Transmission help anyone?

ernzo

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
2003 4.0 mounty, drives great except...

If i stop suddenly, stop sign for example, and my speed is such that it is maybe a little harsh, the transmission disengages, and i can feel and hear a slight clunk.

Give her a little gas, after 4-5 seconds she catches.

A slow stop us fine, but 30 mph and a fast brake and we are no longer in gear.

Other than that, she's great!

Anybody? I've searched but the 5r55w has so many threads, I'm lost...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So if you drive normal and come to a stop in a normal fashion, there's no issues on takeoff? Do you have any leaks around the transmission? My first thought is you are low on transmission fluid and there is no real easy way to tell since you don't have a dipstick.

Thanks, yes normal stop is fine, rapid stop results in the tranny going into
What is like N, then catching up and engaging

Fluid is double checked, warm up, remove tork screw, fill until
It starts to dribble out, while running in Park.

No leaks, new solenoid and servo kit, filter and fluid, mercon V syn

It almost feels like it is shifting into N for some reason.
Like rhe rapid braking throws off the computer? Speed sensor?

You need to add fluid until runs out in a thin STEADY stream, not a drip. And with trans temp between 80 and 125 NOT operating temp.

Ok, i can do that, ill report back.

Ok, so added about a qt. mercon v, truck warmed up to first mark, engine off. Used a pump, filled until i had a steady stream.

Again, filling with engine off this time, Ford says engine running.

Symptoms have been greatly reduced. Previously a hard stop virtually immobilized me. Now it is a momentary hesitation/slip.

Wondering if the recent filter replacement went awry? Maybe a bad O ring or clogg affecting pickup?

I think i can add another pint, seems to be more art than science. Overfilling is a concern but I'm told it will just vent out...

If the current level of fluid is just working fine, I say stay with it.

Thanks, adding a Qt, 2 pints at a time really improved the issue, but not completely. She still has a momentary delay/slip after a fast stop. I'm still suspecting sone kind of filter issue but will add anorher pint and see, then check the filter next week. I'm told that an O ring can fail causing similar issues,

If you cut a filter o-ring, it will usually foam the fluid. I read you were filling it with the the engine off, thats fine, but you need to check it while it's running. I usually overfill by a quart or so and let it drain until it looks correct. Thin steady stream idling at 80-120° trans temp.

Ok good idea, I had checjed it motor running in Park previously but it seems like one has to get used to it. I'll jack in another pint and see how she looks while running. I assume that while running the pan level is less as fluid is pumped into the tyranny?

SOLVED:

So it was fluid, although I had I filled and checked by a mechanic, it was almost 1.5 qts low, maybe more.....Checking and filling these bottom fill units really is an art- must be warm, running, level, pump in fluid until it starts running out in a "steady stream"....

I also added a bottle of lube guard platinum along with synthetic mercon V.

It no longer slips when coming to a sudden stop, I did get a little overflow, it smelled, I sprayed it off, I'm good.

I've learned much about how to check and fill the 5r55w tranny, but I will not have to do it again for awhile!!

Now on to carrier bearings!!! Yay...

SOLVED:

So it was fluid, although I had I filled and checked by a mechanic, it was almost 1.5 qts low, maybe more.....Checking and filling these bottom fill units really is an art- must be warm, running, level, pump in fluid until it starts running out in a "steady stream"....

I also added a bottle of lube guard platinum along with synthetic mercon V.

It no longer slips when coming to a sudden stop, I did get a little overflow, it smelled, I sprayed it off, I'm good.

I've learned much about how to check and fill the 5r55w tranny, but I will not have to do it again for awhile!!

Now on to carrier bearings!!! Yay...
ONgoing to do the same thing Saturday.

Slipping at times for me.

ONgoing to do the same thing Saturday.

Slipping at times for me.

So I had installed a new solenoid pack as well as updated servos.

The fluid fill was tricky!! But it finally worked..

So I had installed a new solenoid pack as well as updated servos.

The fluid fill was tricky!! But it finally worked..

Changed fluid and filter today and added lubegard to it.
Was simple to do use d almost 7 quarts

Trying to get my parking brake working to get my rejection sticker off my window.

Back