Anyone make/buy a keyless fob radio transmitter shield? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone make/buy a keyless fob radio transmitter shield?

Since the fob doesn't detect that it's near/in the vehicle, then it won't be active.

Peter

Even without the battery, if it's hidden near the backup start location, you could start the vehicle. I'm not sure where it is in the 16's, but in my 14 it's in the front wall of the center console. I would hide it in the rear just because it's not in an easy location for someone to find it.

The battery trick is the free way of hiding a key fob. The signal blocking bag is a good idea also, but would require buying one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even without the battery, if it's hidden near the backup start location, you could start the vehicle. I'm not sure where it is in the 16's, but in my 14 it's in the front wall of the center console. I would hide it in the rear just because it's not in an easy location for someone to find it.

The battery trick is the free way of hiding a key fob. The signal blocking bag is a good idea also, but would require buying one.
The key has to be physically inserted in the center console location and in a specific way. Just having it near the console won't allow the vehicle to start.

Peter

The '16 location is in the same spot. I thought it might have an electrical connection of some sort, but turns out it just places the fob up against the front of the console cubby. I'm guessing that places the chip really, really close to the transmitter/receiver.

Removing the battery was discussed previously. Not what I want to do. I want it total shielded, but available for use when desired without playing with the battery.

I put the fob in the bag sideways and rolled it up. Then wrapped a piece of Velcro around to seal it. Totally "dark" when in the console.

Just under $20 shipped. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The '16 location is in the same spot. I thought it might have an electrical connection of some sort, but turns out it just places the fob up against the front of the console cubby. I'm guessing that places the chip really, really close to the transmitter/receiver.

Removing the battery was discussed previously. Not what I want to do. I want it total shielded, but available for use when desired without playing with the battery.

I put the fob in the bag sideways and rolled it up. Then wrapped a piece of Velcro around to seal it. Totally "dark" when in the console.

Just under $20 shipped. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Seem like that is the way to go for you since the old key "self deactivation" doesn't seem to apply any more. Glad to hear it worked out.:thumbsup:

Peter

I asked the guy at Faraday Bags if they might be offering a smaller version. He said they had a pre-production model of a 3X5 inch bag they were offering soon. I bought one of those. It has a fake leather outer to it and faraday bag lining and a fold over flap closure and velcro seal.

It works like a champ. You can be sitting in the car with the fob in the bag and it is totally shielded. The car never knows its there.

I think the price on these will be about $15 plus shipping.

Works well for what I want.

I tested leaving the IA fob in the vehicle simply by wrapping it in Reynolds aluminum foil. Shiny side in if that makes any difference. It worked like a charm. Was able to lock the vehicle without it being detected. It's also inexpensive.;)

Peter

These ideas are great if you are going hiking (could be lost/damaged or possible water exposure to wrap the key, hide it and lock EX using the keypad and "know" that you will be able to code back into the EX and obtain your key to drive away.

These ideas are great if you are going hiking (could be lost/damaged or possible water exposure to wrap the key, hide it and lock EX using the keypad and "know" that you will be able to code back into the EX and obtain your key to drive away.
For simply locking it in and hiding it all you need is to lock the vehicle with the keypad. No need for any kind of shielding. The key will then deactivate itself after a short period of time. The reason I used the aluminum wrap was that a member stated he found that he couldn't keep the vehicle locked when closing the liftgate with a key inside. For some reason he didn't want to have to use the keypad.:dunno:

Peter

Back