• Register Today It's free!

Starting issues

Alex7772011

Reaction score
City, State
Big island hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford exploer sport
So i just recently replaced cylinder head on my 92 explorer. Was running and driving fine for about 2 weeks, i finally insured it and was getting to get it legal now im having starting issues.
It starts whenever it wants to start, other times it just cranks over and over.
I can hear fuel pump kick in when i turn the key on. I seen one post before tap on fuse box under the hood if it doesn't start the first time and it worked couple times. but now it doesn't want to start at all..
Any info? or help would be greatly appreciated.

Air fuel spark compression are the four things usually needed to start. Diagnosing a no start is usually about determining which of those four is not present.

Compression and air are usually automatic (especially when the start is intermittent), so we usually focus on spark and fuel.
I would check fuel pressure. Just because you can hear the pump running is not a guarantee that it is generating sufficient pressure.
Check to make sure the fuel injectors are firing. They audibly click, so it should be easy enough to listen to them (maybe a stethoscope will help).
An old induction timing light (or similar, if you have one) is adequate for checking for spark. or pull a wire and look for the spark that way.
Once you know which is missing, you can diagnose it from there.

Air fuel spark compression are the four things usually needed to start. Diagnosing a no start is usually about determining which of those four is not present.

Compression and air are usually automatic (especially when the start is intermittent), so we usually focus on spark and fuel.
I would check fuel pressure. Just because you can hear the pump running is not a guarantee that it is generating sufficient pressure.
Check to make sure the fuel injectors are firing. They audibly click, so it should be easy enough to listen to them (maybe a stethoscope will help).
An old induction timing light (or similar, if you have one) is adequate for checking for spark. or pull a wire and look for the spark that way.
Once you know which is missing, you can diagnose it from there.
no spark get fuel:mad:

If it has fuel but no spark, then I would check the coil and ICM. Make sure the coil has power and ground, make sure the ICM has power and ground.

Back