Bouncing suspension

PODHokie

Code Monkey
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys - I recently replaced all 4 shocks on my 1999 Sport 2WD with KYB Gas-a-just to try and fix what feels like the whole car shaking more than it ought whenever I'd hit a bump or pothole or whatever. I have the silly monoleaf springs on the rear axle, with stock shackles. Can anyone offer suggestions on what might be causing the bouncing around?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd inspect the sway bar and spring bushings first.

Also check your body mount bushings.

Check the swaybar endlinks. I had a missing one on the front. On the interstate, if there were some road irregularities, it was like steering a swaying boat. Grit your teeth and white knuckle the steering wheel. Kinda scary switching lanes, and it starts swaying side to side.

My 99 Sport 4x4 had the same problem & I found one of the sway bar end links was broken. After I replaced it the problem was gone.

My swaybars where broken too, replaced them with Moog ones, plus the actual bar bushings where shot. Read sway links where garbage too on mine.
They do a lot for side-to-side control and for the bumps on road that affect one side only (right or left).
Also, mine had the 5th shock too, that controlled the rear sway in turns. Sport doesn't have it.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll crawl under there and see if any of these show up in the next couple days. I'll update then.

Back