2016 LED headlights in a 2015?

mmartin028

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I hear how wonderful the LED headlights are in the 2016 EX. Is it possible to use those bulbs in a 2015 EX or are they a completely different animal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are a completely different animal. The 2016 LED's are built into the housing and can't be removed.

The signature light strip is built-in, however the LED low beams can be replicated via an aftermarket option.

The signature light strip is built-in, however the LED low beams can be replicated via an aftermarket option.

But is the low beam LED the same 9005 bulb as the 2011-2015 EX?

Doesn't appear to be so and the only reference I found in the user manual, is it being called "LED"; with no other part#.
Considering your MY EX has projectors, an HID setup would be more ideal; IMO.

No, the prior model years came with halogen bulbs - 9005 - & projectors,
unless you had the top of the line pkg, and HIDs were an option avail on your chosen vehicle.
The halogen projector cant direct the light from any other bulb types properly,
and retrofits usually need ballast and possibly a bit of wiring to operate correctly & with the cars Auto lamps feature.

Search for the headlight posts and you can read aaaall about the bulbs and retrofit kits to HID, not sure about LED retrofits but I know you can directly replace the fog lamps with LED fog bulbs that are way brighter.

2011-2015 headlights are now available at any quality aftermarket site, as in you can ship to & have a customizer oven bake your lights open, retrofit them, and bake them closed again. plenty of vids on YT, check it out after reading the bulb/wiring/kit posts here. Pics and instructions as well.

I have the LED package on my 2016 EX, but my sister has a 2013. I believe the headlights are the same from 2013 to 2015 and I have to second what everyone else says about the projector style lenses. It's not the same and can't really be replicated with LEDs.

You could get and HID kit though, and thats a fairly easy conversion. It may not look the same as the 2016 when you are looking at the front end, but while driving, an HID kit is going to look almost identical or even brighter if you get a 55 watt kit.

what about the tail lights? Anybody installed 2016 lights on an 11-15?

Body panels and bumper are shaped slightly different.

From what I've seen - regardless of your model moving to the 2016 is a new headlamp assembly.

from there you'll notice that the 2016 LED setup for low beams has the emitter panel off to the side - it's not a bulb but a panel with a heat sink.

and it's made to reflect out of a curved mirror array to make the beam pattern.

Honestly it's a neat setup and I believe it's a first early run and making the light assembly easy to retrofit to a "moving adaptable" light beam.

but that aside - if the whole assembly would fit into a 2015 - then you might get it to work right and that's assuming the LED panel is something in the order of a 40W consumption.

If I had a 2013-15 I would move to projector lens setup and move to some HID kit.

Front fenders are different too.

Body panels and bumper are shaped slightly different.
Gotcha. Didn't realize they had changed all of the rear panels as well.. seems like a waste with how subtle the changes are. Had to look at side by side pics to really see the difference. Thought it was just front fenders forward that changed.

I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't have a 2011 & a 2016 in the garage.

I was going to say I'd really have to have them side by side and pull out mah rulers.

Sorry to hijack but would you be able to confirm the foglight bulb number in your 2016?

Thanks so much.

Darren

Thanks very much!

D.

Everything (sheet metal wise) is different from the A pillar forward and from the C pillar rearwards... from the 11-15 while some may be subtle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back