Both front lower ball joints have excessive play | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Both front lower ball joints have excessive play

Bani

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver BC Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2018 XLT V6 3.5L
Hello,

Both front lower ball joints have excessive play in my Ford Explorer XLT 2005

RK620490 Control Arm and
RK 620491 Control Arm

This was identified back in Feb 2016 by repair shop. I drive about a 1,000 Km a month.

It is costing $800 to replace the ball joints. The questions I have is how long/months can I wait as it is an expensive to replace?

THANKS!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one can accurately answer such a question. I would not continue to put it off, they are mission critical parts ya know.

Hello,

Both front lower ball joints have excessive play in my Ford Explorer XLT 2005

It is costing $800 to replace the ball joints. The questions I have is how long/months can I wait as it is an expensive to replace?

THANKS!!

As DrDoom said, no one can answer that question and if they break apart, you'll probably looking at a bigger repair bill than you are now as more damage will occur if they bust apart. $800 sounds high for lower ball joints only. I had a shop do mine 5 years ago for $450, parts and labor incl. Get grease able ball joints (they come with a grease nipple on them), they last longer, but you'll have to grease them up with a grease gun ever 3-4 months or so.

I've seen people put off repairs for ball joints since it's expensive, can't really tell when will it break but if you want to replace control arms, axle shaft, tie rod and shock absorber plus towing and alignment you can wait for it to happen.

Thanks all. I got the ball joints replaced and the wheel alignment done today at the repair shop. Better safe then sorry and I want to keep my Explorer for a long time....
Thanks again!

Back