PTU Fluid Replacement

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
48k on the Sport. Decided to have the PTU flushed out with Royal Purple after reading stories on the web with the Flex, Taurus and even the Edge.

Took it to Firestone as I know the folks there well. Lesson 1: There is a drain and fill hole. Did not know that on the Sport. Lesson 2: The exhaust had to be partially removed to make it happen.

The fluid was liquid and not sludge, which is good. However, it smelled horrible and was completely jet black. Glad to have it swapped out and will be interested to see if there is any performance change.

Firestone charged me $85, including the Royal Purple fluid. Seems like a decent deal to me as I didn't want to mess with dropping the exhaust, etc.

Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good deal! I took mine to the dealer, and when I told them how to do it because they couldn't figure it out, the price quote went from $85 to $300+. I told them forget it.

I have the oil and will do it myself when I have time. At about 24,000 miles now.

48k on the Sport. Decided to have the PTU flushed out with Royal Purple after reading stories on the web with the Flex, Taurus and even the Edge.

Took it to Firestone as I know the folks there well. Lesson 1: There is a drain and fill hole. Did not know that on the Sport. Lesson 2: The exhaust had to be partially removed to make it happen.

The fluid was liquid and not sludge, which is good. However, it smelled horrible and was completely jet black. Glad to have it swapped out and will be interested to see if there is any performance change.

Firestone charged me $85, including the Royal Purple fluid. Seems like a decent deal to me as I didn't want to mess with dropping the exhaust, etc.

Shumax

Which of the R P fluids did you use Shumax, also how much did it take?

Thanks, tinner

Which of the R P fluids did you use Shumax, also how much did it take? Thanks, tinner

Tinner,

Not all PTUs have a drain. Sports, PU's, and certain foreign markets apparently do. Some like mine and yours only have a fill plug. You'll need to use a Mity Vac to suction out the old fluid.

Also, use 75W-140. That is the spec. It only takes 18 oz. Yes, only 18 oz.

Thanks 182RG and Shumax for the info

Just did this as well. Thanks everyone for the info.

Back