Rattling Sound From Engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling Sound From Engine

LM614

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer, Base
When I start the car or the accelerator pedal is pressed I hear a rattling sound. On one occasion I noticed an Oil Pressure warning. Also the Check Engine light is on.

Anyone experienced this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I start the car or the accelerator pedal is pressed I hear a rattling sound. On one occasion I noticed an Oil Pressure warning. Also the Check Engine light is on.

Anyone experienced this problem?

I have not, but this could be a number of different issues. Perhaps you should check your coolant level to eliminate the water pump and to ensure that coolant is not leaking into the oil.

I've got it too minus the oil pressure light. Sounds like it's close to the firewall on the passenger side. It doesn't last long but it's worse when it's hot. Reminds me a little of how a 'spark knock' sounds.

How long have you been driving your car in this condition?

Do you think it could lead to something major?

How long have you been driving your car in this condition?

Do you think it could lead to something major?

It started noticing it last summer. It kind'a went away over the cooler months but it has come back during the past couple of warm spells.

No, I don't think it's something major and I doubt, even at its worst, it would disable the car but I do expect it to get worse before I'll (or the Ford folks) will be able to diagnose the problem.

It started noticing it last summer. It kind'a went away over the cooler months but it has come back during the past couple of warm spells.

No, I don't think it's something major and I doubt, even at its worst, it would disable the car but I do expect it to get worse before I'll (or the Ford folks) will be able to diagnose the problem.

Thank you

Driving a car that the oil light and check engine light are on could be anything. It could be something as simple as an intermittent low idle, and the rattle could be the air conditioning compressor clutch (does it quit if you turn off the AC?) or as serious as a failing water pump that will wreck your engine and cost multiple thousands of $$ to fix.

If you don't know what it is, get it to someone who does. May be simple, may be a catastrophic problem that can be avoided. Impossible to diagnose over the internet.

...or as serious as a failing water pump that will wreck your engine and cost multiple thousands of $$ to fix.

Yes it can, but only if the driver ignores a whole lot of symptoms, warning lights and buzzers, and smells.

Driving a car that the oil light and check engine light are on could be anything. It could be something as simple as an intermittent low idle, and the rattle could be the air conditioning compressor clutch (does it quit if you turn off the AC?) or as serious as a failing water pump that will wreck your engine and cost multiple thousands of $$ to fix.

If you don't know what it is, get it to someone who does. May be simple, may be a catastrophic problem that can be avoided. Impossible to diagnose over the internet.

I took the car to my local dealer. First they said it was the oxygen sensor and catalytic converter, then they said something was broken in the engine, now they are saying "The erratic running and missing is because of the exhaust camshaft running retard. This is not normal and the timing advance system is probably stuck because of an probable oil blockage."

I took the car to my local dealer. First they said it was the oxygen sensor and catalytic converter, then they said something was broken in the engine, now they are saying "The erratic running and missing is because of the exhaust camshaft running retard. This is not normal and the timing advance system is probably stuck because of an probable oil blockage."

How many miles on your 2011 Explorer? Have oil and filter changes been done consistently according to the maintenance schedule? Using the correct motor oil as specified in your owner's manual?

Unlikely that a five-year-old vehicle would experience a sudden oil blockage, but anything is possible.

How many miles on your 2011 Explorer? Have oil and filter changes been done consistently according to the maintenance schedule? Using the correct motor oil as specified in your owner's manual?

Unlikely that a five-year-old vehicle would experience a sudden oil blockage, but anything is possible.

Mileage is 39,000 Km. Servicing was done regularly by the same Ford dealers where I purchased the car.

Mileage is 39,000 Km. Servicing was done regularly by the same Ford dealers where I purchased the car.

This is good. With maintenance records available, it's possible that Ford's Powertrain Warranty will cover the cost of repairs to your Explorer's engine.

This is good. With maintenance records available, it's possible that Ford's Powertrain Warranty will cover the cost of repairs to your Explorer's engine.

Thank you. Unfortunately, the workshop has already charged me for the Oxygen sensor and catalytic converter.

Glad you got it in. Interesting diagnosis. Where are you located? It might be worth getting a second opinion if there is another dealer nearby.

Glad you got it in. Interesting diagnosis. Where are you located? It might be worth getting a second opinion if there is another dealer nearby.

I think I will definitely get another opinion. Thank you.

I had my engine replaced by Ford free of charge.

I had my engine replaced by Ford free of charge.

What was the ultimate reason why they could not fix your engine and had to replace it?

Was it what you said previously:

"The erratic running and missing is because of the exhaust camshaft running retard. This is not normal and the timing advance system is probably stuck because of an probable oil blockage."

They did not say why it could not be fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all, my first post. My 2011 Explorer has 57,000 miles on it and has developed a sort of rattle in the engine. It kinda sounds like a chain rubbing on a case and is really prevalent at around 1200 rpm and blends into the rest of the engine noise as the rpm increases. It sounded to me and one of my buddies who owns a shop like it could be a belt tensioner noise, so I replaced it. Didn't fix the problem. I took it to the dealer and they determined that it was a transmission issue. Now, because it made the noise in neutral, I had doubts that the trans was the issue itself as the only rotating parts in neutral are the converter and front pump of the trans. They kept the SUV for 23 freaking days, said the trans had to be torn down, replaced the converter as well and banged me for $3500. I also dropped $380 for a rental car as I use my car for my business. THE NOISE IS STILL THERE! It came back within a couple of days. So, I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue. I still have to figure out how to handle paying for a job that didn't fix the problem. There is no way I want them to offer to fix it right after the nightmare i just went through. I worked as a mechanic for years but only work on my project cars for a hobby. I don't have the facilities or time to work on a newer vehicle like this, other than maintenance, etc. I'll try to record the noise and post a youtube link.

Back