• Register Today It's free!

2.3L Ecoboost Question

golf4283

Reaction score
City, State
Orland Park, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 2.3 Ecoboost Ltd.
I've searched and searched but just can't find an answer. Is the 2.3L Ecoboost in my Explorer the same engine that's in the Mustang Ecoboost? I'm only asking because I want to purchase an oil separator but no one makes one for our cars. If the engines are identical aside from the Mustang's more aggressive tune then I can just get the Mustang specific separator.

Thanks for any help,
Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum golf4283.:wave:
Using the 'Search' function on "Oil Separator" in the "Modified' sub forum I found several threads on the item. I don't know if engine type is a determining factor but some of these are installed on the Sport Ecoboost.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-jlt-oil-separator.404902/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...formance-catch-can-for-explorer-sport.403101/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...g-an-occ-oil-catch-can-on-their-sport.402332/

Peter

Obviously if I mentioned the 2.3 specifically then I would only want options pertaining to the 2.3. As I said in my first post I tried searching all over and didn't find what I was looking for.

the "modified" sub is only for the explorer sport which only comes with the ecoboost v6. not the 2.3 four cylinder.

Thanks anyways.

Hey Dan. That's why I mentioned that I didn't know if engine type was a determining factor. One of the members in those threads has a 2011 XLT that he was thinking about installing one on. The "Modified" sub forum is for all Explorers. I don't think that I've read about anyone with a 2.3 Ecoboost installing one of these. Why not contact one of our site vendors Levittown Ford Super Center and see if they can be of any assistance. They might be able to answer your on the engines.You can use this link to contact Benny http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?conversations/add&to=LevittownFordSuperCenter
Good luck.

Peter

I believe the 2.3 ecoboost in the new explorer is the same basic engine as the 2.3L ecoboost in the mustang. I think the differences are very minimal - and those oil separators (catch cans) should work but you might find you need some creative mounting as they are meant for a location that might not exist under the hood of the explorer.

IE packaging is very different.

However I will not caution you - aside from the new mill being a direct injection engine and being turbo'd. I know its popular thought that a catch can will help engine performance and it has to fix issue . . . . . . Hell I have one on my Pontiac G8 - and yes it does help that particular engine. BUT - there are some engines out there that are DI that don't care about the oil vapor laden air. In fact I've not heard of any valve or injector issues on the Ford produced DI mills. (all the ecoboosts, or the high spun 2.0L 4 in the focus)

So it might not be something you need on the car. I would look carefully around to see if people with mustang ecoboost mills are having valve train or injector issues and then consider if you need to or would benefit from the PCV catch can. Just a thought.

I believe the 2.3 ecoboost in the new explorer is the same basic engine as the 2.3L ecoboost in the mustang. I think the differences are very minimal - and those oil separators (catch cans) should work but you might find you need some creative mounting as they are meant for a location that might not exist under the hood of the explorer.

IE packaging is very different.

However I will not caution you - aside from the new mill being a direct injection engine and being turbo'd. I know its popular thought that a catch can will help engine performance and it has to fix issue . . . . . . Hell I have one on my Pontiac G8 - and yes it does help that particular engine. BUT - there are some engines out there that are DI that don't care about the oil vapor laden air. In fact I've not heard of any valve or injector issues on the Ford produced DI mills. (all the ecoboosts, or the high spun 2.0L 4 in the focus)

So it might not be something you need on the car. I would look carefully around to see if people with mustang ecoboost mills are having valve train or injector issues and then consider if you need to or would benefit from the PCV catch can. Just a thought.

How about having one to mitigate carbon build up?

That's why I plan to install one. I am worried about the carbon buildup on the intake valves. I doubt there would be any performance benefit whatsoever.

That's why I plan to install one. I am worried about the carbon buildup on the intake valves. I doubt there would be any performance benefit whatsoever.

I'm hesistant due to voiding warranty.

That's why I say you might not need it. Despite conventional wisdom not all engines have a build up issue on the intake valves. Some do a better job that others - so if people without catch cans are having issues on their focus, focus ST's mustangs and etc then it might be an issue for Ford motors. but so far I've not directly heard of such.

I don't know the details of the PCV path on these engines - but some companies actual learned from issue Audi and BMW had with their DI engines and started routing the PCV through an Internal baffle or in other cases just runs hot enough so as not to have issues.

Since the ecoboost has a turbo it might be hot enough not to have issues. Where as my loafing 6.2L V8 actually accumulated quite a bit of PCV vapor and it makes the intake wet without the catch can.

That's where I was going with it. You could easily check by after the first 2 oil changes - take off your intake tube, and throttle body and see if there is film in there. Tacky film or just wet.

ON the warranty - most of the kits are easily enough to uninstall so that you can remove it if you need to take it back for warranty work.

Back