Front park assist recurring error | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front park assist recurring error

the technicians do not seem to think that is the case for me which is disappointing.

Sounds like they aren't thinking period after changing 3 sensors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same "Park Aid Error" 4th Time!!!

Got the SUV back from the dealership after they replaced the third sensor yesterday. Surprise Surprise! It has happened again today. Extremely infuriating and am losing my patience! :mad:

Timeline:
02/24/16: Front Left Inner Sensor Replaced (Per the receipts from dealer, this was before the SUV was purchased by me).
4/7/2016 - 4/12/2016: Right Inner Sensor Replaced. (Went twice before that and they said they could not reproduce it and finally drove in with the error report)
4/26/2016 - 4/30/2016: Right outer parking aid replaced. (Sent vehicle report from owner.ford.com confirming the issue. Implored them to replace the entire system. Not done)
4/30/2016: Dreaded "Park aid error" occurs again. Emailed report from owner.ford.com to dealer.

[MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] As a first time Ford buyer this whole experience has been very frustrating. I sincerely hope you can work with the dealership to fix the error once and for all.

Suggestions welcome!

On any paper work did they list an actual error code number?

[MENTION=145598]sheltonfilms[/MENTION]
The receipt does list codes.
Front left Inner Sensor: Code: B1B42:96
Front right Inner Sensor: Code: B1B38
Front Right Outer Sensor: Code: B1B136:36

Ok I looked at the wiring diagrams for these sensors. All sensors share the same power and ground wires from the Body Control Module.

Issue you could have:

Bad body control module
Soft set connection either at the BCM or at the inline connector (C134) behind the LH headlight.
Bunch of spread terminals.
Other misc wiring quality issues.

Ford needs to bring a field engineer in for this one. 2nd park sensor would have triggered to me it was something else. Tech sounds like he doesn't know what he is doing.

[MENTION=145598]sheltonfilms[/MENTION] THANK YOU for your detailed analysis. I second the fact that they are just putting out a quick fix without analysis. I have implored them many times to do a full system troubleshooting/fix/replacement but being given the run around. I will call them Monday and ask for what they intend to do next. I intend to show them this thread to see if they will do anything different.
If it is faulty BCM to be blamed, then it sounds like it is a major component for all electronic units in the SUV making me very nervous.:confused:
So far I have been patiently dealing with the dealer directly and let them talk to Ford (assuming they are). I am not lucid as to who makes the call to get a Ford engineer out. I intend to contact Ford directly as well(email if possible).
[MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] I can send you a private message of VIN/Purchase Details/Dealer info etc if you are willing to help out.

When multiple sensor show defective the first thing in the service manual is to check the main sensor harness. This should have been done when the 2nd sensor showed a fault. What are the detailed comments in the repair orders? As mentioned earlier...do they list the error code?

Sounds like your issue is with a bad service department. If they are not competent time for a new dealer. While this does suck sometimes it is the best remedy. The most common cause of these type of sensor issues is a bad main harness as water, etc gets in them. I believe this was mentioned earlier as well. It shouldn't take having a Ford engineer to come and inspect it. The service manual has detailed instructions for testing the connectors and harnesses.

[MENTION=145598]sheltonfilms[/MENTION] THANK YOU for your detailed analysis. I second the fact that they are just putting out a quick fix without analysis. I have implored them many times to do a full system troubleshooting/fix/replacement but being given the run around. I will call them Monday and ask for what they intend to do next. I intend to show them this thread to see if they will do anything different.
If it is faulty BCM to be blamed, then it sounds like it is a major component for all electronic units in the SUV making me very nervous.:confused:
So far I have been patiently dealing with the dealer directly and let them talk to Ford (assuming they are). I am not lucid as to who makes the call to get a Ford engineer out. I intend to contact Ford directly as well(email if possible).
[MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] I can send you a private message of VIN/Purchase Details/Dealer info etc if you are willing to help out.

I think you should go ahead and send a certified letter to the manufacturer.

Ford Motor Company
16800 Executive Plaza Drive
Mail Drop 3NE-B
Dearborn, MI 48126

Makes sure you include your name, VIN#, and all copies of dealer repair reports. Also state that you are giving ONE attempt after receiving letter to fix the issue.

This sends a code RED to Ford that you are about to file a lemon law complaint without actually saying "I'm gonna file a lemon law complaint."

Not saying you will file a complaint because usually this step gets things done.

I believe the issue is really simple and the service department isn't the greatest at troubleshooting.

[MENTION=145598]sheltonfilms[/MENTION] Thank you for the details especially the mail address. I am guessing it is a direct mailing address as that address is not mentioned in the Ford Owner website.
[MENTION=264213]jmr061[/MENTION] Added images of the notes by the Service Technician.
2/24/2016:
JA8mu7Q.jpg

4/12/2016:
8Z53LjW.jpg

4/29/2016:
GdDaNBO.jpg

The update I have is the dealer is again willing to look at it sometime this week. I mentioned my displeasure and their failure but the same routine of leaving the SUV at their dealership is what is being suggested. I will press them on details if they contacted Ford or if they will have a Ford Engineer this time when I drop it. I drive quite a distance to get to the dealer each time and wonder if I should take it to a different dealer.
[MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] Third attempt to reach out to you.

Address is located in owners manual page 260.

shrekfiona;3532382 [MENTION=157968 said:
FordService[/MENTION] I can send you a private message of VIN/Purchase Details/Dealer info etc if you are willing to help out.
FordService is only a 'go between' the customer and the Regional Customer Service Manager to help address vehicle issues. They do not interact with Ford.

Peter

[MENTION=145598]sheltonfilms[/MENTION] Thank you for the details especially the mail address. I am guessing it is a direct mailing address as that address is not mentioned in the Ford Owner website.
[MENTION=264213]jmr061[/MENTION] Added images of the notes by the Service Technician.
2/24/2016:
JA8mu7Q.jpg

4/12/2016:
8Z53LjW.jpg

4/29/2016:
GdDaNBO.jpg

The update I have is the dealer is again willing to look at it sometime this week. I mentioned my displeasure and their failure but the same routine of leaving the SUV at their dealership is what is being suggested. I will press them on details if they contacted Ford or if they will have a Ford Engineer this time when I drop it. I drive quite a distance to get to the dealer each time and wonder if I should take it to a different dealer.
[MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] Third attempt to reach out to you.

PAM DTC Fault Trigger Conditions

DTC Description Fault Trigger Conditions
B1B36:96 Right Front Outer Sensor: Component Internal Failure A continuous memory and on-demand DTC that sets when the RHF outer parking aid sensor has internally failed or has an incorrect attenuation time.
B1B38:96 Right Front Inner Sensor: Component Internal Failure A continuous memory and on-demand DTC that sets when the RHF inner parking aid sensor has internally failed or has an incorrect attenuation time.
B1B40:96 Left Front Outer Sensor: Component Internal Failure A continuous memory and on-demand DTC that sets when the LHF outer parking aid sensor has internally failed or has an incorrect attenuation time.
B1B42:96 Left Front Inner Sensor: Component Internal Failure A continuous memory and on-demand DTC that sets when the LHF inner parking aid sensor has internally failed or has an incorrect attenuation time.

Possible Sources

Front parking aid sensor
PAM (integral to the BCM)
NOTE: Before disconnecting the BCM or any of the parking aid sensors, verify the connectors are properly seated and latched.

PINPOINT TEST I : B1B36:96, B1B38:96, B1B40:96, B1B42:96 I1 CHECK THE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) FROM THE PAM (PARKING ASSIST CONTROL MODULE) SELF-TEST
Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform the PAM self-test.
Check the PAM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).

Are parking aid Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) other than B1B36:96, B1B38:96, B1B40:96 or B1B42:96 recorded?

Yes For all other Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) REFER to the DTC Chart in this section

No GO to I2

I2 CHECK THE PARKING AID SENSOR DISTANCE PARAMETER IDENTIFICATIONS (PIDS) WITH NO OBJECTS IN FRONT OF THE VEHICLE
NOTE: Make sure the area around the vehicle is clear of anything that can activate the parking aid system.

Clean the front bumper and sensors with high-pressure water.
Make sure the parking aid sensors are flush-mounted in their bezel.
Ignition ON.
Using a diagnostic scan tool, monitor the PAM parking aid sensor distance Parameter Identifications (PIDs) (LFI_DIST, LFO_DIST, RFI_DIST, RFO_DIST). The PID reads 2,540mm (100in) on a correctly functioning sensor.

Does the PID read 2,540mm (100in)?

Yes GO to I3

No GO to I4

I3 CHECK THE PARKING AID SENSOR DISTANCE PARAMETER IDENTIFICATIONS (PIDS) WITH A TEST OBJECT IN FRONT OF THE VEHICLE
NOTE: Make sure the area around the vehicle is clear of anything that can activate the parking aid system.

Using a diagnostic scan tool, monitor the PAM parking aid sensor distance Parameter Identifications (PIDs) (LFI_DIST, LFO_DIST, RFI_DIST, RFO_DIST).
While monitoring the Parameter Identifications (PIDs), move a test object into and out of the detection zone behind each sensor. For an example of a test object,
REFER to: Azimuth System Check (413-13A Parking Aid - Vehicles With: Rear Parking Aid, General Procedures).

Does the PID approximately match the distance from the test object to the front bumper of the vehicle?

Yes GO to I5

No GO to I4

I4 CHECK THE PARKING AID SENSORS
Ignition OFF.
Install a new sensor for the suspect parking aid sensor.
REFER to: Front Parking Aid Sensor (413-13A Parking Aid - Vehicles With: Rear Parking Aid, Removal and Installation).

Ignition ON.
Using a diagnostic scan tool, clear the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). Repeat the self-test. Operate the system and verify the concern is still present.

Is the concern still present?

Yes GO to I5

No INSTALL a new rear parking aid sensor.
REFER to: Rear Parking Aid Sensor (413-13A Parking Aid - Vehicles With: Rear Parking Aid, Removal and Installation).

I5 CHECK FOR CORRECT BCM (BODY CONTROL MODULE) OPERATION
Ignition OFF.
Disconnect and inspect all BCM and related in-line connectors.
Repair:
corrosion (install new connector or terminals – clean module pins)
damaged or bent pins – install new terminals/pins
pushed-out pins – install new pins as necessary
Reconnect the BCM and related in-line connectors. Make sure they seat and latch correctly.
Operate the system and determine if the concern is still present.

Is the concern still present?

[MENTION=264213]jmr061[/MENTION] Thank you! The troubleshooting that the members of this forum do for other members is simply awesome!!! :thumbsup:
The error is occurring again just like before. Starts of intermittently and then proceeds to do it all the time.
Both Jason and [MENTION=145598]sheltonfilms[/MENTION] are suggesting that there may be a faulty BCM. I will share this information with the dealer when I get the appointment and sincerely hope 4th time is the charm(perhaps am being too patient with the dealer/Ford I do not know).

updates?

so if I read this all correctly.

3 sensors replaced - all in the front bumper - replacement seems to make the issue go away - never a failure in the rear sensors - no erratic behavior (IE no chimes when nothing is present).

has it had an issue since. I'm still partially thinking without an equal issues in the rear - that the electronics are OK - and that you have either a front sensor harness issue or a bad set of sensors in your front bumper.

Why I say that - the sensors and it's wire harness are put in where the bumper is made, painted together, and packaged for the factory - it's possible either could have gotten damaged at any point in that process. The rear bumper is the same way - but again could have been on different days, different lots for the sensors or the harness etc.

Unfortunately without watching the dealer tech do the job - you have to assume they are doing the actual tests. I know of places where they replace the parts (or say they do) and claim they do all the troubleshooting tests - and since it's warranty work they bill ford for it all - but do the simplest part of the work. RnR some component.

(or in some cases they don't even do that).

And before it gets said - There is a toyota dealer in my town that's been busted for the exact same thing - on TV.

[MENTION=286674]Napalm[/MENTION] The issue occurred the day after I drove it back after the third sensor was replaced by the dealer. Like before it gets progressively worse. Now the Park Aid error happens every time I turn my SUV on.
Since this was the third time, I contacted ford support as suggested. The [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] here did not respond so far.
In any case, as of now, I have contacted the dealer and waiting for an appointment to drop my SUV at their place. I am starting to wonder if am being given the run around and should consider alternate ways to resolve this.

when our sensor was damaged ours did that to - they are initialized upon start up.

wait till you have a low tire - will drive you bat **** crazy.

anyway -

I don't know what else to tell you with the car sight unseen. If they replaced another sensors - and it was the forth forward bumper sensor that's been unaffected - well my theory would hold some water.

if it was one of the other sensors that's already been replaced before - I'd be wanting the BCM module replaced and maybe both harnesses.

I'm starting to think you have a wire harness issue and it might not even be related to the parking sensors - it might be the harness to the BCM is chaffed and grounding out those wires specifically.

do you have another dealer you could go to easily? I often recommend people go to another dealer to have a repetitive problem checked. if that's not easy then of course don't bother and call ford.

[MENTION=286674]Napalm[/MENTION] The issue occurred the day after I drove it back after the third sensor was replaced by the dealer. Like before it gets progressively worse. Now the Park Aid error happens every time I turn my SUV on.
Since this was the third time, I contacted ford support as suggested. The [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] here did not respond so far.
In any case, as of now, I have contacted the dealer and waiting for an appointment to drop my SUV at their place. I am starting to wonder if am being given the run around and should consider alternate ways to resolve this.
Have you tried send FordService a PM using their link? They usually monitor more than just these threads.

Peter

Hi,
SUV is back at the dealer again today as they attempt to fix it the 4th time. Today the service director was there and his preliminary analysis in 5 minutes was that one of the rear sensor had died. I told him the whole story of this being the 4th sensor replacement. The response was that they connect to the computer and go by the codes that computer pull. That was very disappointing to hear(many members here had correctly postulated that). I mentioned the troubleshooting done by the members but that did not seem to have registered. I asked him to get a Ford Engineer to look at it. He said he will get a Ford Engineer on phone to troubleshoot with them (did not sound promising).
In the meantime, took the advice of many and had contacted Ford via email and snail mail. Got response from their Customer Service Manager who said they will work with the dealer. Sounded like they were not aware of the issue. Hoping Ford Motors take this issue seriously. Fingers Crossed and hoping 4th time is the charm.

Shrek

Hi,
SUV is back at the dealer again today as they attempt to fix it the 4th time. Today the service director was there and his preliminary analysis in 5 minutes was that one of the rear sensor had died. I told him the whole story of this being the 4th sensor replacement. The response was that they connect to the computer and go by the codes that computer pull. That was very disappointing to hear(many members here had correctly postulated that). I mentioned the troubleshooting done by the members but that did not seem to have registered. I asked him to get a Ford Engineer to look at it. He said he will get a Ford Engineer on phone to troubleshoot with them (did not sound promising).
In the meantime, took the advice of many and had contacted Ford via email and snail mail. Got response from their Customer Service Manager who said they will work with the dealer. Sounded like they were not aware of the issue. Hoping Ford Motors take this issue seriously. Fingers Crossed and hoping 4th time is the charm.

Shrek

Need to check my diagrams to make sure but:

I'm putting 100 dollars down on the BCM or BCM connection being the culprit.

The fact that now you have a rear sensor screams BCM or BCM connection.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes that puts a nail in the coffin of my first theory.

well good luck - sorry this sucks so hard. but I'd put 5 on the modules(s) too.

Back