Tuners in general | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuners in general

Livernois,

With your tune on a 3.5 NA motor, do the plugs need to be re-gapped first, or is it safe to just load the tune and start driving? My Explorer has about 34,000 miles on it now.

Plus, is there anyone else here who has used the Livernois tune on the 3.5 NA motor that can give some feedback?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also question to Livernois:

The 2016 exploder sport package you got...
Stage 1 includes CAI, tuner/tune, 3bar map, and 160 stat and the gain is around 60 hp and 60 tq?

What about stage two three and four? I see some have down pipe and set of plugs in the picture but the description isn't clear and no info on power gain. Are any of those stock motor/drivetrain friendly?

Livernois,

With your tune on a 3.5 NA motor, do the plugs need to be re-gapped first, or is it safe to just load the tune and start driving? My Explorer has about 34,000 miles on it now.

Plus, is there anyone else here who has used the Livernois tune on the 3.5 NA motor that can give some feedback?
No need to regap for NA tune. The gap is tightened for boosted applications so you don't get spark blowout when the boost is increased.

No need to regap for NA tune. The gap is tightened for boosted applications so you don't get spark blowout when the boost is increased.

So its a tune and drive situation? I am itching to get the NA tune for my limited but the $$$ is scaring me away a bit.

Livernois,

The plugs do not need to be changed with the NA variant of the Explorer. Your tuner will arrive to you completely blank, and ready to read info that will give us your factory calibration. You email that info to us, and we build you your tunes. When they are built we provide you with an app to download to your PC. This app will allow you to connect to our secured remote tuning server. All that you have to do is click "Update Tuner", and that will send us your factory calibration. Once we get that info to our calibration department we will have your custom tuning files ready for you in 24-48 hours. Whenever your tunes are ready to put onto your handheld we will email you letting you know that you can plug your tuner back into your PC and update the tuner again. After that, just load your tune onto your car and have fun!

Also question to Livernois:

The 2016 exploder sport package you got...
Stage 1 includes CAI, tuner/tune, 3bar map, and 160 stat and the gain is around 60 hp and 60 tq?

What about stage two three and four? I see some have down pipe and set of plugs in the picture but the description isn't clear and no info on power gain. Are any of those stock motor/drivetrain friendly?

You are getting INSTALLED and MAIL ORDER kits confused.

There are ZERO longevity concerns with tuning your vehicle. We are not just turning up boost to make more power. We are actually setting your vehicle up to run inside of its most efficient parameters. Here are the typical gains that you can expect:

Tuner-50awhp/70awtq
Level 1-65awhp/80awtq
Level 2-80awhp/90awtq
Level 3-90awhp/105awtq
Level 4-95awhp/110awtq

So its a tune and drive situation? I am itching to get the NA tune for my limited but the $$$ is scaring me away a bit.

This is most definitely a,"You get what you pay for situation". We have tuned NA Explorers from Russia to Florida, without issue.

Timeslips of diffetent stages?

Tuner-50awhp/70awtq
Level 1-65awhp/80awtq
Level 2-80awhp/90awtq
Level 3-90awhp/105awtq
Level 4-95awhp/110awtq

Thanks for the info. I am sure I was confused on installed package and ship to me package.

This is amazing. Even with just tuner, the power/torque gain is incredible. And if that is max gain, I can just see the overall power band raise and mid range pickup will be even better.

Timeslips of diffetent stages?

There are tons of posts that show client timeslips, you can use the search to find them.

Thanks for the info. I am sure I was confused on installed package and ship to me package.

This is amazing. Even with just tuner, the power/torque gain is incredible. And if that is max gain, I can just see the overall power band raise and mid range pickup will be even better.

No problem! I posted the dyno graph when we released our 2016 support...there are peaks of 94whp!

I would love to see a 91 octane tune dyno report with no addons from each of the different tuners

Timeslips are better. Dyno doesn't show improvements in shifting or how much better it is off the line from reduced torque management and turbo lag.

The plugs do not need to be changed with the NA variant of the Explorer. Your tuner will arrive to you completely blank, and ready to read info that will give us your factory calibration. You email that info to us, and we build you your tunes. When they are built we provide you with an app to download to your PC. This app will allow you to connect to our secured remote tuning server. All that you have to do is click "Update Tuner", and that will send us your factory calibration. Once we get that info to our calibration department we will have your custom tuning files ready for you in 24-48 hours. Whenever your tunes are ready to put onto your handheld we will email you letting you know that you can plug your tuner back into your PC and update the tuner again. After that, just load your tune onto your car and have fun!

You are getting INSTALLED and MAIL ORDER kits confused.

There are ZERO longevity concerns with tuning your vehicle. We are not just turning up boost to make more power. We are actually setting your vehicle up to run inside of its most efficient parameters. Here are the typical gains that you can expect:

Tuner-50awhp/70awtq
Level 1-65awhp/80awtq
Level 2-80awhp/90awtq
Level 3-90awhp/105awtq
Level 4-95awhp/110awtq

This is most definitely a,"You get what you pay for situation". We have tuned NA Explorers from Russia to Florida, without issue.

I was quoted via email from livernois that
Around 75whp and 85wtq with that package on 91 octane. Our tuning has and continues to be the best tuning available. You are paying for all of our experience, support and expertise. Nobody holds more firsts nor EcoBoost records than we do. Here is a link to a thread showing that our mail order tuning is better than a tune that was data logged for 2 weeks:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,4365.0.html

much higher than the numbers you quoted above.

please advise

I am not sure if the above is a question...? However, the quoted thread is titled,"Topic: Unleashed tuning and Livernois tuning comparison on my SHO (Read 10714 times)"

There are differences in gains between the SHO and XSport chiefly as the gearing is different.

Heads up:

Had an issue with my ride acting up between 5k-6k rpms.

Torrie at Unleashed Tuning told me a couple reasons why it might be acting up. They were great tips! I went back to stock plugs instead of the one step colder plugs which at first might have been the issue. In the process of changing them out I found a disconnected vacuum line. That was probably the reason for the stumbling at the higher rpms. Since I was halfway through with changing to the stock plugs I continued with the other half. Torrie was nice enough to send me a tune with my current setup of stock plugs with the 170 t-stat and 93. Runs like a beast again. Thanks Torrie! Even after almost three years of purchasing the sct/tunes he backs his product up 100%-even though it was no fault of his own.

Buzz

Heads up:

Had an issue with my ride acting up between 5k-6k rpms.

Torrie at Unleashed Tuning told me a couple reasons why it might be acting up. They were great tips! I went back to stock plugs instead of the one step colder plugs which at first might have been the issue. In the process of changing them out I found a disconnected vacuum line. That was probably the reason for the stumbling at the higher rpms. Since I was halfway through with changing to the stock plugs I continued with the other half. Torrie was nice enough to send me a tune with my current setup of stock plugs with the 170 t-stat and 93. Runs like a beast again. Thanks Torrie! Even after almost three years of purchasing the sct/tunes he backs his product up 100%-even though it was no fault of his own.

Buzz

Yes he has been excellent to deal with, I agree he has supported me several times well past normal support period.

Can you give me an idea where to look for the vacuum line, I have a bit of stumble with my 93 tune at higher RPM's

Back