99 Explorer steering column smoke!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer steering column smoke!!!!!

mableton99

Reaction score
City, State
mableton,ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Hello,
99 explorer has wisps of smoke coming out of steering column. The back-up lights have been out for a few days so I first checked the fuse and it was blown.
I pulled the column cover off and no noticible shorting or burnt wire. Through searching the net I have read that the multifunction switch can go bad (looks like an easy fix) BUT I can only get the thing to smoke by moving the the shifter through the gears and sawing on the wheel, and only very brief smoke.
Could it be the trans range sensor switch that is bad? I noticed the reverse light fuse had some other things (maybe this) on the circuit, which could explain it perhaps?
If it is this sensor switch....where is the sucker, can an avg joe get to it and check/fix it? How much does it cost?

Any thoughts on this subject would be great. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More than likely it's the multifunction switch. Mine fried and smoked like crazy just before the warranty went out. Can't give you advise on how to replace it (Ford did mine for free), but I'm sure there are plenty on this site who can

.......BUT I can only get the thing to smoke by moving the the shifter through the gears and sawing on the wheel......
The sawing on the wheel is probably what is allowing the smoke,
which is coming from the multifunction switch. It's only held on with 2 bolts
and an electrical connector. You had the hard work done when you
removed the column cover......:)

I trew another fuse in it and as I went to go drive around the auto door locks started working again. (forgot they were on the circuit) that fuse is probably unrelated to the column smoke (locks probably froze and tripped the fuse)
I changed out the multifunction switch ($51.00 advance auto)
Hope no mo smoke!!!!!!
thanks for your help!

I know this is an old thread (Why start a new one when I have the same smoke issue?) but does this the multi function switch have anything to do with the blower motor circuit?

I know this is an old thread (Why start a new one when I have the same smoke issue?) but does this the multi function switch have anything to do with the blower motor circuit?
Was your air conditioner/ heater pannel super hot? Mine could almost burn you and the steering wheel had slight smoke. The cruise control buttons were pretty hot too and now I'm scared to drive it. Did you ever fix yours and if so what was wrong with it?

Multi-function switch has nothing to do with the blower motor.

Back