Towing Trailer Length for an '07 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Trailer Length for an '07 Explorer

I need some help in choosing a maximum Travel Trailer Length for my
2007 Explorer LTD w/ 4WD and 4.6l V8

I see the GVWR everywhere but I cannot find a guide to Wheelbase vs Trailer Length.
I don't want to go through with the purchase and end up with the Tail wagging the Dog.

Thanks for your help

I haven't ever seen any guides but the old rule of thumb is 110" of wheelbase for a 20' trailer and add 4" of wheelbase for every foot of trailer. YMMV.

I'd never heard that one, but then I've never heard any rule-of-thumb for length.
3rd and 4th gen Explorer/Mounty is 113.7".
That's close to the 114" that this rule says is good for 21 feet of trailer.
We tow a 27-footer with no issues. But it's an ultralite hybrid, about 5200lbs loaded.

I don't think you see too many trailers this size anymore that will be such lightweight. Most hybrids stop at 23 feet anymore, but more and more will have heavy slideouts, and/or they will have heavy rear slide beds. Anything more than 27 feet won't be a hybrid, and they will not remain under your max tow rating, as long as you are considering the loaded weight (not dry/empty weight).

But I can tell you, my 27', 5200lbs-loaded camper tracks just fine behind the Mounty, using a 10,000lbs Equal-I-zer WDH kit.

I'd never heard that one, but then I've never heard any rule-of-thumb for length.
3rd and 4th gen Explorer/Mounty is 113.7".
That's close to the 114" that this rule says is good for 21 feet of trailer.
We tow a 27-footer with no issues. But it's an ultralite hybrid, about 5200lbs loaded.

I don't think you see too many trailers this size anymore that will be such lightweight. Most hybrids stop at 23 feet anymore, but more and more will have heavy slideouts, and/or they will have heavy rear slide beds. Anything more than 27 feet won't be a hybrid, and they will not remain under your max tow rating, as long as you are considering the loaded weight (not dry/empty weight).

But I can tell you, my 27', 5200lbs-loaded camper tracks just fine behind the Mounty, using a 10,000lbs Equal-I-zer WDH kit.

Correct. No actual science to back up the "rule of thumb", but then again, I think the OP would be hard pressed to find any definitive scientifically-tested guides...so spit ball math and trial and error and common sense it is.

Good Rule of Thumb

Thanks for your responses, 21 ft for my "07 Explorer seems about right.
There are getting to be some well equipped Trailers under 5000 lbs these days too.

Thanks

Back