Downshifting issue - especially on hills | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Downshifting issue - especially on hills

sjpickens

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer LTD
I have a 2016 4WD LTD Explorer. The area I drive in is pretty hilly and I am daily going down large grades and slowing down for traffic lights at the bottom or to turn. When slowing down around 45mph, the transmission doesn't downshift and hangs at about 2200 rpm until my speed is at about 38mph and then it finally downshifts. Many times you can feel somewhat of a lurch when it finally shifts. If I go faster down the grade avoiding the 40-45mph speed and brake faster, the transmission downshifts just fine. Anyone else experiences this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, normal.. there have been past discussions about this very thing since 2011.

38mph is the "sweet" spot where the EX automatically engine brakes.

I'm noticing similar issue on my 2016 Limited Ex. I haven't completely nailed down the precise speed, conditions in which it happens. But, your description seems like my issue. It shouldn't be accepted as "the way it goes". I guess I'll need to drive into these other posts from as far back as 2011 models.

It isn't an issue if it is designed that way and acting as it should. You may not personally like it but it is working as designed and is not a defect.

I'm noticing similar issue on my 2016 Limited Ex. I haven't completely nailed down the precise speed, conditions in which it happens. But, your description seems like my issue. It shouldn't be accepted as "the way it goes". I guess I'll need to drive into these other posts from as far back as 2011 models.

There's a solution and that is to shift yourself using the steering wheel paddles.

It isn't an issue if it is designed that way and acting as it should. You may not personally like it but it is working as designed and is not a defect.

Folks, this one outlier rough shifting, likely at one single point in the rpm/speed scheme, as described above, and not happening at other speeds/rpms; cannot be "as designed". If that were the case, shy wouldn't it do this at every shift point?

Folks, this one outlier rough shifting, likely at one single point in the rpm/speed scheme, as described above, and not happening at other speeds/rpms; cannot be "as designed". If that were the case, shy wouldn't it do this at every shift point?

How is it an outlier, if it downshifts every single time when slowing down to 38mph?

How is it an outlier, if it downshifts every single time when slowing down to 38mph?

What I'm saying is: from my experience, the first time it happened, it was rough enough that I looked in the mirror to see if I'd been rear-ended. That effect seems to be unintended. Or, it should be unintended, in my opinion. it feels like I'm driving my '78 T bird, with the leaky auto xmsn, again.

What I'm saying is: from my experience, the first time it happened, it was rough enough that I looked in the mirror to see if I'd been rear-ended. That effect seems to be unintended. Or, it should be unintended, in my opinion. it feels like I'm driving my '78 T bird, with the leaky auto xmsn, again.

Oh, I see and agree that a "hard" jerking downshift is definitely not normal.
Similar to that when rev matching in a manual transmission vehicle, it should be relatively smooth with jsut a blip in the RPM.

38mph is the "sweet" spot where the EX automatically engine brakes.
My previous 2011 downshifted at 60 kmph as well but I think the Ecoboost engine I have in the MKT does it at a higher speed. I'll have to check next time I take it out.
Peter

Although I can't recall exactly when my previous 2011 downshifted, it was at a lower speed than the Ecoboost engine I have in the MKT. I wonder if that is by design (Ecoboost vs NA) ?

Peter

It's very consistent at 38mph (60kph for us Canadain folks) and I'm going to start monitoring the RPM also (wish the EX had an analog RPM guage).

So in the design of the algorithim that is in the computer controlled transmission they have gotten significantly more complicated. (look at all the things sport mode does in the non-sport model Explorers)

anyway.

some of this is also there for enhanced fuel efficiency. IE it will decided to downshift while coasts just to keep the RPM's up. Now yes it's engine braking to some - but what it also does is DFCO - direct fuel CutOff. If the engine is spinning fast enough - then you can turn off spark, and fuel - let it windmill - while still having the momentum to keep all the accessories running, oil flowing etc etc.

And there are gaps that correspond to the gear ratios used. IE if the motor's sweet spot is 2000-3400 RPM to windmill, and the speed is 40, while in say 3rd, it will stay there, but once the speed drops to 38, and RPM is say trending past 2K - then it downshifts to say 2nd - to keep in the windmill zone if it can. assuming you aren't in a hurry to stop and not in a hurry to go.

Then the hesitation - computers talk - so transmission talks over to the engine and between the to they agree to move over into power mode again - unlock torque converter, start fuel, start spark - maintain - and then shift if needed.

etc etc

Far more complicated - but nothing is being damaged - it's not quite a smooth as the auto trans of old. Part of that is because internally they act much closer to a manual that's being shoved by a robot. But it is also far more fuel efficient.

That's my guestimate of what your're finding. It's one of those spots in the programing that just couldn't be avoided - while the focus was on the efficiency.

I notice other cars do this to - yes even the bimmers with their DSG's - you can occasionally find the spots where they clutch out to free wheel too.

Back