Would LED CREE bulbs improve the back-up lights? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would LED CREE bulbs improve the back-up lights?

Thanks Number4, I appreciate the information. I always enjoy reading your posts, always helpful, and based on knowledge and experience.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My head unit is rear camera compatible, I should go ahead and get one, thanks for the reminder TechGuru! Have you any further advice on that matter such as cable routing?

I have this cheap one hooked up to my Kenwood.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XTZUHOM

For power I wired mine to the license plate lights for two reasons. It's a lot easier to do, and so that I can have the camera on without the vehicle being in reverse. Only bad thing is I have to turn on the parking lights to use the camera. Someday if I'm bored enough I might install diodes to let it get power via both reverse lights and parking lights separately.

I have this cheap one hooked up to my Kenwood.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XTZUHOM

For power I wired mine to the license plate lights for two reasons. It's a lot easier to do, and so that I can have the camera on without the vehicle being in reverse. Only bad thing is I have to turn on the parking lights to use the camera. Someday if I'm bored enough I might install diodes to let it get power via both reverse lights and parking lights separately.

Ha! I wired mine inside to the reverse lights. But I also ran power from a toggle, so I can turn on the camera without being in reverse. Only problem, is my reverse lights come on. I knew this would happen though. Bought a diode yesterday, have yet to install it.

I called Crutchfield they recommend a popular seller for 80 bucks, going to order one of those and put it in the pile of other parts I have yet to install :-/

I ended up buying a flood llight pods off of ebay for about 30 bucks and wired them in with a relay and switch as additional reverse lights and mounted them under the hitch. I used a 2 way rocker switch. The relay is because i want to have them turn on an off as i put the car in reverse but also leave them on if needed. I have 5%tint on everything except the windshield. It makes a HUGE difference at night:D. Espically if im conected to my trailer i can angle them to get a wider light pattern. I was thinking of buying rigid or Black oak (I have a Black Oak light bar in the lower grill) but went the ebay route instead in case i want spots instead. Once they break from a rock, or just time i will put in a quality name. About a year and no issues. I also used a plug like the foglight (9145) so I can disconnect it to repair or replace easily.

I have LED reverse lights. They helped a bit, but I found way more visibility when I did the aux lights in the rear

below the bumper I have smaller flood style light that show off the sides better for using my mirrors
20160213_125654_zpszqwkkerh.jpg

the top are spot lights that really light up whats behind me, but dont do the sides as much.
20160213_125644_zpsidvncee6.jpg

i use them in tandom or for the job they do better. They have their own switch up front so I have control of them no matter what gear the truck is in. Can you guess which switch runs the top mounted downward facing spot lights ;)
20160216_180752_zpsfgidqosp.jpg

I have LED reverse lights. They helped a bit, but I found way more visibility when I did the aux lights in the rear

below the bumper I have smaller flood style light that show off the sides better for using my mirrors

the top are spot lights that really light up whats behind me, but dont do the sides as much.

i use them in tandom or for the job they do better. They have their own switch up front so I have control of them no matter what gear the truck is in. Can you guess which switch runs the top mounted downward facing spot lights ;)
20160216_180752_zpsfgidqosp.jpg

Where did you get these switches? Part numbers?

I'm assuming that our light sockets are the standard type and not CK?

I just installed my cheap Chinese LED eBay reverse lights tonight. I'll report back after some time of using them. They definitely appear to be brighter so far.

UPDATE: Drove around at night and tested the reverse lights in really dark condition. I noticed a small improvement. They definitely could be a lot brighter.

What's the brightest LED you can safely and reasonably put in these for the reverse lights?

I just installed my cheap Chinese LED eBay reverse lights tonight. I'll report back after some time of using them. They definitely appear to be brighter so far.

UPDATE: Drove around at night and tested the reverse lights in really dark condition. I noticed a small improvement. They definitely could be a lot brighter.

What's the brightest LED you can safely and reasonably put in these for the reverse lights?

Try these: http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extremely-Bright-Power/dp/B00MC6H0AI/

if too pricey these are the next model down: http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Lumens-Chipsets-Projector/dp/B00WTPY8F2/

I bought the JDM lights recently from Amazon. I was hoping they'd allow the backup camera better vision at night, they don't. Not their fault, but I need rear fogs for the backup camera. Something that focuses more in the immediate area in the cameras field of vision.

I'm hoping, that for $29.99, they last more than one year.....

http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extremely-Bright-Power/dp/B00MC6H0AI

Attachments

• IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 100

I bought the JDM lights recently from Amazon. I was hoping they'd allow the backup camera better vision at night, they don't. Not their fault, but I need rear fogs for the backup camera. Something that focuses more in the immediate area in the cameras field of vision.

I'm hoping, that for $29.99, they last more than one year.....

http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extremely-Bright-Power/dp/B00MC6H0AI

It sounds like you need a better backup camera. Mine sees just fine with a $5 set of Chinese eBay LED's.

Back