Looking at the 2016 Explorer Sport...questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at the 2016 Explorer Sport...questions...

AlDente67

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hello all, I'm on the hunt for a 3-row SUV and got to take a brief test drive of the 2016 Sport yesterday. I had some questions that I figure the owner community can better opine upon than the salesman (who wasn't really familiar with the vehicle).

I currently am leasing a 2014 Grand Cherokee Altitude, and approaching the point to decide on something to replace it.

I really do like the features of the Explorer Sport - adequate power, all the bells and whistles in the 401A pack, dual sunroof, etc. Lease quote is about $500/mo with a small down payment. List price is $50.5 and final discount price is about $49.5k with sales tax (NJ is 7% on the leased portion), doc fees, and a couple of garbage fees.
I haven't begun any serious negotiations as of yet, so I'm not sure if this price is malleable for an in-stock car at the end of the model year. I hear that the 2017 will not bring much at all in the way of changes, so the '16 would be fine for me.

My questions are more focused on off-road capability. I do sometimes do some surf fishing, which involves driving onto the beach sand and moving a half mile or so through soft sand that could be 8 inches deep (if you wander away from the ruts created by the other guys. The Jeep can do it if I air down the tires to 15psi or so, but it does not have a true 4WD Low transfer case (in the trim line that I have). The Ford has the low gear and the sand setting, but obviously I can't test it during the usual loop around the dealership. One review I found does mention that the Ford is not really intended for off-road, which seems to indicate that a sand setting really means some sand on a paved surface...I'm guessing?

Also, the reviews bring up the NAV/infotainment system as being horrible until it is replaced in the 2017 model year. Is it really that bad or are they nitpicking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer will not do what you mentioned your Jeep can/will do (airing down, 8" of clearance) so if that is often for you... this might not be the correct SUV for your need.

Sync touch screen/NAV - is not that bad and MUCH better as it has aged/matured/updated over the years.

The Explorer will not do what you mentioned your Jeep can/will do (airing down, 8" of clearance) so if that is often for you... this might not be the correct SUV for your need.

I was really hoping you wouldn't say that, damn!

Yeah I hear you but different animals. Maybe the 4Runner?

Yeah I hear you but different animals. Maybe the 4Runner?

I'll take a look at that, but in the meantime...

I like the idea of the bucket seats in the second row. The sales guy said you can get that with or without a center console between the 2nd row chairs. He said getting one with it poses a big problem because the console is not designed to be removed, so he suggested just an empty pass-through in that spot. Of course, that is what he had on the lot, so likely blowing smoke.

What do you think? If I get the chairs instead of the bench, and I need to haul something large so as to fold away the 2nd and 3rd rows, is the console a problem?

Thanks Peter, the air down seems to be a common issue. Frankly, I was fine in the Jeep early in the season when the sand was heavy and wet. Then when it was dry and loose during the summer heat, I ran into the same problem. Got stuck real good! Aired down to 15 and got away. Now I carry a compressor in the equipment kit.

I can understand Ford suggesting not to do so because of the one idiot who forgets to air back up and crashes back on the pavement. They need to CYA.

As mentioned by others, the EX in stock form is not very capable off of paved roads. The infotainment system is perfectly fine as is and I have 0 complaints except for some minor bugs that comes with anything "electronic".

Where do you go surf fishing? I have a friend that drives into island beach state park with an explorer sport and doesn't have much trouble. One thing ill highly recommend on it is the adaptive cruise, I have it on my new car and I absolutely love it. Before I had it never used the cruise but this car came with adaptive and I absolutely love it

I have no experience with my explorer in sand but have read multiple threads that say airing down to 12-14 psi worked. Someone else did a tire change from the stock hankook's and no longer had issues in the sand. The explorer is never going to be amazing in the sand, but you should be able to get by.

In my 2016 I have had zero issues with the nav/sync system. I actually really like it.

Ive been surf fish in both a 15 and 16 explorer sport with AWD. Never had a problem with just sand mode and stock pressure. I did stay in the ruts or on the hard pack surface.

The Siri hands free update to Sync has been nice! Would be nicer if we could get upgraded to Sync3.

As mentioned by others, the EX in stock form is not very capable off of paved roads".

I owned the first generation Explorer and the redesigned, at the time, third generation 2002 Explorer, both of which were much more like trucks and could take some pounding off road. This generation of Explorer is far more like a car and with its fragile suspension and unibody design, therefore, I would not recommend taking it off road much, even on just semi rough terrain.

Like others have said the new Explorer is most comfortable on paved roads. Light sand/ruts would be fine, but anything more severe and your asking for trouble. The only offroading mine has seen was when my Ford dealer was paving the lot and I had to go through a muddy section to get in and out of the dealer. Handled it like a champ but I wouldn't want to do it with any sort of regularity.

I watched a video of an Ex on a fairly challenging trail (ruts and rocks) and it did quite well until it got to a point where its limited clearance stopped it in its tracks.

Peter

The ground clearance is your major issue - the sand settings will work amazingly well even on the dry sand. But if you really are going to get out deep enough to say bog in 5+ inches in - then you'll most likely be stuck in the explorer.

either the front body aero dam or the fender well or the suspension arms - rods could be dug in at that point. For just that function in a car I wouldn't be taking a leather seated - complicated electronic nav - nicely painted car out to get that deep in the surf and sand.

just my 0.03. SO I'd honestly look for a used something maybe a 03 explorer or some such - that is able to have 8 inches of clearance - and you can beat on it for just that trip.

and have a nice car for everything else you do.

Let me tell you...I just got back from St. Augustine beach...the exp had NO trouble in the sand. However I should have listened to my wife, and kept it in the parking lot. This may seem OCD, but there was sand everywhere with the 15-20mph wind. I mean on the window sills, in the engine bay, around the door handles and weather stripping. I had a detailer spray it off the next day, and I just washed it carefully with lots of water (and theres still sand on it). I mean I expect sand at the beach but this was crazy. Think about where you put your 50K.

Back