• Register Today It's free!

GRR door handles

Explorer2011

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer V8
They seem to break endlessly i wish the 98 model explorer had the new door handle design that the 2000+ explorers have

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You and me both. However I did Replace the Outside handles with handles from the 97 ex. They are made of metal, not plastic. and Those seem to last longer.

You and me both. However I did Replace the Outside handles with handles from the 97 ex. They are made of metal, not plastic. and Those seem to last longer.

omg, i just ordered the plastic ones for the 2nd time from ebay.. where can you find the medal ones without paying OEM prices? lol

funny thing is... its like it happened over night... one day it was fine.. then the next morning it felt like the spring was about to snap and i was being careful then all of the sudden the handle itself snapped right off... i do live in a bad neighborhood and have a system i was thinking someone was yanking on my door handle tryin to get into my truck but couldn't because it was locked.

I just replaced the second time the interior handle. The ones that I got from parts store are made in China - the plastic tooth broke off in one month of light use (my child used that door maybe 10-20 times).
The OEM ones are not to find anymore new for my 2001. So, I am contemplating to raid the junk yards around for original ones that might be in better shape (less wear/use).

How about the interior ones? Are those equal to OEM or equal to Dorman?

Jeremy, those are the plastic ones arn't they?

Check the junk yards they are pretty cheap, but make sure it is a 97.
Then just paint to match color.

Jeremy, those are the plastic ones arn't they?

Not Jeremy but the pre-98 handles are cast metal that is painted black...In the past I have used early Ranger door handles which are chromed metal...

Early as in Gen 1 83-88 I believe...These also fit my Scorpio which had a reputation for breaking the plastic exterior door handles...

Not Jeremy but the pre-98 handles are cast metal that is painted black...In the past I have used early Ranger door handles which are chromed metal...

Early as in Gen 1 83-88 I believe...These also fit my Scorpio which had a reputation for breaking the plastic exterior door handles...

Thanks, def what i need but i already ordered the plastic one... so i gotta wait til that one break to get metal ha

Back