5.0 Build | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Build

Accarguy,

Seems like you have had the Anzo replacements for a while.

Any issues?

I was thinking about getting a set but have read some conflicting reviews on Amazon.

Anyone find anything better?

They are really nice, I love the look of them over the stock ones. A bit of pain to get in and adjusted just right. I had an issue with one of the headlamps had gotten moisture in it about 3 months being in and amazon warrantied them no questions asked. On the second set, I just put a small line of clear rtv around the seam of the lens and the bucket of the headlamp it self just to be safe. On the parking lamp buckets there is about 1/16thin opening on the bottom of them to act as a drain. So that has been about 4 months now and no issues knock on wood.

[MENTION=63544]1997XLTRollover[/MENTION] Thank you very much. Found it out in Oregon and bought it sight unseen for 4,800 and I'm very happy. The nice plating is still on some of the bolts under the hood that how clean she is.

[MENTION=288268]YTF0rd[/MENTION] Ill take a pick tomorrow and post it. It sounds really good for being stock, especially once I pulled off the rear cats. It opened up so much and it has a really good rumble at idle and not too loud when acceleration, but sounds like a v8 should. I bought them both right from mac and had them shipped to me. The only thing I don't like about the intake is that its a bit to long meaning the cone is actually rubbing sightly on the fender, so i put a small piece of black duck tape on there for now so the paint doesn't rub off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank You for the input.

I'll get a set on order tomorrow and I'll also be sure to have the RTV gun ready before I install them.
IMAG0832.jpg

IMAG0742.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

here is what the tail pipe looks coming out the back. Its much better than stock in my opinion. It is 2.5inches dual in and 3inches out.

One more quick question. What does Mac sell the catback and intake for these days?

Man I have more than 4800 into my piece of crap 96. I would have bought that truck in a heartbeat too sight unseen. I had my 99 which was the one I always wanted but it was a little beat up body wise (not horrible but not perfect) and had a fair amount of rust. Mechanically it was in good shape and the body was probably a 7 out of 10 but I always wanted that combo without being lifted. My 99 was a monster with a Superlift shackles and a TT with 35's with a real loud side exit exhaust. While it was fun, I kind of always wanted it in stock form.

Here's my 99 I just sold earlier this year:

0809151740a_zpsrxpyuwl8.jpg

[MENTION=63544]1997XLTRollover[/MENTION] That truck looks good almost like mine but with out the 5.0 emblem and not as much of a lift. but it looks good.

[MENTION=288268]YTF0rd[/MENTION] It was a while ago when I got it, but if I remember the exhaust was around 3 something and I don't remember on the intake. It up on their website I'm pretty sure.

[MENTION=83278]shucker1[/MENTION] I noticed this morning that now the driver side headlamp has moisture in it. :( I don't know what to do now, I want something that has the nice look over the stock ones, but I don't want to be replacing them every 3 to 4 months.
Also that block is looking pretty good! What are you plans with it or what have you already done to it?

IMG_2502_1.jpg

Added these in the front doors. I think they turned out pretty cool for 12 bucks.

IMG_2502_1.jpg

Added these in the front doors. I think they turned out pretty cool for 12 bucks.

Awesome!!!! Spill the beans, where can I get Thoes?!?!?!?!!!!!!

Acarguy,

Sorry about getting back late.

Block is 331 Eagle Forged Crank with Mahle Forged Pistons. GT-40P heads completely redone. Calculated 9.75 to 1 compression.

Upper & Lower Intake polished but not ported excessively.

TMH with Gibson 2.5" SST Catback

Waiting to pull the transmission so it can go to Houston to be completely reworked by Circle D Transmissions.

Got most of the accessory brackets and stuff stripped and powder coated.

Need to get all the extras now. Throttle Body, MAF, Injectors, Etc.

Awesome!!!! Spill the beans, where can I get Thoes?!?!?!?!!!!!!

Got them for 12 bucks off amazon not bad id say. I was just a little resistive to putting the holes in the doors, but I think they came out good. Here is the link.

[MENTION=83278]shucker1[/MENTION] Looks like you have a fun little project there. Where did you get the TMH from?? They are like gold now.
I am going to be pulling mine out soon because my front cover is leaking coolant and you know I am halfway there to doing a cam haha. So I'm thing I might just pull the engine out and reseal the whole engine with a new cam and maybe rockers and springs too. Any recommendations as to which cam? It is my daily driver so nothing to crazy like a b303 but just a little upgrade from stock.

That,s exactly how mine started.

Redid the heads and put a cam in it because of a stuck valve. Tune was too aggressive on timing and after about 6 months of running it #1 Piston failed. Blew apart to the 1st ring lands.

It came back out and got turned into a 331.

As for the TMH, I was doing a job in Ventura, CA (North of LA) about 2 years ago.

I decided to go visit Al's with cash in hand.

Cash talks. Walked out with a set that day and brought them home.

As for the cam I already had a 266HR in there. I'm not looking to race the truck just something fun to drive and something that can haul my 25 Ft Thunderbird out of the water with out a fight.

I reinstalled the same cam during the rebuild.

That,s exactly how mine started.

Redid the heads and put a cam in it because of a stuck valve. Tune was too aggressive on timing and after about 6 months of running it #1 Piston failed. Blew apart to the 1st ring lands.

It came back out and got turned into a 331.

As for the TMH, I was doing a job in Ventura, CA (North of LA) about 2 years ago.

I decided to go visit Al's with cash in hand.

Cash talks. Walked out with a set that day and brought them home.

As for the cam I already had a 266HR in there. I'm not looking to race the truck just something fun to drive and something that can haul my 25 Ft Thunderbird out of the water with out a fight.

I reinstalled the same cam during the rebuild.

Yea I don't THINK I will get that nuts with it. That's awesome that you were right there in CA and got a set. I so far have had no luck finding headers for it, I find a boat load for the 4.0 but none so far that I have seen for my 5.0 I am hoping I can find someone with old stock or something such as JBA or Gibson.

What did you think of the 266HR?
I still need to decide on which cam to go with, I was going to call Comp Cams and pick their brains when I get some time. I want to have an upgrade from stock but nothing too crazy because it is my daily driver.

I put on new Firestone Destination A/T 2657516, it is like riding on a cloud now compared to my old ones which were the BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A that did cup real bad even with rotations every oil change.
I also replaced my bad DPFE Sensor that was the original and has been throwing an Egr code for the past week.

Engine is on its way out. Man those trans bolts are a pain in the rear.

My plan:
Reseal engine
New cam/ springs
1" Intake spacer
Port the heads/intake
Powder coat valve covers
Ceramic coat stock manifolds

Then probably have it dyno tuned.

I am going to put up a video of how it sounded before the cam. Then ill do an after.

Engine is all out and all parts are sent out to the respective places.

I made a video of my exhaust note before I pulled the engine out.

Then I can do another video when I am done and hear the difference.

Back