Driver Seat and Foot Well Complaints | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver Seat and Foot Well Complaints

The seats are comfortable enough(2016 Ford Explore XLT - 6ft 250lb). The front/back/incline positioning are good as well. However, I do see the left side issue as mentioned by many. I have not owned many SUV's to compare amongst the class but my EX-L accord seating is very comfortable both in cushioning and space. In the Explorer, the wheel well bulge on the left side is uncomfortable as am used to resting my left leg on the left leg rest (on my Accord).
In my case, unless I can flatten the wheel well from inside, I do not see a solution (obviously cannot be done) however would be interested in what custom enthusiasts end up doing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I think the foot well thing is a pain in the A unless your a gender that is use to siting with your legs crossed. The seats in my 1997 Explorer EB were far more comfortable even with 170,000 miles.

The MKT I have is based on the Flex platform and is 10" longer that the 2011 Explorer I had. I think the Ex could be stretched perhaps up to an additional 5" but no more.

Peter
sort of my point though - both are the same basic chassis platform. with the death of the flex there is nothing in that size to intrude on so why not make an Extended - trim line explorer?

Call it the Explorer King Size or I don't know purple biscuit eater - I'd at least take a look at one. Especially if it also meant I could actually carry something 8ft long in the damn car from the front seats to the back door

I wasn't aware that the Flex had been discontinued. According to most reports I've read, it still continues to sell well enough to remain in production.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/class...16-discontinued-cars-1022-20151016-story.html
There was talk that the Flex and perhaps the Flex based Lincoln MKT were going to be discontinued but I see both have a 2017 model schedule to be build in November.
http://fortune.com/2014/06/30/car-brands-discontinued/

Peter

The foot well has changed on the 2017..... I ordered weathertech floor mats for my 2017 X, the weathertech website only has the second and third rows.... I called them and they said the front floor mats would be available in September due to the fact that they have to make them after a change to the floor on the 2017..... Have no idea how much.....

The foot well has changed on the 2017..... I ordered weathertech floor mats for my 2017 X, the weathertech website only has the second and third rows.... I called them and they said the front floor mats would be available in September due to the fact that they have to make them after a change to the floor on the 2017..... Have no idea how much.....
That's why I emailed Husky after reading your post.
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/purchasing-husky-liners.447667/#post-3554548

Peter

The seat is fine for me. But my left foot has developed plantar fasciitis and part of it is due to the Explorer I think. The dead pedal is useless and the lip in front of the seat. I'm 6'4" and I have a long daily commute. It has me considering getting rid of this vehicle. I like everything else about it.

Has anyone tried adding a better left foot rest? I'm less concerned with stretching out and prefer to be able to stretch my left heel, rest the left foot, and be able to lean my left knee against the door. I can't do this very well right now.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I've never looked at the foot rest to see what if anything can be done with it. there are no posts that I'm aware of where a member has modified it. I never use it.

Peter

The seat is fine for me. But my left foot has developed plantar fasciitis and part of it is due to the Explorer I think. The dead pedal is useless and the lip in front of the seat. I'm 6'4" and I have a long daily commute. It has me considering getting rid of this vehicle. I like everything else about it.

Has anyone tried adding a better left foot rest? I'm less concerned with stretching out and prefer to be able to stretch my left heel, rest the left foot, and be able to lean my left knee against the door. I can't do this very well right now.

As far as I know, the dead pedal is part of the body.

I'm 6'5" and I was uncomfortable when I first got it and was trying to find a good seating position. The best I found was -

Steering fully out and fully up.
Seat is fully back and raised as high as it can go.

It has been far more enjoyable to drive since I did that.

In that position, the dead pedal has been decent. I also lean my knees out when I drive, but my trips are all quite short. I'll have to wait and see how it goes when we road trip later this year.

I also have a heck of a time with the footwell area. I have a hard time getting my left leg and foot in a comfortable spot. It doesn't help that I've had problems with my nerve going down through my left leg and planters fascitis. It doesn't feel natural or comfortable putting my foot on that footrest. Raising the seat has helped a lot.

As far as I know, the dead pedal is part of the body.

I'm 6'5" and I was uncomfortable when I first got it and was trying to find a good seating position. The best I found was -

Steering fully out and fully up.
Seat is fully back and raised as high as it can go.

It has been far more enjoyable to drive since I did that.

In that position, the dead pedal has been decent. I also lean my knees out when I drive, but my trips are all quite short. I'll have to wait and see how it goes when we road trip later this year.

I'm 6'3" with 13EEE feet and I'll make a prediction. 3-5 hours in to a road trip you'll realize your hips/knees/back - somewhere wants to you to get up and walk about every hour. I've done 2, 7Hour trips with ours and it's rougher than I'd like it to be. It's why I like the idea of the new explorer, or anything else for the next car. I mean it is the wifeymobile - but it also becomes our gather up everything and go mobile too.

I don't want/need a expidition/tahoe. 3 inches of floor width and 5 inches of seat movement rearward would help tremendously.

I'm 6'3" with 13EEE feet and I'll make a prediction. 3-5 hours in to a road trip you'll realize your hips/knees/back - somewhere wants to you to get up and walk about every hour. I've done 2, 7Hour trips with ours and it's rougher than I'd like it to be. It's why I like the idea of the new explorer, or anything else for the next car. I mean it is the wifeymobile - but it also becomes our gather up everything and go mobile too.

I don't want/need a expidition/tahoe. 3 inches of floor width and 5 inches of seat movement rearward would help tremendously.

We have 3 kids, so I very much doubt we'll be in the car for much longer than that without a break. It would be nice if there was more space in the footwell, but alas, Ford deemed it not so.

That footwell may be quite a bit different in the 2020 seeing that the wheelbase was extended almost 6 inches. There seems to be a shorter front end overhang.

Peter

That footwell may be quite a bit different in the 2020 seeing that the wheelbase was extended almost 6 inches. There seems to be a shorter front end overhang.

Peter

And it's a RWD platform. So even with the AWD model you might have a bit more floor width at the wheels - thus easing the foot wells.

Back