I accidentally bought 2 Explorers this week | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I accidentally bought 2 Explorers this week

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
So I'm not a new member, but I haven't been active in a while, so I'll re-introduce myself here.

So, a month ago, I didn't have any plans to buy an Explorer. Well, that's not true, I've been wanting to get one again for a while, but just never really bothered. Anyway, so the a few weeks ago I bought a 2000 Ranger with a blown motor, maybe because I was bored, maybe because I was sick of the cold weather, who knows. So my plan was to pick up a 302, build it up and make a drag truck. So I parked it in the garage, and ripped the engine/trans out.

IMG_20160518_192850444_1.jpg

So now, I needed to find a 302. Plus, I needed a 8.8 axle instead of the little 7.5 in the ranger. So I realized, it would be best to find an explorer I could tear apart for the engine and axle. After some searching, I found a 2000 limited. Engine ran well, so it would make the perfect donor. And the price agreed upon was a 3 figure number. So I picked it up, and drove it 100 miles home. But then something happened on the drive. I realized it was in too good of shape to strip parts out of then send off to the scrap yard. What can I say, I fell in love. The thing ran great, it was loaded with every option, and was in great condition. I would call it a 9/10 for condition.

IMG_20160518_192659942.jpg

IMG_20160514_084233176.jpg

So, I've decided to keep it as a run around vehicle. But this left me in a bad situation, because I had a sad ranger in the garage with no engine, and no leads. So my search for a donor continued. A few days later, my friend called me up, because his neighbor was selling a 98 explorer with the 5.0, eddie bauer package (complete with LS rear diff), and was also very cheap. Luckily this one was in much worse shape, so I don't feel bad using it as a donor. But, the engine runs well, and has the GTP heads, returnless fuel system, and same PATS system as the ranger, making it the perfect donor. So now I've got it lined up and ready to start pulling the motor. Here's that one. It's not the prettiest, but that's what I need.

IMG_20160518_192920757.jpg

So now, my project can begin. I will probably be having a build thread to document the progress on the vehicles. Although, the plan for the ranger has changed...but it's top secret for the time being. All I can say is the plan involves frame cutting and a cage..

All I can say, is it feels good to be back with an explorer...or 2.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking forward to watching the build. Welcome back:chug:

Thanks for the welcome back, and yes FROADER, you're right, I just have a soft spot in my heart for white explorers.

Mike65, I have done some browsing over there, but haven't done any posting. I will have to check it out more. Based on what I've seen it seems I'm venturing into somewhat new territory, it doesn't seem like many have done them this new, with the PATS and so on.

The swap is going much slower than planned, been way too busy. Too many projects going on right now. I have most all of the parts I need currently, for the time being I am going with the MOD5R2 manual transmission, primarily because of the simplicity of connecting it with the hydraulic clutch, compared to having to do the cable conversion with the T5, and shifter relocation. I'm concerned I won't like the gear ratios in the MOD5R2, but if that is the case I will swap to a T5WC down the road.

I have my brackets done for the axle swap/relocation done, having a new laser makes doing this much easier than having to plasma them, like a caveman:D
IMG_20160603_103932531.jpg

I should have my roof done yet this week (the big thing holding up progress, along with having something happening every weekend) So hopefully this weekend I can get a lot done. Any more updates I'll put in a separate build thread.

Back