Brembo Brake Calipers - 2015 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brembo Brake Calipers - 2015 Explorer Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone put Brembo's on the Explorer? Likes? Dislikes? Which kit? Price?

Does anyone know if you can just get the awesome red calipers to replace the OEM calipers?

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/77A2862A3273773.aspx

So far no one has really needed anything more than the Sport/Police brake system.

A few have painted there OEM calipers black or red.

Did I read that correctly, $4000.00usd for that kit? Yikes that better be superior to the OEM stuff for that kinda coin.

Yeah, I'm not paying $4K, that's why I'm asking about the calipers only... I think red would look pretty sharp.

...or you can save lots of dough and get the lovely cheesy 'calliper covers' and fool all your friends.
fallaughemoticon_zps71426950.gif

Calipercovers_zpsb59a9685.jpg

Yeah, I'm not paying $4K, that's why I'm asking about the calipers only... I think red would look pretty sharp.

You can always paint them yourself with high temp paint, but it will still peel off in time.
Or you can take the entire caliper assembly to be powerder coated at a specialty shop.

My buddy with his Corvette took his calipers to a paintshop, paid to have them powdercoated after disassembly and cleaning. They even polished the raised Corvette lettering and they looked amazing. $285can for all four that's not bad for Canuckastan.

My buddy with his Corvette took his calipers to a paintshop, paid to have them powdercoated after disassembly and cleaning. They even polished the raised Corvette lettering and they looked amazing. $285can for all four that's not bad for Canuckastan.

Very nice! I'd pay that!

I was thinking a gloss black might look good on a Black Sport, I'm hesitant to try a such a bold red on a dark Sport

I was thinking a gloss black might look good on a Black Sport, I'm hesitant to try a such a bold red on a dark Sport

Awwww, I like that idea.

NAPA Eclipse calipers are black powder coated right out of the box. Local, lifetime warranty, and reasonably priced. JMO

http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/s...13&catId=3.13&catIndex=App&isApplication=true

My Saab calipers had rusted out. I sanded them down and brush painted them silver with the G2 caliper paint ($30) and put red vinyl "SAAB" stickers on them ($6). The paint is smooth looking. The vinyl stickers are a deep red, which fades to pink in pics. Stickers and paint holding up great years later. Did not spray clear over the stickers. They just hold up fine on their own. Also got Akebono ceramic pads so no brake dust getting on them - plus the slotted/cross drilled rotors which are just an appearance thing. Don't help performance. All can be done easily enough on an Ex.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2lks0aw.jpg

My Saab calipers had rusted out. I sanded them down and brush painted them silver with the G2 caliper paint ($30) and put red vinyl "SAAB" stickers on them ($6). The paint is smooth looking. The vinyl stickers are a deep red, which fades to pink in pics. Stickers and paint holding up great years later. Did not spray clear over the stickers. They just hold up fine on their own. Also got Akebono ceramic pads so no brake dust getting on them - plus the slotted/cross drilled rotors which are just an appearance thing. Don't help performance. All can be done easily enough on an Ex.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2lks0aw.jpg

Clean look and definitely better than seeing rust.

Plasti Dip can be your friend... Just about any color you may want. Sprayed some Nissan 4-pot calipers last weekend. Very easy with little masking.

If you don't like it--peel it off!

I current DD a car and race another car that have painted calipers.

Use paints that specifically mention high temp and ceramic in the descriptions. I got mine from VHT I believe.

anywho - prep work like all applications is imperative. Caliper removal - through cleaning - drying - taping off of the rubber bits and the seals etc.

paint 2 solid but even coatings - then after a good hour plus - add another light even coating.

let cure hours before attempting assembly. Easy peasy. In the one car I actually bought a set of additional calipers so I had them painted days before I but them on the car.

7 years later nary a peel - and that's after track use and very hot brake temps.

VHT with clear.

image_zpsu94kbfra.jpg

image_zpst9xcekpy.jpg

image_zpsyhehhwwx.jpg

image_zpsdxyoroyw.jpg

Back