Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I brought this issue to my service attendant and an update of some kind (not hardware) and it hasn't happened again in 2 years. I am not going to say permanently fixed but its been over 2 years since I had this issue after the update.

I brought this issue to my service attendant and an update of some kind (not hardware) and it hasn't happened again in 2 years. I am not going to say permanently fixed but its been over 2 years since I had this issue after the update.

Perhaps you could transcribe what action he took from your receipt to this forum?

Thanks Shaay and PeterK9 for your responses.

I read on another site to disconnect the battery for an hour to do a reset, which I did but I found it odd that i did not lose any settings after that and then later I got Shaay's post indicating that there was a master reset option available on the unit so I also followed it up with that reset process as well. After I did the master reset I drove about an hour and it was working fine, but as this is really a problem that is intermittent, I will have to get back to you in a week or 2 before I really know for sure if this helped.

Thanks Shaay and PeterK9 for your responses.

I read on another site to disconnect the battery for an hour to do a reset, which I did but I found it odd that i did not lose any settings after that and then later I got Shaay's post indicating that there was a master reset option available on the unit so I also followed it up with that reset process as well. After I did the master reset I drove about an hour and it was working fine, but as this is really a problem that is intermittent, I will have to get back to you in a week or 2 before I really know for sure if this helped.
Have a look at this thread Mike; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427676

Peter

Just following up 24 hours after the master reset. My Explorer is once again driving in the lake, woods and field according to my GPS. The reset did not help.

It's amazing that the "free" app on the cellphone works great but the expensive Ford nav system is useless. I don't see how we should be responsible for this if out of warranty. With the number of people impacted by this shouldn"t Ford issue a recall to fix this problem free of charge.

Just following up 24 hours after the master reset. My Explorer is once again driving in the lake, woods and field according to my GPS. The reset did not help.

It's amazing that the "free" app on the cellphone works great but the expensive Ford nav system is useless. I don't see how we should be responsible for this if out of warranty. With the number of people impacted by this shouldn"t Ford issue a recall to fix this problem free of charge.
Recalls are only issued for 'safety' related issues. I doubt tracking off course would fall under that definition. A TSB could be issued IF there was a known 'fix' for this problem but there doesn't seem to be one other than "try this" or "try that". Also it is difficult to determine if the problem is as widespread as this thread makes it seem. I had no issues with my 2011 nor with my current 2014 vehicle. Also, TSB's are only performed free of charge as long as a warranty is in effect.

Peter

Thanks for the update, Mike57. I understand your concerns. Please visit the dealer to have them diagnose a root cause. The master reset is intended to correct software issues.

Keep me in the loop.

Shaay

My dealer did a software upgrade and fixed it.

I've had this same problem now for over two years. First year, every time I'd bring it in,it would work fine for them. They finally saw it would not have GPS and have reprogrammed it, changed out the GPS mod and said that would work and antenna was inside that. Still didn't work, on to a second dealership and they replaced more computer parts and reprogrammed it again. Found an update, reprogrammed it again and said it was good to go. I drove across Fl from west coast to the east. The full trip it had me in the Gulf of Mexico. I took pictures to prove it. They after I made it to my destination it worked had some idea where I was but still miles off. Took it back and they had it again for a few days and said it's fine now. Wife had two job interview on separate days and was late to both of them with the GPS having no idea where she was and tracking off telling her to turn off while over a bridge. All red X and no sat. I wish I could replace this thing with an aftermarket setup. May be the last ford I buy and I've been a ford guy for years. Is there anything I can tell the dealer to check at this point since now their blaming it on accessories plugged into the lighter. Guess I'll have to let my phone just die while on the road and Stay lost.

When did they replace the GPS module? Has the APIM been replaced?

I don't know that there is a fix for this problem. I have had it on my 2011 Explorer since new. Last time it was at a dealer was about 2-1/2 years ago. They had the vehicle for 3 days and finally found that there were 3 modules that were supposed to communicate with each other, but didn't. They found that the mods were running different versions of the program. They wiped the programs out and reprogrammed with the latest version (at that time) and that helped for a while, but now it's acting up again. I hope the newer Fords with the Blackberry system work better!
-Steve-

Yes, replaced the APIM too. Said the modual wasn't talking to it. then they said the GPS thought it was in Michigan. Replaced it again and again reprogrammed it. Went in the shop again, checked and said no software updates were there until the next morning which they did. I got in it and pulled away with no GPS. Turned around and they kept it again the next day and said it was fine. That was when my wife ended up lost twice in a week trying to get to job interviews. Spent an hour each time and finally when she was able to get to her phone found out where she needed to be was less than 10 mins from where she started.

Yes, replaced the APIM too. Said the modual wasn't talking to it. then they said the GPS thought it was in Michigan. Replaced it again and again reprogrammed it. Went in the shop again, checked and said no software updates were there until the next morning which they did. I got in it and pulled away with no GPS. Turned around and they kept it again the next day and said it was fine. That was when my wife ended up lost twice in a week trying to get to job interviews. Spent an hour each time and finally when she was able to get to her phone found out where she needed to be was less than 10 mins from where she started.

Sounds to me like there is a can-bus communication issue. I doubt several GPS modules have been bad and that the replacement APIM is bad. More advanced troubleshooting is required.

I hope the newer Fords with the Blackberry system work better!
-Steve-
The GPS module is internal to the APIM in SYNC 3. Much better design.

I agree but the dealer now is saying it's fixed again. Told them well be back next week since they didn't do anything to fix it this time. Unless they Nintendo blew it and plugged it back in.

I agree but the dealer now is saying it's fixed again. Told them well be back next week since they didn't do anything to fix it this time. Unless they Nintendo blew it and plugged it back in.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There have been posts reporting that plugged in accessories have interfered with certain functions. Can't recall if navigation was one of them.
Please add the trim (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be very useful info. Thanks.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure, updated. Limited, elect everything, sensors everywhere, bucket second row. All stock stuff.

Nav didn't work when I had nothing plugged in. If a phone charger causes that much interference I really hope Ford went back to the drawing board. My F250 is loaded with electronic to include a dashcam, CB radio, phone chargers, extra cameras, DVDs player and Game system, gages, etc. never once had these problems.

Back