Are 2005 transmissions any more reliable?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are 2005 transmissions any more reliable??

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
Are the transmissions in the 2005 4.6's anymore reliable than 03 or 04, or is it still a metal casing with glass and construction paper internals?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 213k on my original transmission, but I believe I'm definitely in the minority.

I've never had it serviced, although it was possibly serviced under warranty in early 2007 when it had about 15k. My ex-wife took it to the dealer for hard shifting. They said it was operating "normally", but they did a routine "service" on it. I'm guessing they just drained and re-filled with new fluid.

There's no way in hell I'm going to service it now, that would be the kiss of death and I would be buying a new transmission in a day or two.......

i have 175xxx on mine with the original trans, and i had the ford dealer drop pan and replace the 4 quarts that was in there... yet fluid looked fine, but idk i dont want to jink myself lol

2002 to 2005 all have the same flaw and are prone to issues. Nothing about 2005 is better than the previous years.

Guess I'm probably getting a Grand Cherokee, than.

Jeep, ever experience the death wobble?

death wobble only happens if any of the front suspension components are loose/worn, other than that it's non existent.
usually happens after a lift that didn't follow what other suspension components should be replaced..

just make sure you have a torch handy because some owners want to set it on fire ;)

I bought my 2005 used with 135,000 miles on it, and it appears to have had the transmission replaced at least once.

Are the transmissions in the 2005 4.6's anymore reliable than 03 or 04, or is it still a metal casing with glass and construction paper internals?

I bought my 2005 Explorer with 82K on it in 2011 and it needed a tranny rebuild then, which I made the dealership take care of at their expense. I currently have 5+ years and 26K miles on the rebuilt tranny and had it serviced once and had the tranny pan fluid and filter changed and no issues with it. On a side note, I am not sure if I like the new format in this forum.

On my 05 V8 195K original trans. Changed fluid at 100K and 175K, trans is still working good. I guess it's like everything you buy, sometimes it lasts forever, sometimes it fails early.

The thing that makes me scared is that my 03 needed solenoids and clutch packs at 60K, and then at 85K (right before I totalled it) it started acting up with the 2-3 flare, again. That and my moms 04 Aviator needed a total rebuild at 110K. On the other hand, my old employer had an 02 XLS and the transmission lasted till 165K and it was beat to ****.

The way I see it, if you have trans problems before 110k, you always will. If you can outlast 110k, then the rebuilds will as well.

The way I see it, if you have trans problems before 110k, you always will. If you can outlast 110k, then the rebuilds will as well.

Yeah see I just can't gamble it when I know that it's very normal for 545RFE's to go 180K+ with no issues.

Back