Rear brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear brakes

billb1981

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Howdy folks....

Was curious if anyone else has experienced issues with their rear brakes around 60,000 miles. Seems like all heck broke lose after the 60,000 mile warranty!

I've got a 2011 that all the sudden is making a nasty metal on metal noise. I'm hoping it's just the brake pads, but was curious if anyone has replaced them with less than that, or if there is a TSB I'm missing. I know it has alot to do with driving style etc, but just all the sudden it went from everything was fine to a wonderful noise. I was going to take the wheel off tonight and take a look, but before I take it into ford, or do it myself, i was just curious if others had replaced them with less.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's all sorts of rear brake issues with Explorers. Do a search and a bunch of stuff will turn up. Getting 60k out of your rear brakes isn't half bad considering some members here have been doing them with under 30k.

The brakes are known to drag on these. There can be corrosion between the caliper and the shims that don't allow the pads to retract enough, leading to dragging causing them to burn out. However, if you live in an area with snow/ice, the brake system is used in the traction/4x4 systems. It can apply brakes to any wheel to improve traction. While this does an excellent job of keeping your vehicle moving in slippery conditions your brakes will pay the price for it. Still cheaper to replace brake pads/rotors then burnt out LSD's.

Ford said today my 2014 XLT 2WD Explorer rear brakes were wearing unevenly. I was surprised because I thought it maybe time for the front brakes to be serviced not the rear?

They said the rear brakes were at 3 mm inside and 6 mm outside. The cost would be $194.40 including machining the rotors. Is this a good price and should this be happening with the rear brakes now?

I know it could be based on driving also?

Ford said today my 2014 XLT 2WD Explorer rear brakes were wearing unevenly. I was surprised because I thought it maybe time for the front brakes to be serviced not the rear?

They said the rear brakes were at 3 mm inside and 6 mm outside. The cost would be $194.40 including machining the rotors. Is this a good price and should this be happening with the rear brakes now?

I know it could be based on driving also?
There are several threads on brake issues and replacements. The one big thing missing from your post is the mileage.

Peter

I've seen comments on this forum about Ford making a change to the Sport brakes mid-2013 on all Explorer models. Does anyone know if this was to try and solve the issue with dragging brakes on the earlier 5th Gen. model years or was it for performance? Seems like some folks with later year models, when this change would have been in place, are having some of the same issues.

for having the job done for you - the price isn't unreasonable. Especially at dealer service pricing.

so there is that

I would however do a look for SB's or other notices realted to your model and see if there are known rear brake issues that perhaps ford will pay outright.

Otherwise - if oyu are handy with a wrench - have some time do be handy with a wrench - then I would order new parts online - and do the job yourself. which would save probably about 100 dollars.

for what could be 3 hours of your time. (or less then 1)

The price isn't unreasonable, the mileage is a bit low.

How are the front brakes? If they are fine and the rears are worn to the point of replacement, that would be odd.

As noted, there are several threads on brakes.

Mine lasted a lot longer, but driving style can have a lot to do with it as well.

I will continue to search the forum for brake repair and wear and contact Ford for possible issues with the rear brakes?

Could be based on driving as well but I was surprised also that the rear brakes would need replaced before the front brakes?

I had around 65k on my 2012 and was told the right rear caliper was seized and they replaced it and did brake job both sides of rear under the esp.

Your caliper is seizing which is causing the rears to wear unevenly. It's a common occurrence and Ford even offered free rear brake pads due to the issue.

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem with their rear brakes? It seems that on the inside of both rear rotors with the passenger side being much more pronounced, there is odd wear occurring with a grinding/groaning noise under brake application. I did an inspection and didn't see anything lodged in the brake pad anywhere and there is a lot of pad material left (I'd say 50-60%). At first I thought it was a worn out pad, so I ordered new Heavy Duty Motorcraft rotors and pads, but now I'm wondering if I should just take it into the dealer and let them take a look at it under warranty.

2015 Explorer Police Utility Ecoboost, 27.8k miles.

The parking brake works. Rear brakes do work but have a slight vibration and that groaning noise under brake application.

20161106180013-a88e56b2-me.jpg

Look closely right at the center of the pic where there is a slot showing. Behind it is the brake rotor and you can see the unusual wear in the center of the rotor. Again, pads have a lot of material left. When I run a pick or scribe over the rotor, it's not catching any lips. It's just like the outside and inside edge of the rotor is not being contacted properly.

Only common problem I've seen/heard about is the slide pins hanging up. I believe there are some posts on it.

It doesn't seem to be hanging up. It applies and releases OK. No brake drag that I can detect.

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem with their rear brakes? It seems that on the inside of both rear rotors with the passenger side being much more pronounced, there is odd wear occurring with a grinding/groaning noise under brake application. I did an inspection and didn't see anything lodged in the brake pad anywhere and there is a lot of pad material left (I'd say 50-60%). At first I thought it was a worn out pad, so I ordered new Heavy Duty Motorcraft rotors and pads, but now I'm wondering if I should just take it into the dealer and let them take a look at it under warranty.

2015 Explorer Police Utility Ecoboost, 27.8k miles.

The parking brake works. Rear brakes do work but have a slight vibration and that groaning noise under brake application.

20161106180013-a88e56b2-me.jpg

Look closely right at the center of the pic where there is a slot showing. Behind it is the brake rotor and you can see the unusual wear in the center of the rotor. Again, pads have a lot of material left. When I run a pick or scribe over the rotor, it's not catching any lips. It's just like the outside and inside edge of the rotor is not being contacted properly.

I ordered new Police / HD Motorcraft rotors and pads. I tackled the passenger side tonight which was the one making most of the noise. It turns out that it was corrosion on the rotor from some road salt sometime during it's life. It was a bit awkward to swap but it helped a lot. I'll swap the other side tomorrow afternoon.

I'm sure this thread will get merged with the mega rear brake thread, but until then, here is my 2¢.

1. "Abnormal" brake wear is covered under the 36k warranty. Normal wear is covered under the 12k warranty. Almost nobody gets help from Ford after 36k, but your dealer may help depending on your status with them as a customer (so it doesn't hurt to ask if you are low 40k or lower).

2. If you are not inclined to do ANY brake work yourself, the $189 Motorcraft deal is a decent price for having brakes done at the dealership. It should come with a lifetime free replacement for the brake pads, but I have no idea what a dealer will charge for labor/rotors when the time comes.

3. If you are mechanically inclined (or have someone who is that can help you), brakes are very easy to learn how to do yourself. Autozone has Duralast Max Rotors with 3 year free replacement and Duralast Gold Pads with lifetime free replacement. The Duralast Max Rotors have an anti corrosive coating that minimizes rust/corrosion.

4. The culprit is the brake caliper bracket. You can get a new one for about $36, or you can clean yours up. If you clean yours up, make sure you really grind it back to it's original dimensions where the brake pads sit.

5. Use Anti-Seize compound on both the caliper bracket under the brake pad slide and where the rotor contacts the hub. Under the slide will extend the life of your brake pads and under the rotor will make the rotors come off without any pounding at your next brake job.

Difficulty is generally low, Medium if your rotors are seized to the hub (use PB Blaster and tap with a hammer will someone rotates the rotor quickly for you so you don't damage your bearings).

The high end pads/rotors are better than the OEM pads/rotors and Autozone is a very pain free warranty replacement process (walk in, tell them your phone number, walk out with replacement parts). The other parts stores have similar warranties, but don't lose your receipt. I've never had an issue exchange pads at Autozone with more than 5mm material left. I can't speak for the others.

If you choose the dealer route, the upside of getting the MotorCraft deal is the dealer will not be able to prematurely sell you a brake job again (Ford takes precautions to prevent getting ripped off like that). Ford specs are to not replace the pads until they are less than 3mm.

Good Luck and hopefully this helps someone.

Back