M5OD Pocket Bearing and Output Shaft Damage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M5OD Pocket Bearing and Output Shaft Damage

SeanC

Reaction score
City, State
Laveen, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, but I've been a member of the Ranger Station for a bit. I scored this '93 Sport for $400.

1993%20Explorer_zpsufhcqjve.jpg

The transmission was noisy in all gears except 4th, so I suspected a bad pocket bearing. I pulled the transmission, and this is what i found:

Pocket%20Bearing%20Roller%20Damage_zpsnqu1dx7z.jpg

Clearly, the bearing is shot, as evidenced by the wear on the rollers. No problem, just replace the bearing, right? Not so fast...

Output%20shaft%20Damage_zpsm7mmqxl8.jpg

I'm seeking opinions on how to handle this. Is my output shaft completely screwed? Is that enough damage to justify buying a new output shaft? I'm considering polishing the damaged area on the output shaft, the corresponding area on the input shaft, and replacing all of the bearings. If I do that, will I be pulling the transmission again to replace another pocket bearing in 50,000 miles? :eek:

What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That shaft is too damaged to use and if the input shaft looked like that I wouldn't use it either, the bearing wont last long riding on the damaged areas.

If you plan on keeping the truck you should rebuild the tranny and replaced the shaft and any other damaged parts along the way.

I agree with James on his assessment. Total waste of time and money to band aid this. if you don't want to repair this trans you might look into a used one. Also make sure your chassis is grounded good and maybe run a ground strap from trans to frame. I have seen damage like you have pictured from bad grounds. Good luck and let us know how it works out. Still a good buy on the vehicle.

Agree with the above.

You don't have to buy a new shaft, you can get used stuff for the M5OD on here or TRS, although some parts for the M5OD/M5R1 are relatively inexpensive.

If you plan on keeping it and especially modding and wheeling or daily driving it, you might consider a rebuild kit and following the suggestions above.

Thanks for the insights, guys.

I initially bought this Explorer to flip, but I sorta like it :D After replacing the camshaft position sensor and the DPFE sensor, it runs great. It came with manual hubs, manual BW1354, M5OD, and the 4.0. Perfect setup for a weekend warrior. I think I'll keep it :thumbsup:

I'll most likely just bite the bullet and replace the input and output shafts. Stay tuned.

Update on progress

I decided to take everyone's advice and replace the main shaft. I bought a rebuild kit with synchros, and a needle bearing kit. I'm currently assembling the rear housing. Stay tuned.

Back on the road! Using KPT's rebuild thread and a factory service manual, I was able to get the transmission rebuilt. This was my first transmission rebuild, so I'm pretty proud of myself.

Here's a pic from last night as the sun was setting. Rolling on the 31's I took from my Ranger.
20160607_182824_zps77oppvub.jpg

Great job! Thanks for the update and enjoy the Explorer. Are you ready for your next transmission? Once your friends find out you can fix transmissions you will be a popular man! Lol!

Great job!!! What and where did you get your rebuild kit?

I'm about to swap a tranny from a SOHC ranger and want to rebuild my broken stock tranny as a backup.

Great job!!! What and where did you get your rebuild kit?

I'm about to swap a tranny from a SOHC ranger and want to rebuild my broken stock tranny as a backup.

Thanks dude :thumbsup:

The rebuild kit and some other odds and ends came from americanpowertrainwarehouse.com. This is what I ordered from them:

• 1 x M5R1 TRANSMISSION REBUILD KIT WITH SYNCHRO RINGS FITS '87+ FORD & MAZDA
  • 1 x M5R1 TRANSMISSION NEEDLE BEARING 7-PIECE KIT FITS FORD & MAZDA '88+
  • 1 x M5R1 TRANSMISSION REAR MAIN SHAFT NUT FITS FORD & MAZDA '87+ (M5R1-149)
  • 1 x M5R1 TRANSMISSION MAIN SHAFT 4x4 ONLY FITS '87+ FORD & MAZDA (M5R1-2)
  • 1 x M5R1 & M5R2 TRANSMISSION CLUSTER SHAFT NUT FITS FORD & MAZDA '87+ (M5R1-167)
I had to buy both new shims for the front bearing retainer, and a new thrust washer in the rear housing to get the clearances within spec, and I ordered these from my local Ford dealer. Good luck with your rebuild.

Thanks!!! That super helpfull!!

Back