• Register Today It's free!

Third dash button?

Drako99

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
On the left side of the steering wheel under the headlight dial there are 3 slots

One for lifting the rear hatch, one for Tow mode, and a blank....

Anyone know what the blank is/was used for?

Also a part number for the switch to use as an aux light button that looks stock

Thanks

20140917_153115_zpszikben6m.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just checked my picture files and here is what I found.

Peter

Attachments

• P3060184_001.JPG
    P3060184_001.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,250

Left is for hatch. Middle for tow. Right for auto parallel Park. I have all 3.

Yet another feature those of us with the Sport model can't get. Boo!

Tony

Edit: Scrap that. I didn't read the OP carefully, sorry.

He is talking about not having the Active Park button. He has the Tow button.

Peter

I swapped out the single hatch button with a hatch and tow button panel. the switch assembly is one circuit panel with one connector, and would be hard to retrofit in a switch to use in place of the auto park. I took the button assembly apart because I was curious about that... Just my observations, I think it would be easier to add a switch somewhere else.

The gate and active park assist switches just send ground out when the switch is pressed. If you added the park assist switch to control something else you would have to add (if its not there) the wire coming out of the plug or cut it if it exists and then wire it to whatever your controlling it. Remember its a ground.

The output for the park aid is a gn-bn 22 gauge wire in position 5 of the wire harness.

Jason

Question - Blank Dash Button

Hey guys, I have a question that I have always wondered about.

I currently have a 2014 Explorer Sport and I have a Platinum ordered to replace it. I've noticed that both have the same button layout that I am specifically asking about.

Anyway, we have so many knowledgeable people here on the Ford Explorer Forum that I am sure someone will know the answer to my question.

So, on the left side of the dash just below the lighting control's their are three square button's. The one on the left is for the Rear Hatch, the center one is labelled "TOW" but the one on the right is blank.

Is it simply an extra button that can be used for accessories or do other Explorer models use it for something in particular?

explorer5_zpsgbhgele9.jpg

Thanks.

Livio :ca::usa:

I don't have any of those buttons so I can't answer you.

That 3rd blank is where the active park assist button is.

When you are getting ready to drive by an open spot you tap that button to start scanning the area.

That 3rd blank is where the active park assist button is.

When you are getting ready to drive by an open spot you tap that button to start scanning the area.

Thank you sheltonfilms! I knew someone would know.

The photo of the Platinum dash must have been a pre-production model that didn't have that feature. I have since found two other photo's that do in fact show this feature.

Parallel_Parking_Controls_zpsytrjz1bf.jpg

Parallel_Parking_Controls_Zoom_Out_zpsyj2uqfaq.jpg

Thanks everyone.

I don't know why the picture of the platinum doesn't have it. My 2013 limited has it.

Only difference in the systems is the 2016 not only does parallel parking but actually backs into regular parking spots.

Hey guys, I have a question that I have always wondered about.

I currently have a 2014 Explorer Sport and I have a Platinum ordered to replace it. I've noticed that both have the same button layout that I am specifically asking about.

Anyway, we have so many knowledgeable people here on the Ford Explorer Forum that I am sure someone will know the answer to my question.

So, on the left side of the dash just below the lighting control's their are three square button's. The one on the left is for the Rear Hatch, the center one is labelled "TOW" but the one on the right is blank.

Is it simply an extra button that can be used for accessories or do other Explorer models use it for something in particular?

Thanks.

Your thread has been merged with this existing one on the same topic.

Peter

Hi All, anyone know the part number for the PLUG for the switches below the headlight switch

Back