Replacing Seat Filters | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Seat Filters

I had over 153,000 miles on my old 2011 Limited before trading in for the 2016 XLT. I never did have the cooled seat filters changed. My seats always worked great. I did vacuum the filter a couple times. though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For everyone's information the "new" replacement filter for the 11-15 is nothing more than the plastic housing with holes in it. No screen, no filter. If anyone is looking for some that have the filter element yet I have a few left from when I had my Taurus. I sold some for $20 each shipped.

Jmr061 is absolutely correct. I just spent 2 hours trying to replace my cabin air filter since my explorer was already at 30000 miles. With a lot of precautions also, i ended up breaking the round plastic hook in which the plastic retainer goes. It was hell to push in the left retainer back in. Never ever am I going to try to change that myself.

Also wanted to change the seat filters since my sport has heated/cooled seats. I was thinking that the filters must be damn dirty with pet hair etc. Found out that they are a joke on the name of filter. I will more so call them lifetime filter (hah!) since they will never ever catch any dirt or even pet hair. Anyways spent 2 hrs to save 20 - 40 bucks and ended up breaking my glovebox hook. Will need to call dealer to order glovebox door.

I have wondered if those pins in the glove box are even needed???

I have wondered if those pins in the glove box are even needed???

Jason, the glove box door is about 350.00 USD. Your statement tells me that as long as the glove box door is closing and opening fine, I shall not worry about replacing the door just because of one plastic round hook.

"WHITE PINS"...To change the Cabin Air Filter the glove box must be removed. While searching for the Brake Controller connection, I attempted to remove the glove box so I could look behind it. I saw a video on YouTube so I knew what was needed. There are two white pins that secure the Glove Box to the dash. The pin on the left came right out but the pin on the right could not be removed, part of the pin is paddle shaped and that was right up against what looked like part of the passenger air bag. I was able to get a side cutter on the paddle and cut off about 3/16" at that point it came right out. Removed the box saw where the Air Filter goes and reinstalled the glove box. This time the right pin went right back in but the left pin did not want to go in. There is a grove in the pin that must line up with a ridge and the paddle shaped part kept hitting the air bag part. I trimmed off 3/16" off the paddle and the left pin went back in. I used a mirror to see what I was doing with the white pins. If you lay on your back looking up and need to cut the paddles, wear eye protection. The SUV is two weeks old so I was really just exploring the Explorer!

"WHITE PINS"...To change the Cabin Air Filter the glove box must be removed. While searching for the Brake Controller connection, I attempted to remove the glove box so I could look behind it. I saw a video on YouTube so I knew what was needed. There are two white pins that secure the Glove Box to the dash. The pin on the left came right out but the pin on the right could not be removed, part of the pin is paddle shaped and that was right up against what looked like part of the passenger air bag. I was able to get a side cutter on the paddle and cut off about 3/16" at that point it came right out. Removed the box saw where the Air Filter goes and reinstalled the glove box. This time the right pin went right back in but the left pin did not want to go in. There is a grove in the pin that must line up with a ridge and the paddle shaped part kept hitting the air bag part. I trimmed off 3/16" off the paddle and the left pin went back in. I used a mirror to see what I was doing with the white pins. If you lay on your back looking up and need to cut the paddles, wear eye protection. The SUV is two weeks old so I was really just exploring the Explorer!
Andy, I saw the video myself. It all seemed so easy to see how things are done in the video but man o man. This was freaking tough. I ended up breaking a part. I was going to get the dealer to replace the Glovebox but after Jason's comments decided to see how it behaves with the broken pin. So far so good and things are holding up just fine. Can't stop beating myself as to why did I even try knowing I am not good with the delicate things.

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer Limited. I was told I needed to replace the heat filters since I have 115,000 miles on the vehicle. I do use these quite extensively. I can’t seem to figure out how to get them off. They are in a tight spot behind the front driver seat.

5CFE23EB-14B1-4FF4-AF0F-460871E141E8.jpeg 198EA586-3546-4E50-828F-8798D06A5114.jpeg

I faced the same issue with my MKX, check my post about it. It seems to have been a design change as newer Fords list them as lifetime filters in the owners manual.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/18026-seat-filter-for-cooled-seats-design-changed/

Thanks, I had though they changed the design on them, they should have listed them as a different part number and changed the box label if they are going to change them to lifetime filters. FS104LT would have been a good way to labeled them as a replacement part and would have let us know that these are acceptable alternative to the old part.

I got mine from o'rielly auto parts. Same motorcraft # about $29 each. However if you hardly ever use them like my wife, just remove and inspect as they are probably fine.

I sent back the ones I ordered. As you can see in the picture they are still in good conditions and I just took a vaccum hose to them to suck up any dust that might still be present. I will just keep checking every 15k miles or so to make sure, its not like they are hard to take off and put back on.

A pin could probably be fashioned out of wood. There is a groove in the pin that must be lined up with a ridge in the channel the pin slides in. On my Explorer they put the pins in first and then installed what looks like the control box for the passenger air bag causing that box to block the pins. Cutting the "paddles" on the pins allowed them to clear the air bag box. I remember my Dad always telling me not to force things.

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer Limited. I was told I needed to replace the heat filters since I have 115,000 miles on the vehicle. I do use these quite extensively. I can’t seem to figure out how to get them off. They are in a tight spot behind the front driver seat.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one. According to your Owner's Manual, the filters do not require replacement.
Climate Controlled Seat Air Filter
Replacement
Your vehicle is equipped with lifetime air
filters that are integrated with the seats.
Regular maintenance or replacement is
not required

Peter

Back