Seat memory issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat memory issues

No; 2nd key is always in drawer at home. The issue is not consistent; seems sometimes the seat computer gets confused. As I write this, I recall moving the seat manually (without key nearby or engine running) a few days back. I am guessing the computer lost count of how far to move seat when it "saw" my key. I find it strange the engineers did not account for this situation.

Are you possibly using 2 different key FOB's? memory is according to key FOB. If not then never mind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could it have anything to do with the easy entry/exit feature. Early models of the 16 have to have the seat module reprogrammed to make that operate correctly.

I'm having the opposite issue with my 2016 Platinum. My husband & I each have our memory positions set but they are not assigned to any key fob because we share one. It's my car but when we go somewhere together, we use it & he drives. I leave the fob in my purse & we use the touch of the handle to unlock the door. I'm a little shorter than my husband & I have the seat set higher & closer. When I get out, the steering wheel moves but the seat just barely backs up & does not lower at all. If he's going to drive, it is almost impossible for him to get in to start the car. On my 2012, when I turned off the car the seat moved all the way back. Did they change that?

We have been having issues with the drivers seat on our 2016 Limited also. I use the #3 memory, and my wife uses #1 . The last time I pushed #3 , it didn't move very much, and I had to manually move the seat to the desired position, along with the pedals. The seat doesn't retract for either of us, and I find it is difficult to get out of. Another annoyance is that she has the lumbar pillows inflated a lot more than I feel comfortable with, and the memory doesn't seem to have any control over these settings.
I am the only one that ever drives the '16 Sport, so I have no idea if that one is working properly or not. I will have to check this week.

I have a 14 Sport. When I hit the seat memory button (1or2) sometimes only the seat will move but not the steering wheel or mirrors. Sometimes only the mirrors move. Same thing happens when I start the truck. The seat, mirror, steering wheel don't always move back to there last position.

Anyone else with this issue?

I had something close on my MKX, with easy Entry/Exit, the steering wheel (reach) suddenly stopped returning to its original setting after getting back in the car. Dealer reprogrammed the memory seat module & it fixed it.

I had a similar issue on my 2014 limited a month or so after I took delivery. The dealer replaced the seat module and it's been fine since.

TB

Auto Seat Memory Doesn't Work

Hi. This worked when I first got my car for a week or so, but recently hasn't been working. I setup my key to be linked to position 1 on the driver memory, by holding until the second beep, then hitting the Lock button on the controlller. However recently, when I get out of the car, the seat backs up and steering wheel goes up, but when I get back in and turn the car on, it doens't move forward.

I first noticed this when me and my wife were in the car and I thought maybe it didn't know which key was the one to move to, but now that I've driven alone a few times, that's not the issue. I tried relinking my key to that memory as well and no beans.

Thoughts?

Any thoughts? Seems like it would need a dealer reprogram to fix? I tried reprogramming all of the keys and it still didn't fix. The seat does allow for easy exit, but never comes back to position like it did when I first got the car.

If you haven't disconnect the battery negative cable for a minute and reconnect it and see if that corrects it?

Try deleting the memory seating off your key and program again.
Mine was not adjusting when starting the vehicle (stayed far back at the easy/entry position).

Try deleting the memory seating off your key and program again.
Mine was not adjusting when starting the vehicle (stayed far back at the easy/entry position).

I tried that... By holding memory seat button until second beep, and then hitting unlock. Then doing the same process and hitting lock again. No beans.

I am experiencing exact same issues as OP on new 2016 Platinum. Expected memory recall for me and my wife for the first few weeks. Her Fob works perfectly, on memory recall 2. And mine works perfect for exit. But on entry, it moves forward, just not all the way. I need to push Memory 1 again for it to move the additional inch or two closer... Very strange. Does taking the battery off for a few minutes fix? I don't want to lose all of our settings.

I am experiencing exact same issues as OP on new 2016 Platinum. Expected memory recall for me and my wife for the first few weeks. Her Fob works perfectly, on memory recall 2. And mine works perfect for exit. But on entry, it moves forward, just not all the way. I need to push Memory 1 again for it to move the additional inch or two closer... Very strange. Does taking the battery off for a few minutes fix? I don't want to lose all of our settings.

We disconnected the battery as I mentioned in a previous post. That didn't help us. Sorry for not posting in a while. 2 weeks ago we took in to the dealer for a loose door trim piece. Dealer replaced it no problem and also took a look at our driver's seat issue. They have ordered a new module for the driver's seat and are replacing it on Tuesday. I'll post again afterward to update everyone.

I had the same problem with my Platinum (everything except the seat went back to position on entry). The battery disconnect worked for me.

Same issue, 2016 sport. Its really annoying when the steering wheel doesn't adjust and is still in the school bus "upright" position.

I had a few minutes last night to hop in and test it a couple times. It appears that having the driver's seat module replaced has fixed the issue of the seat and steering wheel not moving back to correct position when the Entry/Exit feature is in use. Before they would move almost back to their correct position, but not quite. Hope this helps someone. Ours started having the issue only 1 week after we purchased it new.

Taking mine in Tuesday for the same issue. It started about 2 weeks ago with the driving seat not going back to the memory position all the way after starting. Then a few days ago it stopped going to the memory position at all unless I hit memory 1. Now today, the easy entry/exit stopped working all together and stays in one position upon starting and stopping the vehicle. :(

Update on our 2016 Explorer Sport: I'm sad to say our driver's seat memory is back to not working correctly after having a new seat module installed in May 2016. Not only that, but we noticed the seat cover tabs are broken/not connected on the console side of the seat now. We have an appointment to either fix or replace the seat cover. Our dealer is checking with Ford to see what can be done.

On an overall note I'm sad to say we are disappointed so far in the quality of our Explorer. It is not even a year old yet we've had issues with the following:
- Drivers seat memory doesn't work correctly (stopped working correctly after the first week we had it)
- Since they replaced the Driver's seat module the Driver's seat cover is not attached correctly/tabs broken (we have appointment to fix/replace seat cover)
- Second row driver's side seat airbag connector has to be replaced. Airbag light came on. Will be fixed at our scheduled appointment to fix the driver's seat cover.
- About a month ago we heard a constant ticking noise from the front. Service department had to repack or replace front driveshaft on driver's side. Can't remember which one they did. I'd have to look at receipt for details if anyone needs more info.

On a different note, but quality related I just noticed that my 2015 Mustang GT passenger side door is ever so slightly rubbing the front pointed edge of the door and body panel when it opens and closes. I would never have noticed as it doesn't make any rubbing noise or look suspect when opening and closing, but it has caused a piece of paint to come off where it must rub. The car has never been wrecked or mistreated and is just now a year old. It is in pristine shape other than that. Have not taken by the dealer to see what they say about this issue. Any one else have this happen?

Hope this information possibly helps any other owners.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep in mind that if the airbag warning light remains on, the airbag system may be inoperative. As for the door issue, there are posts here about misaligned doors on Explorers. In most cases the dealer was able to realign the doors. Take it to the dealer.

Peter

Back