Upgraded '11 Explorer limted brakes to Sport... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgraded '11 Explorer limted brakes to Sport...

grimloktt

Reaction score
City, State
MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hello all. I wanted to thank this community for helping me find a deal on upgrade brake package for my '11 Ford Explorer Limited...to the sport line.

First off, I want to thank [MENTION=61118]levi[/MENTION]ttownFordSuperCenter for the discounted kits they offer to the forum. The customer service was friendly and responsive. Their packaging could be improved and recommend 4 versus 2 brake line washers. Besides that, the kit appears good to go!

While I didn't have time to do a write-up, I can share a few tips that I learned/applied along the way.

- I placed a plastic bag over the brake fluid reservoir as I heard it slows down fluid leak when the lines are disconnected. I'm not sure if it was that trick or just regular but minimal brake fluid spilled out.

- I have the instructions on how to remove emergency brake cable but they're a bit confusing and I don't have the 4mm tool. It was easier to use three hands (e.g. long pry bar used to lift up spring arm under my thigh), long needle nose plyers to pull the parking brake cable to provide enough slack to pry the end off the brake. For me, it is as difficult as it sounds.

- To install, hook the cable end over the brake spring hook, pull the cable housing towards the front, slide the cable down through the retaining bracket and then let it loose and the cable housing will slide back towards the rear into the bracket.

- The front rotors were stuck on. There are tricks on getting them off, but since I was planning on throwing them away, I just used a hammer hitting from the inside of the vehicle out. The driver side required e to use the back side of an axe...because I needed more mass.

- The front brakes' brass washers were (of course) pressed onto the bolt/lines. I grabbed them with a pair of pliers and 'unscrewed' the washer off the end.

- Make sure you don't drip brake fluid onto your brake rotors/pads.

- I always have a problem bleeding brakes. They take forever. I was attempting to use a single person Mityvac bleeder to no avail. I enlisted my 7 year old daughter, turned on the Explorer and had her pump the brakes while I bled them. It took about 10 seconds each this way.

- I couldn't remember but the rotor screws come out counterclockwise. The fact that my impact driver was not properly working didn't help me figure that one out (it no longer turns under impact--purchased from Harbor Freight--time to purchase a better quality tool).

- Make sure to torque bolts to torque specs. I was surprised how tight the front brake line bolt is torqued!

- Carefully read the front break instructions to ensure you follow all of the right details (inside vs outside pad, G vs L bolt, etc.)

I'll be glad to help answer any questions you may have...

https://goo.gl/photos/YuoL6zkQYyhFm6Fw9

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So before and after feedback on the upgrade? Likely they will take several hundred to a thousand miles to completely bed them in and get full WHOA! Out of them.:thumbsup: Which pads did you use, stock sport or the optional Law Enforcement pad material? I felt like the LE material fit my driving style much better. Better bite, less fade.

So before and after feedback on the upgrade? Likely they will take several hundred to a thousand miles to completely bed them in and get full WHOA! Out of them.:thumbsup: Which pads did you use, stock sport or the optional Law Enforcement pad material? I felt like the LE material fit my driving style much better. Better bite, less fade.

I've only been out on the road with it once since. It's a bit easier to stop but no significant changes on very easy normal stopping. I'm guessing these will really show their true colors under load or intense stopping.

As far as I know, I got the regular pads. I wasn't interested in noisy brakes...

i just did a brake job on my '13 limited a couple weeks ago. I bought everything, got home and took one wheel off only to realize that i actually have the upgraded heavy duty brakes. Was this an option on the limited? I bought mine used and i believe it may have been a rental vehicle prior.

i just did a brake job on my '13 limited a couple weeks ago. I bought everything, got home and took one wheel off only to realize that i actually have the upgraded heavy duty brakes. Was this an option on the limited? I bought mine used and i believe it may have been a rental vehicle prior.

Half way through the 2013 model year the Explorer Engineering Team decided that all Explorers would get the same brake package. Reduced plant part complexity, and reduced brake issues from the smaller kit. The only differences were pad composition.

That means you got one built after the change, you're lucky.

Each year that kit has been improved, even the 2016 Sport brakes have a slightly different rotor design, and pad composition due to complaints of squealing.

My 14 Sport rears squealed bad when new, they replaced everything not just pads.

Update: I've had a chance to let them set in/pair pads/rotors and take a couple more drives. These updated brakes are very nice! Happy....

Can I ask what the kit cost?

Driving (stopping) the wife's 2011 after driving my 2016 sport is horrible.

I did the Levittown pad upgrade to the LE pads, love it, huge difference IMO. I did noticed the read rotors are getting a little more temp than with the OE pads. They never 'blued' with the stock stuff.

Not to hijack this thread, I have a question.
Had to replace the front rotors on my 12 Limited today as the brakes were 'chattering' pads still good.
My question is... Could I have used the larger Sport rotor with the stock Caliper?

Not to hijack this thread, I have a question.
Had to replace the front rotors on my 12 Limited today as the brakes were 'chattering' pads still good.
My question is... Could I have used the larger Sport rotor with the stock Caliper?

No

Back