LED headlight out / failure | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED headlight out / failure

:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The LEDs are not serviceable and are part of the headlight unit as a whole due to its design. Unless if you want to really bake the whole thing in the oven, remove the permaseal, and then access the LEDs that are attached to the heatsink. I think your dealership isn't very knowledgeable...

Took explorer back today, the headlamp assembly arrived, just a couple of hours needed. Call at end of the day and they want to keep it one more day ... the monitor needed to install the headlamp isn't available today. WTF, this is unbelievable! I agree with 1995E, I was going to give them the benefit of doubt before this.

Keep in mind that they likely haven't worked on many, if any, Explorers with LED headlamps. I wouldn't be surprised if yours was the first. In any case the techs should have received some info/training on this.

Peter

I just took a peak at the service manual. If I read things correctly the pin point tests for a LED low beam out (once determined not to be a wiring issue) calls for replacing the ballast and then if that doesn't solve the issue...replace the headlamp assembly.

"INSTALL a new ballast.
REFER to: Ballast (417-01 Exterior Lighting, Removal and Installation).
Using the VCM and IDS software, connect the diagnostic scan tool and execute the “ LED Lamp Driver Module Initialization” routine. Follow the diagnostic scan tool directions. CLEAR the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and REPEAT the self-test. TEST the system for normal operation. If the low beam is still inoperative, INSTALL a new headlamp assembly."

Maybe that scan tool is the monitor the service advisor was referring to.

sounds like yet another dealer that hasn't had any sort of tech training for their departments.

and yes this LED headlamp is a new system - so there should be info on it.

ALso despite what you might believe LED's can and do fail and every part on any car can have premature failure issues. This should be fully under warranty.

Like said above some basic trouble shooing should have taken place and I put as much money on the ballast failure as I do the lamp assembly - both are equally possible.

Sorry for your troubles but please report this nonsense to Ford - the dealers need to be held to a better standard.

My neighbor has a new '16, their LED headlamp was out by the time they got it home, also had to have the assembly replaced.

Finally got the vehicle back today ... I attached a picture of the headlight replacement section of the paperwork.
Looks like the driver side headlamp assembly is part number FB5Z-13008-V and the control module is FB5Z-13C788-B.
image.jpeg

Four days to get the headlight fixed ... and to make things worse, I didn't notice the broken emblem until I got home!
image.jpeg

My neighbor has a new '16, their LED headlamp was out by the time they got it home, also had to have the assembly replaced.

We have three 16 Explorers, mine was the first one we got. Hopefully the other two won't have the same issue. I wonder if the bulb that was ordered last Thursday was for one of our older Explorers.

What a horrible design.. These headlights retail at over $1,100 a piece and dealer cost is $700... So if a bulb burns, owners have to buy a $770 (discount online) headlight because of a $100 bulb.. ridiculous!!

16 Sport just under 19K miles, driver side LED headlight (not the C shaped ribbon) is out, passenger side is ok. Has anybody else experienced this?

Hi, just joined this forum with exactly the same problem. my 2016 explorer's right led low beam is out with only 10k miles...
frankly i'm surprised as the manual says it isn't a serviceable item. I was trying to find a fuse for this lamp but its not on the scheme!

What was done at the end, have the entire lamp assembly been changed or there is a way to reset the system?

Hi, just joined this forum with exactly the same problem. my 2016 explorer's right led low beam is out with only 10k miles...
frankly i'm surprised as the manual says it isn't a serviceable item. I was trying to find a fuse for this lamp but its not on the scheme!

What was done at the end, have the entire lamp assembly been changed or there is a way to reset the system?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know why the list for the vehicle's fuses changed with the 2016 model year. Prior years had practically every fuse listed. As for the low beam going out, you will have to schedule a dealer visit to have that checked/replaced.
Please complete your registration by adding the requested "trim level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can at times be very useful info to have. Thank you.

Peter

hopefully something aftermarket will be available before most require replacement. Ridiculous having a headlight that's not serviceable.

hopefully something aftermarket will be available before most require replacement. Ridiculous having a headlight that's not serviceable.
Ford is not the only manufacturer that has this. A 2016 Cadillac CT6 has 12 LED exterior bulbs and only the backup light (regular bulb) is serviceable by user. All 9 LED lights on the Lexus RX350 are not serviceable by user.

Peter

Looks like the driver side headlamp assembly is part number FB5Z-13008-V and the control module is FB5Z-13C788-B.

Hi Folks, can someone help to check what's the right headlight part number, i'm going to place an order for mine? Guess control module should be the same for left and right units.

Hi Folks, can someone help to check what's the right headlight part number, i'm going to place an order for mine? Guess control module should be the same for left and right units.
Since you haven't added the 'Trim level' to your profile I did a look up for a Sport which NewYorkistanSux using his part number and it looks like a similar assembly is FB5Z-13008-H for the right side. http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...dlamp-components-scat/?part_number=fb5z13008v

Peter

Had my explorer one week and went through the same thing with left rear tail light assembly. They replaced it under warranty of course. Made sure my ESP has light option.
Tail light assy was over 700$

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At those prices, someone will find a way to service them ! It was odd though, that NewYorkistanSux's needed both the driver ("control module") and the lens/LED assembly replaced, unless their service department accidentally destroyed one or the other while fiddling with it. :) I suppose the control module could be potted so there's no way to service it and by service I mean discrete electronic component level repair, not something a dealership would do.

Back