Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt?

I'm having the same issue with squealing when it rains. A little more than a year ago I had the serpentine belt replaced and it the squealing went away until just recently. The dealer diagnosed it as a bad tensioner and I have an appointment to get it replaced tomorrow. My question is whether I should have them replace the serpentine belt again (probably 25-30k miles on it already) as well, or is it OK to just replace the tensioner?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So far so good since my 2nd replacement. This time I went with a NADA belt instead of Motorcraft. It shouldn't make a difference but we shall see what happens. The mechanic who did it is a friend of mine and he said the tensioner was fine.

I too am in the same boat as several people here. My 2013 Explorer with 65k miles squeals every time it rains or if there is snow. When the squealing occurs, the lights will dim and if the blower is on high it will decrease for a couple of seconds. I was able to make the squealing happen in my driveway using a water hose

I have had it in the Ford Garage in Corydon, IN 2 times. The most recent time they had it for several days but say they are unable to duplicate the issue. All the can tell me is that my serpentine belt looks to be glazed and that I should replace it.

I am concerned that there is an under lying issue (tensioner pulley or spring) and wanted to get it fixed before the extended warranty that I paid for runs out. I expressed to the service department my concerns. It looks like I will be fronting this bill along with the leaking rear door as that is not covered on this so called "best" extended warranty plan either.

I am glad to hear that some people's issues are temporarily fixed with a new belt. I guess we will see what happens. As much as I like the style of the Explorer I am not sure I will be able to buy another one.

6 years or thereabouts is a pretty good run for a belt - let alone however many miles over 80K you might have gotten.

to that end- today's pulleys are actually sealed ball bearings and meant to be lubed for life - they are often plastic but even the metal ones aren't meant to be serviced these days - and that's not a bad thing.

but usually the belt is stretched out to where the spring tensioners are maxed out - and once the belt starts to harden on the outside - they will make all sorts of noises and eventually slip off

belt dressing isn't going to help a modern belt system for long - I advise just replacing your 10 dollar belt, or 30 depending on which one it is. THey don't cost much and work so much better. the job is relatively easy

I'm having the same issue with squealing when it rains. A little more than a year ago I had the serpentine belt replaced and it the squealing went away until just recently. The dealer diagnosed it as a bad tensioner and I have an appointment to get it replaced tomorrow. My question is whether I should have them replace the serpentine belt again (probably 25-30k miles on it already) as well, or is it OK to just replace the tensioner?
When Garnet Ford in PA replaced my tensioner they suggested replacing the belt since they felt it may be worn due to the problem. At the time I had 60,000 on it. Don't know why this happening all of sudden again.

Replaced her main belt and this is all fixed for her. :)

Hey everyone -

I have a 2015 Explorer Limited AWD and has been a fantastic vacation vehicle!

However with 12k miles on the clock - I am getting a loud serpentine belt (constant) squeak. It's VERY noticeable and sounds horrible. I have poured water on the belt while the vehicle is on and the noise instantly goes away and stays away for about a minute. Then it comes right back.

I'm going to have the dealer pick it up later this coming week to check it out but I wanted to see if this was a common issue or if someone had the same issue with low miles and what the cause/solution was.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for posting that link. It says that belt dressing was used on neoprene belts in the 1990s but is harmful on EPDM belts which were used after 2000. This is good to know. The manufacturer of belt dressing sprays should post this on their products.

The vehicle makes a squealing noise when it is raining or the roads are wet. The noise only happens about every 3 minutes consistently. At night the lights get brighter and there is a slight hesitation when it happens. Any thoughts on what accessory or component that only operates intermittently? I wasn't sure if the turbo operates for lubrication when it's not in use.

Manually cycle the AC in these conditions and see if the symptoms immediately present themselves.

squealing when wet+hesitation+lights act up=alternator/belt/pulley system...

The vehicle makes a squealing noise when it is raining or the roads are wet. The noise only happens about every 3 minutes consistently. At night the lights get brighter and there is a slight hesitation when it happens. Any thoughts on what accessory or component that only operates intermittently? I wasn't sure if the turbo operates for lubrication when it's not in use.
Welcome to the Forum John.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one on a similar issue. It was found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature (top right). Not too many issues not already discussed.

Peter

So my 2015 Sport has started to Squeal when driving. Unfortunately I am a have a hearing problem and I cannot hear it buy my wife can and it makes her nuts.. the other night I got for the 2cond time a low battery charge indicator in orange that went away and came back later, Then shortly there after got a RED Check charging circuit light. Is this a belt going bad or do you guys think this is a bad alternator. Truck has 32k on the clock. I understand the belt isnt covered under warranty but would the alternator be covered under the 36 month warranty?

So my 2015 Sport has started to Squeal when driving. Unfortunately I am a have a hearing problem and I cannot hear it buy my wife can and it makes her nuts.. the other night I got for the 2cond time a low battery charge indicator in orange that went away and came back later, Then shortly there after got a RED Check charging circuit light. Is this a belt going bad or do you guys think this is a bad alternator. Truck has 32k on the clock. I understand the belt isnt covered under warranty but would the alternator be covered under the 36 month warranty?
The warning lights may be coming on due to the belt slipping and therefore the alternator isn't supplying enough charge and so you may be running off the battery at times. I would think an alternator would fall under the factory warranty.

Peter

Thanks Peter. That is what I am thinking that it is a serpentine belt that looks CRAZY to try to replace. ... I would think an alternator would give a full on red light and not go off.

I scheduled it to go in this week.. I don't have another vehicle other then the harley and in NY it isnt bike season LOL..

It is the belt and the belt is covered under the 3/36 warranty.

Thank you Peter.. it is going in tomorrow.. The dealer did say he thought it was covered so that is good I surely would have hoped it would have lasted more than 32k however ... :-(
THanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The warning lights may be coming on due to the belt slipping and therefore the alternator isn't supplying enough charge and so you may be running off the battery at times. I would think an alternator would fall under the factory warranty.

Peter
Ok this happening to me again and from a previous post I wrote, I had the tensioner and belt replaced in Feb 2016. It rained fairly heavy here in Delaware the other day and it started acting up. Belt squealing, wipers getting sluggish and lights dimming. The previous time my whole electrical system went down while driving on I95. A little scary. Like mentioned before only when it is raining and/or wet. I did see somewhere on these forums that the Ecoboost engine has some type of cover to protect the belt. I do not have an ecoboost. Any word on why this keeps happening or if Ford has figured maybe recall on it

Back