Major Mileage Milestone! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Major Mileage Milestone!

Question is, how are you getting over 17mpg? Mine tops out at 16.5mpg.

19-20 mpg's is possible on the highway. Went to florida(2400 miles round trip) a couple weekends ago. Averaged 19 mpg's the whole trip,including all the stop and go traffic the time we spent in Tampa....combined mileage is around 17 with my fiance driving it to work and back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mpg calculations

So I put roughly 2,000 miles on the Explorer over the past couple of weeks and the mpg hit 18.4, then dropped back to 18.1 after some in town driving. here are some pics of the champ. Her tramp stamp and asscrack are the second picture.....

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

Congrats! My '05 4.0 V6 is almost at 189,000 miles.

Timing Chains Toasted

Well on 2/13/16, I had 200,001 miles on the Explorer and now two months later on 4/15/16, I have 208,327.

I got to El Paso after a 300 mile trip and when I pulled off the freeway and let off the gas, there was a clear ticking noise that hadn't been there before. Once I stopped and the engine went to idle at around 600rpm, there was a louder click, along with the new ticking noise.

I pulled over, it seemed to be coming from the right side, so I thought maybe A/C clutch or belt tensioner (hoping something easy and cheap). It didn't make the noise when the rpms got over 1000, but would immediately return once the rpms dropped to around idle.

I decided to drive it home to Tucson, since I was out of town and no tools. Once I got home, I took it to the shop I use, knowing it was likely timing chain stuff. They pulled the belt and it made most of the same noises without the belt, so timing chain it is.

This isn't a job I will do myself, as this is my daily driver and I can't have it down for any length of time.

New guides and tensioners for sure, possibly chains and sprockets, depending on what's going on inside.

At 208,327 it's time for stuff like this to go south.........

As long as it stays cheaper than buying a new truck, I'll be fixing this Explorer to keep it on the road.....better to stick with the devil you know, than the devil you don't, in my opinion.....

How fast do you drive to those MPGs? 208K with no major service done.. That's pretty good!

Right now I am getting 14.5 mpg driving 15 minutes each way 5 days a week. 55 mpg majority then 45 stop n go. The best I get on the highway doing 75 is 16.5 mpg.

When I drove this thing up from FL, climbing the mountains in Virginia it was getting 19 MPG... I have no idea how but it hasn't done it since. I was running Shell 87 that whole trip. I use regular 87 any place I go.

How fast do you drive to those MPGs? 208K with no major service done.. That's pretty good!

Right now I am getting 14.5 mpg driving 15 minutes each way 5 days a week. 55 mpg majority then 45 stop n go. The best I get on the highway doing 75 is 16.5 mpg.

When I drove this thing up from FL, climbing the mountains in Virginia it was getting 19 MPG... I have no idea how but it hasn't done it since. I was running Shell 87 that whole trip. I use regular 87 any place I go.

I set the cruise at 79 on the freeway, which is the entire trip. That seems to be the speed I can go and never get pulled over. I use 87 proof gas in AZ and settle for 86 proof in southern NM and TX.

I put a lot of highway miles on it, so the mpg rarely drops under 17. It's usually between 17.5 and 18.5.

My 2005 XLT 4.0 V6 Flex has just over 191,000 miles, today I drove several hours 99% highway at an average of 75MPH and it reported 19.4MPG.

I hear some timing chain noise, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it goes.

Timing chain should be a constant rattle like ball bearings or marbles rolling down a flight of cement stairs.

A "tick" every revolution at low RPM sounds more like a sticking hydraulic lifter.

Also why is your SES light on?

Timing chain should be a constant rattle like ball bearings or marbles rolling down a flight of cement stairs.

A "tick" every revolution at low RPM sounds more like a sticking hydraulic lifter.

Also why is your SES light on?

That sounds right, good description! You could sometimes hear it at higher speeds when you let off the gas, but it was easier to hear at low rpm because there wasn't as much engine noise. Also, when accelerating, the chains tighten up, so you don't hear the slop as much I guess.

As for the SES light, its for "EGR air flow". It came on after I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it top to bottom, along with the MAF sensor. I didn't pull the EGR, so it immediately started throwing the code.

I'm guessing the PCM detected better air flow from MAF to TB, but then there was an issue with the dirty, carboned up EGR.

The EGR is an easy driveway project for me, so I'll fix it before my next emissions test in August. It really doesn't affect the way it runs or drives, so I haven't been too concerned.

My 2005 XLT 4.0 V6 Flex has just over 191,000 miles, today I drove several hours 99% highway at an average of 75MPH and it reported 19.4MPG.

I hear some timing chain noise, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it goes.

My shop said they would do the job since I had the 4.6L V8. I was talking with the owner and head mechanic and they said they refuse the jobs for the timing chains on 4.0L V6. They simply won't do it.

He said they recommend the owners take them to the Ford house or install a remanufactured engine, if the owner REALLY likes the Explorer. Otherwise, they recommend to just sell it/trade it to get out from under it.

My shop said they would do the job since I had the 4.6L V8. I was talking with the owner and head mechanic and they said they refuse the jobs for the timing chains on 4.0L V6. They simply won't do it.

He said they recommend the owners take them to the Ford house or install a remanufactured engine, if the owner REALLY likes the Explorer. Otherwise, they recommend to just sell it/trade it to get out from under it.

I know my 4.0 Explorer needs chains. I'm honestly not sure what to do, I REALLY like my Explorer. Ford dealer gave me an estimate of around $3,000 to pull my engine, install new chains and related hardware, and re-install the engine. The vehicle is worth around $4,000 or a little more. It may blow any time, so at that point I'd be faced with having a new engine put in it, which I may do but I'm sure that will exceed $3,000 significantly at the dealer.

I know my 4.0 Explorer needs chains. I'm honestly not sure what to do, I REALLY like my Explorer. Ford dealer gave me an estimate of around $3,000 to pull my engine, install new chains and related hardware, and re-install the engine. The vehicle is worth around $4,000 or a little more. It may blow any time, so at that point I'd be faced with having a new engine put in it, which I may do but I'm sure that will exceed $3,000 significantly at the dealer.

Yes, that's a tough spot to be in. Because they have to pull the engine to do the chains, it only makes sense to replace the engine with a fully remanufactured engine instead.

Long block at Rockauto is roughly $1800, then add $1500-2000 labor for an independent shop to do the swap and you're at the same price as just doing the chains on the old engine. You get a 3yr warranty, which is a little peace of mind. Maybe spring for a new intake manifold and thermostat for a couple hundred bucks extra and cover the weak spots for the future.

Is that cheaper than what a low mileage 2010 Explorer would cost monthly? That's kind of where I am too. As long as I can keep my Explorer running for less than what it would cost to buy a newer car/truck, that's what I'm going to do. I've owned my Explorer since brand new, so I REALLY like mine too.

Timing Chain Parts

Well, I picked up the Explorer today after getting the timing chains done and I was definitely close to the edge. The right side, where the sound was coming from, was near total failure. Crazy wear......

Timing_Chain_Tensioners_4.jpg

Timing_Chain_Tensioners_3.jpg
Timing_Chain_Tensioners_1.jpg
Timing_Chain_Tensioners_2.jpg

Well, I picked up the Explorer today after getting the timing chains done and I was definitely close to the edge. The right side, where the sound was coming from, was near total failure. Crazy wear......

Yikes! So you had all of your timing components replaced? Glad you saved her before she blew.

Yes, that's a tough spot to be in. Because they have to pull the engine to do the chains, it only makes sense to replace the engine with a fully remanufactured engine instead.

Long block at Rockauto is roughly $1800, then add $1500-2000 labor for an independent shop to do the swap and you're at the same price as just doing the chains on the old engine. You get a 3yr warranty, which is a little peace of mind. Maybe spring for a new intake manifold and thermostat for a couple hundred bucks extra and cover the weak spots for the future.

Is that cheaper than what a low mileage 2010 Explorer would cost monthly? That's kind of where I am too. As long as I can keep my Explorer running for less than what it would cost to buy a newer car/truck, that's what I'm going to do. I've owned my Explorer since brand new, so I REALLY like mine too.

That's a great point. At this moment, I think I'm going to wait for the engine to blow. I'm already experiencing other things failing, so I'll see how far I can stretch her. My harmonic balancer just went out, which is a common issue with the 4.0 apparently. My Explorer made a horrible squeaking noise, which eventually went away, and today it would die after running for a few seconds. Sometimes it will run for a minute, but it will die. After an examination of motor components, I discovered the HB had split.

I hope to get this fixed within the next few days. In the mean time, I'm driving a 1997 Chevy Silverado that drives and handles better than my Explorer does when it runs, but I still love the Explorer!

Happened at a little over 191,000 miles.

Yes, they replaced the sprockets, chains, tensioners, guides and new gaskets all around. I have some belt squeal, which is from power steering fluid and coolant on the pulleys, I'm guessing. I wasn't thinking, but this is only the second belt it's had and the original was replaced around 100k or so. 108k on this belt is good enough....

Pepboys has a 30% discount today for any online orders with in-store pickup, so I got a new serpentine belt and I'm going to replace it tomorrow after cleaning all the pulleys.

Good luck with your balancer sweersa, that thing has seen better days!

Yes, they replaced the sprockets, chains, tensioners, guides and new gaskets all around. I have some belt squeal, which is from power steering fluid and coolant on the pulleys, I'm guessing. I wasn't thinking, but this is only the second belt it's had and the original was replaced around 100k or so. 108k on this belt is good enough....

Pepboys has a 30% discount today for any online orders with in-store pickup, so I got a new serpentine belt and I'm going to replace it tomorrow after cleaning all the pulleys.

Get a GatorBack (now called Continental Elite). I use them on all my vehicles.

More Information for CONTINENTAL 4060855

I spilled coolant on my serpentine belt before, and it caused some very annoying squeaking! It sounded fine after replacing the belt. Belts are easy and cheap enough to replace on the V6. I can do one in minutes now!

Thank you, I had a trusted local shop quote me on replacing the harmonic balancer at a little under $400. They are using the Dorman part, which I understand has a lifetime warranty while the Ford one has a one-year (and the Dorman one is cheaper) It will be towed in tomorrow. I expect the tow bill to be between $100 and $150, but my full coverage insurance should cover that, which is nice (they better as I have paid in FAR more than used over the years, like everyone else)

How much did having the timing chain work run you, if you don't mind sharing. The local Ford dealer quoted me around $3,000 for my 4.0 when I asked about it a few weeks back when they made more noise. I didn't get any quotes from the smaller shops.

I spilled coolant on my serpentine belt before, and it caused some very annoying squeaking! It sounded fine after replacing the belt. Belts are easy and cheap enough to replace on the V6. I can do one in minutes now!

Thank you, I had a trusted local shop quote me on replacing the harmonic balancer at a little under $400. They are using the Dorman part, which I understand has a lifetime warranty while the Ford one has a one-year (and the Dorman one is cheaper) It will be towed in tomorrow. I expect the tow bill to be between $100 and $150, but my full coverage insurance should cover that, which is nice (they better as I have paid in FAR more than used over the years, like everyone else)

How much did having the timing chain work run you, if you don't mind sharing. The local Ford dealer quoted me around $3,000 for my 4.0 when I asked about it a few weeks back when they made more noise. I didn't get any quotes from the smaller shops.

But the Dorman is that UGLY bluegreengrey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

594-111-007__ra_p.jpg
594-111-001__ra_p.jpg

Not to mention that price is a total rip off considering the price of the part.

Odd RockAuto calls that one for the 2 door when my 4 door has that design (in black!) on it.

It was $1,324 out the door for parts, labor and taxes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As of Oct 2013, the approx. price for a Ford Reman engine 4.0L V-6 with a full 3 years, parts and labor warranty, plus labor removal/installation at a Ford Dealership would run you around $5,000-$5,200. The reman engine by itself will run you around $3,200 plus any taxes. Prices may be higher today, but that is what my reman engine and install came to in Oct 2013.

Back