Tire Size help 2014 Sport: 275/50/20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Size help 2014 Sport: 275/50/20

Mulletmobile

Reaction score
City, State
Nor-Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
I have read a lot of the posts about tires and sizes. Wife wants to keep her Sport package wheels, but she would like a wider tire. I have read that several have gone with 275/45/20, but I wonder if the 275/50/20 will fit? I do not want to sacrifice the sidewall height of the 50 series we now have, but would like the look of the 275's.

So there lies the question: Will the 275/50/20 fit and not rub?

I have read the posts out there, I have checked the tire calculators and I think they will work. However I do not want to pay for a tire that will end up rubbing just to have to return them and go back to the 265/50/20. In all reality will I notice the 1/2"? Nope it is just a numbers game and I am interested in this. Thanks ahead of time for anyone who can offer good info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had 265/50/20 on the rim and it looked a lot better. Slight bulge that made it look "beefier," but not ridiculous. It places the speedo off just a bit, but not much - like 1-2mph.

Shumax

I think several have gone with 275/45/20s without any issues.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Anyone out there with info on the 275/50/20 tires?

So decided not to be the test pilot and have any rub or clearance issues (even though I highly doubt I would have). 265/50/20 Nitto NT421Q's are on the way. Ran Nitto's and Toyo's on my old Excursion in various sizes and treads with great results so I expect nothing less from these. $970 out the door with road hazard and tax.

While I still had a small amount left til the tread wear bars, the outer edge of the tread blocks were wearing down bad. One tire had a nick in the sidewall presumably from debris on the road and tax return check made it time to replace.

The OE Hankooks were ok, nothing to crow about, not a tire I would buy again, not a tire I would want on a sport package performance SUV, and definitely the bottom rung of tire Ford could have found. 38,800 miles out of the OE tires is not bad, but they really needed replacement over the winter as at the end of their life they did not handle the heavy Northern California rains this year very well. Just shy of two years out of them with 99% highway/city driving. Very loud at the end of their life to the tune of the 35" Toyo MT's on the diesel Excursion loud. Hopefully the Nitto's last longer with a bit more performance.

Good choice on the size!

When you say the Hankooks were loud, did you just notice a louder road sound, or a whirl/propellor sound? I notice the former and suspect it's just the aging tires as they have 40k on them. They are wearing evenly so it's hard to justify replacing them even though they are getting louder...

So decided not to be the test pilot and have any rub or clearance issues (even though I highly doubt I would have). 265/50/20 Nitto NT421Q's are on the way. Ran Nitto's and Toyo's on my old Excursion in various sizes and treads with great results so I expect nothing less from these. $970 out the door with road hazard and tax.

While I still had a small amount left til the tread wear bars, the outer edge of the tread blocks were wearing down bad. One tire had a nick in the sidewall presumably from debris on the road and tax return check made it time to replace.

The OE Hankooks were ok, nothing to crow about, not a tire I would buy again, not a tire I would want on a sport package performance SUV, and definitely the bottom rung of tire Ford could have found. 38,800 miles out of the OE tires is not bad, but they really needed replacement over the winter as at the end of their life they did not handle the heavy Northern California rains this year very well. Just shy of two years out of them with 99% highway/city driving. Very loud at the end of their life to the tune of the 35" Toyo MT's on the diesel Excursion loud. Hopefully the Nitto's last longer with a bit more performance.

Would love to see pics of your new tires on your Explorer when you get them.

Thanks.

Livio :ca::usa:

As soon as they come in I will get those pics up!

Back