Pass rear brake dragging | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pass rear brake dragging

XploX

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 All-Terrain
Can the traction control cause the brake to drag?
The light on the dash is on and I noticed a hot brake smell. It's coming from the pass rear wheel and it's getting pretty hot.
I saw something mentioned that a TCB, whatever that is, for the traction control can cause the brakes to be applied if it senses wheel spin. With the light on, can it be thinking it's slipping and the brake is being applied?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds plausible to me. What codes are you reading?

I don't know what codes it's reading. Haven't found a place that has a scanner for ABS/TC.
There is a place that might have one not far from me, they list ABS service. Have to wait until tomorrow to find out, they're not open today.

I don't know what codes it's reading. Haven't found a place that has a scanner for ABS/TC.
There is a place that might have one not far from me, they list ABS service. Have to wait until tomorrow to find out, they're not open today.

If you are near an Advance Auto Parts store, the scanners they use read ABS codes as well as CEL codes and they do it for free.

Can the traction control cause the brake to drag?
The light on the dash is on and I noticed a hot brake smell. It's coming from the pass rear wheel and it's getting pretty hot.
I saw something mentioned that a TCB, whatever that is, for the traction control can cause the brakes to be applied if it senses wheel spin. With the light on, can it be thinking it's slipping and the brake is being applied?

Thanks.

Make sure your caliper pins are greased, dried out ones can cause one side of the brake pad to stick and rub against the rotor or you can have a caliper piston starting to lock up. I had a re-occurring rear brake pad keep sticking on me and getting hot and causing drag as I drove, this is even after I greased up the caliper pins real good, so I decided enough was enough and replaced both rear brake calipers and I also bled all four brake lines and installed new brake fluid throughout. Problem is now gone! If you go this route, don't forget to use online coupons from couponcabin.com for Advance Auto Parts to purchase the new brake calipers. They will save you money.

Had it scanned and it has a ton of codes. Most of them relate to the cluster sensor.
I was told by a few different places, that the TC has nothing to do with a dragging brake.
I'm going to be changing both rear calipers and rubber hoses while it's apart. I'd rather only bleed the brakes once.

Now the front drivers side upper balljoint is squeaking. Probably dry since the boots are cracked. So it looks like I'll be replacing the upper arms also.

I'm really starting to hate this truck.

Back