where to purchase a rebuild tranny? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

where to purchase a rebuild tranny?

crabbman

Reaction score
City, State
gypsum co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer xlt
Looking to replace the tranny. Not going to do the gasket rebuild kit even though it is cheap.
Where is a good vendor for a rebuild tranny? I heard $1200.00 is a fair price.
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer, 4.6 lliter,4 door,xlt, 4 wheel drive.
Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking to replace the tranny. Not going to do the gasket rebuild kit even though it is cheap.
Where is a good vendor for a rebuild tranny? I heard $1200.00 is a fair price.
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer, 4.6 lliter,4 door,xlt, 4 wheel drive.
Thank you.

Are you just looking to buy a rebuilt tranny and have it shipped to you and you will install it yourself or do you want a tranny shop to do all of the labor and install it as well? You need to check out tranny shops in your area if you want them to do the full R&R. Find a reputable one. $1200 is low for an installed, rebuilt tranny at a shop. Figure $1600 or more, but it depends on the area of country you are in. Prices vary by location.

Are you just looking to buy a rebuilt tranny and have it shipped to you and you will install it yourself or do you want a tranny shop to do all of the labor and install it as well? You need to check out tranny shops in your area if you want them to do the full R&R. Find a reputable one. $1200 is low for an installed, rebuilt tranny at a shop. Figure $1600 or more, but it depends on the area of country you are in. Prices vary by location.

Man, things are cheap up in the mainland. A tranny shop R&R down here on Long Island is like $2800 and up.

Local AAMCO did mine for $2500. 1k less than the dealer. $2500 seems the going rate in GA.

Things to look for are cost, warranty coverage and time frame.

Has the shop been around? What are there online reviews if any? How long do they warrant the trans and labor. Cheap trans with 90 day warranty isn't worth it.

Minimum one year warranty, 3-5 if you can find it would be best.

Buying one and installing it yourself? There's a $300 Rotunda alignment tool needed. (307-403) You may find it on eBay/Amazon for $100 at times. Without use (and proof) of this tool, you may not have a tranny warranty.
$1,600 for trans, $300 for tool, fluid, headache. Adds up pretty quick.

Thank you, EXPROBLEMS.
Yes delivered to home and I will install. Not sure about this special alighnment tool I am suppose to have.

Local AAMCO did mine for $2500. 1k less than the dealer. $2500 seems the going rate in GA.

Things to look for are cost, warranty coverage and time frame.

Has the shop been around? What are there online reviews if any? How long do they warrant the trans and labor. Cheap trans with 90 day warranty isn't worth it.

Minimum one year warranty, 3-5 if you can find it would be best.

Buying one and installing it yourself? There's a $300 Rotunda alignment tool needed. (307-403) You may find it on eBay/Amazon for $100 at times. Without use (and proof) of this tool, you may not have a tranny warranty.
$1,600 for trans, $300 for tool, fluid, headache. Adds up pretty quick.
Thank you Number 4. Did not know about alighnment tool. Thank you. Yes I want it delivered to house and I will install.

Local reputable shop here in Dallas did my 5r55e for $2300 last year. 17k miles no problems.

I have been on a search for a transmission also. I found a few good shops with varied pricing. The best person I talked to would sell me a pulled one for 750 and 950 with the brass sleeve for the servo (55R5S). he had a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. I really wasnt sure if i believed him so i waited and called back to talk with his boss, same information from him. Not sure where you live, but they are located in Brooklyn, NY. Another guy in upstate NY seemed to come highly reccomended but his prices were high (1000 for pulled tranny with 125K), then you had to buy step up warranties. I can just go to a local junkyard for that. Shops like to use him because you can pay extra an extra fee to have the warranty include labor.

Good luck

I have been on a search for a transmission also. I found a few good shops with varied pricing. The best person I talked to would sell me a pulled one for 750 and 950 with the brass sleeve for the servo (55R5S). he had a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. I really wasnt sure if i believed him so i waited and called back to talk with his boss, same information from him. Not sure where you live, but they are located in Brooklyn, NY. Another guy in upstate NY seemed to come highly reccomended but his prices were high (1000 for pulled tranny with 125K), then you had to buy step up warranties. I can just go to a local junkyard for that. Shops like to use him because you can pay extra an extra fee to have the warranty include labor.

Good luck
Thank you mister 216. This helps.
Good day

Hello I was looking for names of online suppliers of transmissions for 5r55e. Not interested in junk yard transmissions, or local transmission shops.
Good day.

Hello I was looking for names of online suppliers of transmissions for 5r55e. Not interested in junk yard transmissions, or local transmission shops.
Good day.

You can check this place out. They are located in Hamburg, NY , just south of Buffalo, NY. I have heard good things about their transmissions. A friend of mine had a reman tranny from them installed a few years ago for $2400, with a 3 year warranty. Not sure if you can have one shipped to you, but I don't see why not. Doesn't hurt to phone them and get some prices.

http://northeasterntransparts.com/

You can check this place out. They are located in Hamburg, NY , just south of Buffalo, NY. I have heard good things about their transmissions. A friend of mine had a reman tranny from them installed a few years ago for $2400, with a 3 year warranty. Not sure if you can have one shipped to you, but I don't see why not. Doesn't hurt to phone them and get some prices.

http://northeasterntransparts.com/
Thank you EXPROBLEMS. This helps.
Good day

I forgot to mention Dons in Binghamton if thats closer for you. They supposedly do rebuilds too. Maybe someone knows of them. I called for a transmission last week. 1000 for a documented "S" with under 50K bench tested with soft parts replaced. They have a warranty program but you have to pay a step up fee. its a little more than i wanted to put into the car.

Dons is a pretty decent place. They buy wrecked cars that are 10 years or newer with less than 100k and strip them of parts. You then call up with what you need and they give you a used price. Most of the parts are a reasonable price. Good customer support and staff.

I priced an engine last year. Around $3,000 with over 100+k miles. This type of motor is known to fail at 100K and the used motor from Dons had no fixes/updates done to the motor... But call ask, very friendly. I have used them multiple times for parts and have been very happy.

I forgot to mention Dons in Binghamton if thats closer for you. They supposedly do rebuilds too. Maybe someone knows of them. I called for a transmission last week. 1000 for a documented "S" with under 50K bench tested with soft parts replaced. They have a warranty program but you have to pay a step up fee. its a little more than i wanted to put into the car.
Thank you 216. This helps.
Good day

Dons is a pretty decent place. They buy wrecked cars that are 10 years or newer with less than 100k and strip them of parts. You then call up with what you need and they give you a used price. Most of the parts are a reasonable price. Good customer support and staff.

I priced an engine last year. Around $3,000 with over 100+k miles. This type of motor is known to fail at 100K and the used motor from Dons had no fixes/updates done to the motor... But call ask, very friendly. I have used them multiple times for parts and have been very happy.
Thank you Joe. This helps.
Good day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just picked up up what i am hoping is a good transmission out of an 02 police Ex with 88K on it. has the Jersey rust, but the guy was a straight shooter. his mechanic told him he wouldnt put an engine in it or redo the chains and tensioners because its too much work and he would barely make any money on the truck. He only buys police and fire autos (crown vics, expeditions, explorers etc).

anybody know of any good backyard bench tests I can do on it while its sitting here? any enhancements other than servos i can perform in a semi-limited capacity?

Also, I saw somewhere that the holes on the Solenoid on the 04 & 05 transmissions are bigger than the ones on the 02's and 03's. is this so? Just wondering what parts to take before i find a place to get some type of core fee for it..

thanks crabbman for letting me post in your thread - I still have trans places calling me so as they do i will post my reports here.

Back