch as the Ex V6 hmmm.
The question of why I'm jumping the Honda ship- holy cow have you seen how ugly Pilots have been for the last several years?! Like, AMC Pacer ugly. They made some good improvements this year (number one on some lists) so I may've considered it but the prices are very high for a used 2016 and there aren't many around. I'd really like to buy American. The Durango and Traverse- I hope to test drive them today. If I were choosing just on looks I'd go with the Explorer. Durango second and the Traverse has pretty good features so I haven't discounted it completely. I also considered a Flex since it has the space I need. Lower mileage and practically zero ground clearance put it low on my list.

I was just curious as you get so many people who say they own Honda because of no issues and great service at the dealership. I personally think that I receive great service at my dealership and my last 5 Fords have all been low service / low issue vehicles. I switched over from BMW as I wanted to get back to American vehicles. I have no regrets, been very happy with my move.

The V6 engine will give you plenty of power and run very well no matter what year, but IMO the 2.3l motor is better (the torque output does a better job of getting this ~5k vehicle moving). As far as the 3.5l EB, that motor is hard to beat. Not a race car, as this vehicle was not designed to be one, but very strong and lively. No matter which you get happy rolling and congrats on your decision to go american....

Yeah very happy to go American. My Honda dealership was not great- in fact they were not good. I ended up using a private mechanic that was great, was completely satisfied on that end. Miller Honda- wouldn't recommend them and if I ever get another Honda I won't use them.
Now I will be giving Galpin Ford's service dept a try. They have a very nice waiting area. The dealership is enormous so I don't expect any sort of personal relationship like I had back in my Acura days, but as long as the repairs are done properly and in a timely manner I will be happy. Otherwise it's back to the private guy. But then, they kinda got me because of the Health Report stuff- I like the idea of all my service history being so easily accessible.

I'm on my 3rd BMW right now, but I'm not inspired to get a 4th. There is not the same difference in features, quality, and performance between BMWs and comparable domestic cars that there used to be, and as my girls get closer to college I'm more scrupulous about car expenditures than I was. The $75,000 European options are off the table. Also, we drive up into the mountains of Colorado a lot, and it's not easy to find an alternator for a Range Rover in Paonia when you need one.

The Japanese SUVs are at an odd place right now. This latest-generation Honda Pilot is getting rave reviews, but Honda was really conservative with the design. It looks like a mommy-mobile to me; I don't care how good it is. I was a fan of the MDX, but it too lost something in the most recent redesign. The hips used to be a little bigger, something. It doesn't look as sexy to me as it did. I care about this stuff.

The Highlander makes a case for itself. The 2017 model is getting a more powerful engine and an improved transmission. It's in the hunt, but still just the slightest bit effeminate. Even if I liked driving it, I'm not sure I could pull the trigger. If my wife wanted one for her car, I would sign right up because I think it's a good product.

Hyundai Santa Fe? Kia Sorrento? Sorry, no. Might be my loss, but I'm not ready yet.

So I'm going American too.

The Traverse/Acadia/Enclave group is being redesigned. You can see pics of the new Acadia on the internet - it looks very good. It's a little smaller than the current model and will no longer have the freakishly large cargo hold that the current model has. But, still 3 rows, apparently under 4000 pounds, and with some nice in-car tech. It looks a bit like a Durango. It's a contender but my timing is wrong; I would wind up in one of the very first ones, which means I would pay too much and it would have issues.

I like the Durango, my wife does not. She thinks they went a little too far with the machismo on the styling, especially with the taillight design. It's OK for me; it's too much for her. Which is a shame; I like the long-and-narrow design on those; they fit well in places other large SUVs don't.

So that brings us to the Explorer Sport. It's a bit of a hot-rod, which we both like. 3 rows. Good in-car tech, especially once it gets Sync 3 in 2017. Decent interior materials, at least at its price point. You just can't argue that it isn't a design derivative of the Range Rover - but one can be had for around $45,000 so I can live with that. We have a beater 2004 XLT that has done very well by us and that we are fond of. So, I;m betting that I bring a Sport home in August when my 5 series lease ends. Probably sell the '04 to CarMax.

We seem to be drifting off topic here. The topic is not about different makes, where vehicles are made or their reliability. The OP is interested in an Explorer.

Peter

We seem to be drifting off topic here. The topic is not about different makes, where vehicles are made or their reliability. The OP is interested in an Explorer.

Peter
I disagree.

The OP, emphasis added:

Hi all,
Bottom line- is there anything in the 2016 Explorer that the 2014 or 2015 has that you think is deal breaker?
Long explanation- it's time for me to get a new [used] car. I'm coming from a Honda Pilot- 220K miles with almost no non- wear and tear related repairs since I bought it new but now the coolant system has a leak, it needs new tires and it got dented :(. Those repairs would cost more than the car is worth most likely.
My main use is city driving but 2 or 3 times a year I take it on long trips- Canadian and Colorado Rockies, Pacific Northwest, etc. On those trips I do a lot of dirt roads.
Been waffling between a 2014 and 2015 XLT and I just read the 2017s come out in a few months. Adds to my waffles.... I'd like to keep the price down but am willing to pay more if it's worth it.
So far the main thing I see that I like in the 2016's that's not available (as far as I know) in the '14 and '15 is the 2.3l Ecoboost engine. I worry though about the turbo and future repairs as I've heard so many turbo woes, not with the Explorer- just in general.
I'll be buying from a dealership near me where a family friend is the finance and used car manager. He said he'll make sure I get a certified model that comes with a lifetime warranty.

The guy is going through his decision process, explaining how he arrived upon the Explorer as a target, and is asking us how we did the same. All of those topics you mentioned come into play there.

I disagree.

The OP, emphasis added:

The guy is going through his decision process, explaining how he arrived upon the Explorer as a target, and is asking us how we did the same. All of those topics you mentioned come into play there.

I am noticing no mention of gas mileage. It was why I did not buy a SUV three years ago and bought the Malibu. Got 32 MPG average on a trip one time.
The 2013 xlt is 10 MPG less but half the price per gallon allowed me to buy.

At 60-70 MPH in cruise i can watch my average MPG creep up from 20-22 mpg HWY. Keeping the idling down. No remote start, keep the foot out of it. I think it is pretty good for a SUV. My 2000 Durango was a 17MPG Hwy.
We have no guarantee. gas will stay around $2.00.

I am noticing no mention of gas mileage. It was why I did not buy a SUV three years ago and bought the Malibu. Got 32 MPG average on a trip one time.
The 2013 xlt is 10 MPG less but half the price per gallon allowed me to buy.

At 60-70 MPH in cruise i can watch my average MPG creep up from 20-22 mpg HWY. Keeping the idling down. No remote start, keep the foot out of it. I think it is pretty good for a SUV. My 2000 Durango was a 17MPG Hwy.
We have no guarantee. gas will stay around $2.00.
It's $4.50 a CDN (Imp.) gallon right now for 87 where I am and $5.40 for 94 octane.

Peter

so owning a 2016 and having the same comarision last summer.

odd as it looks intitally for some reason (and I think it's the seats) there is a tick more room in the 16 vs the 15. it was enough that our car seat wouldn't fit in a 15 with the wifey in the pax seat - but it worked just fine in the 16. (and yes we checked to make sure they were fully back and the lot)

Also the center stack of the 16 is better IMO - actual buttons comes back (I hate the touch sense ones).

looks - meh to each their own.

LED basic headlamps - I feel the LED implementation in the 2016 is better than the HID implementation in the 2015 limited. it's a close bit but I think it's better.

ride, noise, etc - pretty much the same as it should be.

price - I'm slightly shocked you can get an XLT for 33K out there. but then check the option package because 2 of them are over 1K.

If I had it to do over again I probably would have gotten a limited - but nobody had one in my area at the time we were ready to buy. I wasn't looking for a sport or a platinum - wifey doesn't need any of that. but I did opt for the tech package (foot liftgate and remote start) and the 20 in wheels - and I guess it's the 202A setup without the 2nd row console.

MPG's I will readily admit it does better than I expected but not as much as I'd hope. to that end - nothing else in the segment is any better - without getting that Audi Q5 diesel. but more on that later. MPG's I have gotten 25 on the highway - after about the 5K mile mark. City though is an even 20, pretty much all the time. Otherwise we hover around 21 combined but on road trips. easily get in the 23.5 - 25 arena.

I think it can do a tick better but that's getting into modifications.

Driving feel - again not going sport - for the standard flavors - I tried most all of them but the Pilot (didn't like it then wasn't on the list), but the nissan pathfinder, Buck enclave, Acadia, BMW X5 were on the list. And other than the X5 I would say the explorer out brakes, and out handles all of them. And I'd say if you had to go that route - the sport explorer is as crisp as the X5 - with AWD. x5 sport is a different animal and again not for the wifey. also not a fair comparison IMO since the bimmer is a RWD platform.

seating wise though I was honestly more comfortable with the Enclave - but boy does it wallo.

The stock 3.5 Ti-VCT mill holds its own even today and I'm glad I went that route.

What percentage of that is Tax??
Almost 36%.

Regular, Posted, Self Serve
As of 9:02 a.m. EDT, Apr. 22, 2016

101.9 cents/litre (approx. $4.64/gal.)

Portion of Taxes Included in Price in cents/litre

GST/HST: 11.7 (53.2)
Federal Excise Tax: 10.0 (45.5)
Provincial Fuel Tax: 14.7 (66.9)
Total Taxes: 36.4 (1.66)

Peter

Hello all,

I am deciding between a used 2015 and a used 2016 limited. The 2015 will obviously save me a few thousand. I'm wondering if there are any must haves with the 2016 over the 2015. What is the general opinion about the difference between the front grills?

Thanks for any and all help

Hello all,

I am deciding between a used 2015 and a used 2016 limited. The 2015 will obviously save me a few thousand. I'm wondering if there are any must haves with the 2016 over the 2015. What is the general opinion about the difference between the front grills?

Thanks for any and all help
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Using the Forum's 'Search" feature I found this similar thread and merged yours with it. Check out post 8 for the 2016 Order Guide. Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back