Android Double Din Head Unit with Dual Bluetooth | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Android Double Din Head Unit with Dual Bluetooth

CorbinDallas

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0 EB/2005 Aviator
Was looking to get a bluetooth dongle to run Torque Pro on my phone. Found this head unit shipping from China:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Newsmy_CarPad

Can run Torque Pro natively (still need the ODBII dongle), play movies, google maps, inputs for backup and/or dash camers, wifi, and probably run most apps for Android 4.4.x. Cost looks to be ~$400 USD.

Just wondering if anyone on here has experience with putting one of these into a 2nd Gen exploder? I recently got laid off at work so I want to cross a few things off my todo list (front hubs and finish the rear brake rebuild i'm in the middle of).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was looking to get a bluetooth dongle to run Torque Pro on my phone. Found this head unit shipping from China:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Newsmy_CarPad

Can run Torque Pro natively (still need the ODBII dongle), play movies, google maps, inputs for backup and/or dash camers, wifi, and probably run most apps for Android 4.4.x. Cost looks to be ~$400 USD.

Just wondering if anyone on here has experience with putting one of these into a 2nd Gen exploder? I recently got laid off at work so I want to cross a few things off my todo list (front hubs and finish the rear brake rebuild i'm in the middle of).

Android Double Din is on my list for mods on the Mazda.. did you get it?

Never seen that before, pretty cool.

Lately I've been thinking that all the functions of a stereo head unit including GPS, phone and OBD11 hookup could be handled by a decent 7" touchscreen tablet.

I've been wanting to install an Android tablet in mine for years now. This looks like it would be easier then rigging stuff up like I was going to. Although I have everything I need to rig it up except for the tablet.

Have also been considering installing a tablet in the old rig. With technology abundant and prices being so reasonable, why not grab a $50 android tablet and give it a go? Obviously you get what you pay for here...but if you test it out with a cheaper tablet, you can always upgrade it and hopefully be a plug-and-play deal. Definitely want to see how this turns out.

Have also been considering installing a tablet in the old rig. With technology abundant and prices being so reasonable, why not grab a $50 android tablet and give it a go?

I reckon if you plug it into a decent amp you'll get as good sound as you need.
I play MP3s on my home stereo and it sounds pretty good.

I've got an app on my tablet that plays radio stations from all over the world over data. I don't know how much data is uses though.

I reckon if you plug it into a decent amp you'll get as good sound as you need.
I play MP3s on my home stereo and it sounds pretty good.

I've got an app on my tablet that plays radio stations from all over the world over data. I don't know how much data is uses though.

Yeah, I'm not too sure I would consistently stream radio/music over the tablet (if I installed one). I would probably end up storing music on it and using it for the gps function. Plus it would look pretty nice as opposed to some of the fancy touch screen radios selling for $300+.

And correct me if I am wrong, but most phones have the ability to use gps even if not connected to wifi or 3G/4G. I think there's some kind of transmitter in there that syncs to the map (already installed on the phone).

Yeah, I'm not too sure I would consistently stream radio/music over the tablet (if I installed one). I would probably end up storing music on it and using it for the gps function. Plus it would look pretty nice as opposed to some of the fancy touch screen radios selling for $300+.

And correct me if I am wrong, but most phones have the ability to use gps even if not connected to wifi or 3G/4G. I think there's some kind of transmitter in there that syncs to the map (already installed on the phone).

I'm in Australia so your results may differ.

I'm currently using an old smart phone as a speedo using a GPS app.
It's fitted with a pay as you go sim card that I haven't paid for months.
It still gets wi fi and satellite signals but not phone and data.

I'm pretty sure the phone needs something in the sim slot for the GPS to work.

There's always the radio app that comes with the pad, you just need an aerial for it, usually headphones but the wire going to the amp would probably do it.

You can also ring the emergency number without a sim card. handy.

I'm in Australia so your results may differ.

I'm currently using an old smart phone as a speedo using a GPS app.
It's fitted with a pay as you go sim card that I haven't paid for months.
It still gets wi fi and satellite signals but not phone and data.

I'm pretty sure the phone needs something in the sim slot for the GPS to work.

There's always the radio app that comes with the pad, you just need an aerial for it, usually headphones but the wire going to the amp would probably do it.

You can also ring the emergency number without a sim card. handy.

I wonder if a non-phone tablet would be able to act as a gps/speedo since I don't believe it has a SIM card (could be wrong on that account). I know they must have some type of transmitter because they can use gps if connected to data/wifi.

I wonder if a non-phone tablet would be able to act as a gps/speedo since I don't believe it has a SIM card (could be wrong on that account). I know they must have some type of transmitter because they can use gps if connected to data/wifi.

One way to find out :)

I know maps doesn't work on my Ipad if it isn't connected to wi fi.

One way to find out :)

I know maps doesn't work on my Ipad if it isn't connected to wi fi.

That sucks. Although after discussing this a bit, I did a little research and as long as the tablet has a gps chip in it, you can download a map app and use it. Some require payment while some are free. NAVFree is an app that kept popping up on android tablets and looks like a solid GPS (and free) that doesn't require a data stream or wifi. You download the map to your device (or SD card) and you are off. I may have to give this a try.

That sucks.

That's just the iPad, android is very likely to be different.
Like I said, I use a GPS speedo app on an android phone without a data connection.

That's just the iPad, android is very likely to be different.
Like I said, I use a GPS speedo app on an android phone without a data connection.

Yeah I got ya. My kids both have iPads and I wouldn't put one of those in the rig. Too restrictive. I would rather have something more open source like an android that I could customize a bit to my liking...and won't break the bank.

I had installed an android head unit into my 2nd Gen and it is AWESOME! I have all my music stored on it, can play dvds, mp3s, work with bluetooth, subwoofers, back up camera, the list goes on. The only problem I have is in order to use Google maps (as it'd easier to use in comparison to other offline GPS apps in my opinion) you need data to use it for precisely. So I also picked up a straight talk myfi 4G to go with and during my trip to Tucson it worked flawlessly. I don't have a name brand like pioneer or jvc nothing like that, it's a cheapo ebay gig I got for about 200 bucks. For a cheap Chinese rig, I really enjoy it. Few things can be fixed on it but overall I'm quite pleased with it. Let me try and set a photo or link from eBay to show what I've got. Keep in mind, a little modification to the stereo bezel is needed and you can't angle the screen in the right direction due to the size of the head unit. Ok, no can do photos from my phone.

Here's a link to the one I got
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Android-4-4-3...ayer-GPS-Navi-Camera-/201546507927?nav=SEARCH

Back