Repair Manual. Which one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Repair Manual. Which one?

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 2WD
Ok, so I'm going to be pulling the motor out of my Red EX to do the timing chain nightmare job. Which manual is preffered? I like Chiltons, but noticed there is a Haynes manual as well. Anyone have both and can give me their opinion? Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford Work Shop Manual

Same thing the Ford work shop manual. Both of those books are not made by Americans for the U.S. market in the first place! You get to look up words like combination spanner or my favorite whilst! Oh a combination spanner is a wrench that has an open end and a box end. Service American cars with American books.

So where and how much is a Ford manual going to cost?

Generally, they are divided into Ford Shop Manual and Vacuum and Troubleshooting Manual separately. Also separate (last time I bought), was the Wiring Diagrams Manual.

Try Helm Inc. http://www.helminc.com/helm/welcome_select_oem.asp

I got all my Ford manuals from them. But, they do not stock beyond about 10 years old vehicles. If they do not have it try Ebay, I got complete 1972 Ford Car Shop Manual set there like new $35.

Agree, I would not do any work on my Ford product with Chilton, Haynes, or any of the others. imp

I got some used from Amazon, they were brand new I think seventy bucks or so. Amazon is a good source for used Haynes manuals also, much cheaper than the parts house.

Chilton, Haynes, bah!
"Refer service to a qualified mechanic."
I AM a freakin' qualified mechanic!!! Just tell me where the pipes are and what the pressures are supposed to be.:mad:

Ford Shop Manuals.:)
Not quite as good as an ATSG Techtran Transmission manual, but close.
They have plenty of room to be good, considering there's about 1100 pages in three books.
1 wiring diagram book, 2 shop manuals.
Ah, for the days when I could schematic a 1948 Ford with one page.:(

Back