• Register Today It's free!

FordPass Mobile App

nitzer51

Reaction score
City, State
seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer LTD
well i think this pretty much is the last nail in the coffin for those of us with the Ford Remote Access app who were hoping to get some kind of app update.

https://www.fordpass.com/

Would it kill Ford to make this app backwards compatible with Remote Access?
I know, I know this is a native ford app the other was outsourced... but still maybe ford could encourage that company to update Ford Remote Access...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"compatible with select 2017 vehicles"

Looks like it may be Sync3.

I just had this installed in a work vehicle, had I seen it before I bought the Ford cellular remote start kit I would have chosen it over the OEM Ford system.

www.dronemobile.com

I just had this installed in a work vehicle, had I seen it before I bought the Ford cellular remote start kit I would have chosen it over the OEM Ford system.

www.dronemobile.com

Yea. Tell me about it!! And they are based in Seattle. I walk by the office they filmed the intro video at every day. How did I not know about these guys?!? Doh!

Well just another reason for me to upgrade my car... Right? Haha

Yea. Tell me about it!! And they are based in Seattle. I walk by the office they filmed the intro video at every day. How did I not know about these guys?!? Doh!

Well just another reason for me to upgrade my car... Right? Haha
I might have to upgrade my phone! ;)

Peter

I believe there's a monthly subscription that goes with drone mobile.

It looks to be annual subscriptions.

That is the same with ford remote access I pay $50 a year for that piece of crap app that hasn't been updated since 2013... Minor bitter though

That is the same with ford remote access I pay $50 a year for that piece of crap app that hasn't been updated since 2013... Minor bitter though
What more do you want it to do? It will start the Ex, shut it off, lock/unlock doors. To do anything more, like gps location, it would need new hardware in the Explorer.

It is far from elegant, but it works as promised.

Our issue is with the lack of features as compared to the other OEM's and how quickly they have added new features and Ford Remote has not.

The DroneMobile is less upfront cost than the Ford OEM system and its feature rich right out of the box.

Your right there is a subscription its $99 year but that's a Premium Service with connections to all vehicle data, GPS mapping of your vehicle, connections to the fuel pump if you want to be able to shut it off incase of theft and many more

The GM/OnStar app essentially sends you complete diagnostics to your phone.

Its not a big deal to pull some data similar to whats available at the OBDII port and push it to the remote App.

Tire pressure, coolant temp, battery status, oil life/temp,fuel gauge, etc, etc.

Now with FordPass I think development of this program is very limited if not deceased.

Our issue is with the lack of features as compared to the other OEM's and how quickly they have added new features and Ford Remote has not.

The DroneMobile is less upfront cost than the Ford OEM system and its feature rich right out of the box.

Your right there is a subscription its $99 year but that's a Premium Service with connections to all vehicle data, GPS mapping of your vehicle, connections to the fuel pump if you want to be able to shut it off incase of theft and many more

The GM/OnStar app essentially sends you complete diagnostics to your phone.

Its not a big deal to pull some data similar to whats available at the OBDII port and push it to the remote App.

Tire pressure, coolant temp, battery status, oil life/temp,fuel gauge, etc, etc.

Now with FordPass I think development of this program is very limited if not deceased.

Yea. What he said. Additionally, they haven't updated the app since 2013 so the UI doesn't even work. My signal and battery indicators are black on a navy screen. Also- they could easily update it with Apple Watch compatibility.

I do understand it would be nice to have more embedded features in Sync2, but unfortunately, it isn't OnStar, so there is nothing interfaced for an App to access.

I knew what I was getting when I had mine installed. Remote start and access, and nothing more. From that perspective, I'm satisfied.

Remember the Ford Remote Cellular system isn't talking to MFT/SYNC2 its talking to BCM/PCM. When it pulls the current basic information its also able to pull all that other information, they just chose not to write the App to display it.

When I plug in my SCT X4 to OBDII port I get all that extra info displayed.

Given the seriousness of tire pressures and how the FireStone/Explorer fiasco caused the TPMS systems to become mandatory for all vehicles in NA would it kill them to let me see what my tires PSI is on my phone or Drivers Info Center?

When I buy software related systems I'm expecting some future development. OnStar has a couple updates a year to their mobile App and so do the other OEM's.

When I bought my VivintSky home Security System, they delivered what they promised but as well continually update their mobile App along with their base system. Every few months they come out with more features to make the user's life easier. That's all I was looking for.

I get it Sarge. I guess my point is that what I purchased was a remote start system, and I didn't expect anything more. The cellular system is really just a juiced up version of the long range system I put on my 2011.

Maybe with Sync3, Ford will finally bring out the features and integration that would have been great to have over the past 5 years.

Ultimately, I made my choice on buying the '16 not on electronics, but on economics. I don't expect any additional meaningful updates on Sync2.

FordPass

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ford.fordpass

3rd ¶

"VEHICLE CONTROLS – A powerful set of keyless controls lets you start, stop, lock, unlock and schedule predetermined starts. This feature is currently available to select 2017 Ford Escape and Ford Fusion models, but will eventually be released to all Ford vehicles including the F150 and more". :)

FordPass

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ford.fordpass

3rd ¶

"VEHICLE CONTROLS – A powerful set of keyless controls lets you start, stop, lock, unlock and schedule predetermined starts. This feature is currently available to select 2017 Ford Escape and Ford Fusion models, but will eventually be released to all Ford vehicles including the F150 and more". :)

Yes all Ford vehicles including F150....you forgot to add the additional nugget of info........"with SYNC3"

Aftermarket support will always be light years ahead of OEM.
Drone is an extension of Compustar (the manufacturer of the hardware) and I had my first alarm/autostart system installed with their product back in 2001.

Going back 15yrs ago, there were no vehicles (well not may) that offered what these systems provided (proximity lock/unlock, temp control autstart, turbo timer etc...).

GM is so far ahead of Ford when it comes to items like this. Maybe it is because OnStar has been out for so long and is so stable? A commitment to value added features?

I don't wish unemployment on anyone, but if Ford didn't fire the people who directed the design and implementation of Sync, I'm at a loss at to why. I guess they did get rid of Microsoft.

I'll not turn this into another "what's wrong with Sync" thread, but features like the ones GM has offered are only possible with true integration of the electronics within the vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

has anyone successfully installed the Drone Mobile system in their explorer? Are there any other options out there besides the Ford version and the Drone Mobile?

i have a 2016 that i would really like to have this sort of remote start / unlock system. I have one on another car and its really useful....

Back