Explorer hood vibrates | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer hood vibrates

Not sure if that engine is direct injected (The 3.5L Ecoboost is), but sounds like the normal sound of a direct injection engine. Fuel is hi-pressurized and injection system has a sound like diesel clatter. I'm still getting used to it on mine - I really only hear it at idle; always sounds to me like valve or lifter problems but I've been assured it's normal.

It's perfectly normal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My explorer XLT ecoboost (800 miles) was driving exceptionally badly again today. Was loud, lagging pick up and almost stalled once when I was trying to accelerate. I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow morning. Seems like the problem is not consistent....

My MPG is 16.2 for the first 800 miles...

Sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_mYFMNYR7g

MPG image: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utClVsPXAe4&feature=youtu.be

Are you using premium 91 octane or higher fuel?

No, not using premium. 87.

Should I use premium?

Though all EX (NA and Turbos) are factory "tuned" to run on 87, the rated hp/tq are actually based on 91 octane and higher (as per fine print).
I may be old school, but strongly beleive all FI (forced induction) vehicles shounldn't run on anything less than 91.

It's a low cost and easy method of troubleshooting for you to try for a bit to see if it eliminates your issue.

Thank you for the reply. I will certainly try 91!

I may be old school, but strongly beleive all FI (forced induction) vehicles shounldn't run on anything less than 91.

I'm also "old school" and agree that use of a higher octane fuel is prudent in any turbocharged or supercharged engine. I also believe there are benefits to using Top Tier Detergent Gasoline in these engines. More info about Top Tier Gas here:

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Though all EX (NA and Turbos) are factory "tuned" to run on 87, the rated hp/tq are actually based on 91 octane and higher (as per fine print).

It's a low cost and easy method of troubleshooting for you to try for a bit to see if it eliminates your issue.
Fine print says 93 octane for peak performance. I tried 91 for several months and went back to 87 since the only difference I noticed was price of the gas.

Peter

Thanks for your replies. 2 dealerships both said the engine is running perfectly. Good news!

I'm still going to try premium at next fill up.
Running premium gasoline in a NA 3.5L engine that calls for regular 87 octane is just a waste of money. No benefit will be gained.

Peter

I will say that it didn't matter if I had the radio on full blast, the noise was unmistakable.

Can you describe the sound? Mine has a sound like one window is open and the others are not. It seems to increase with speed.

Yes sounds like the same issue. For me it happened when the cowl would get hot later in the day. Was a quick fix and no issues since.

Running premium gasoline in a NA 3.5L engine that calls for regular 87 octane is just a waste of money. No benefit will be gained.

Peter

Peter,
She has the 2.3L Ecoboost engine.

I'm still going to try premium at next fill up.

You should run at least a couple of full tanks of premium gas to see if you notice any difference in performance. My wife has the 2.0L Ecoboost in her 2013 Escape. We have been putting 93 octane premium in the Escape since day one. Great performance, decent gas mileage and zero engine issues. Escape now has 60,000 miles on it. Did the first oil change at 1,000 miles and every 6,000 miles since the first oil change with Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance Full Synthetic. Never uses a drop of oil. I believe a direct injected turbo charged engine will perform better and last longer with premium gas and full synthetic oil. If you lease or buy and don't keep your vehicles very long, then use the lowest cost gas and oil you can find.

Peter,
She has the 2.3L Ecoboost engine.
My mistake. When I checked the profile and saw XLT I thought it was the NA 3.5L. Thanks for clarifying.:thumbsup:

Peter

Help!! I have the same issue 2016 Explorer Sport the hood vibrate at 65mph or over but no humming noise, I brought it to my nearest Ford Service and the Manager said they are aware of it but couldn't do anything about it & they are waiting for the Ford to find a solution to fix it.

My 2016 has the hum. The hood skin does vibrate, but that does not appear to be the source of the sound. Probably the cowl on the passenger side.

Anyone manage to fix this annoyance themselves?

Upon close inspection, I found that two clips that hold the cowl tight to the windshield are broken on the passenger side. I'll bet that part starts to vibrate at speed causing the "hum". I'll tape the edge down and see if that stops the noise, as I suspect it will.

Then it's back to the dealer where I'm pretty sure the ham-handed ape that installed my remote start was responsible for breaking the clips.

Taping the edge of the cowl down did eliminate the noise. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the cowl under warranty. The buzzing is gone.

The part appears to be a defective design. The clips that hold the cowl are a molded part of the cowl. When they break they can not be replaced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all, When we hit 80 on the highway and, especially if it's windy, there is a vibration and humming noise from the passenger side at the top of the dashboard. Maybe has to do with windshield wiper. It's still under warranty, wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if it's an easy fix?

Back