• Register Today It's free!

12v Power Points Not Working

ThunderFan

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
As the title says, all 4 of my 12v power point/outlets are not working. The fuses are fine. I even swapped the 20A fuse from the moonroof with one of the power point fuses and the moonroof still works and the power point doesn't. I find it odd that all 4 of them aren't working. All other electronics in the vehicle work fine. The 110v outlet works fine, the usb ports work fine, moonroof, wipers, mirrors, etc. I'm kinda stumped. Anything else you guys think of I can check? The truck is a 2013 with just over 50k miles so out of warranty and I'd rather avoid the dealer if it's an easy fix. Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you using the same adapter in each one? The adapter itself could be the problem.

Yes, it's the same adapter but I've verified the adapter works in our other car.

I just looked at the 2013 manual. Did you check Fuse #91? Its for all the accessories. I'm assume those power points only work when the vehicle is running?

I did not check fuse 91, so I went out to the garage to look at it. Mind you, I bought the car used, but there was no fuse at all where 91 should be. I'm thinking great, this will fix my problem. Ran down the street to Autozone and bought a couple 10A fuses, put one in there...still nothing. Tried the other new fuse, that didn't work either. I haven't swapped out all 4 20A fuses, I only swapped a couple of them with the moonroof fuse for testing, but if one of the other ones is blown I wouldn't think it would cause all 4 outlets to go dark, only the one that is blown. Visually all 4 20A fuses look fine.

Edit - I'm pretty sure they are supposed to work even with the vehicle off. For good measure I started it up with the new fuse and they still don't work.

Service Manual shows they are all fused under the hood with separate fuses. I find it hard to believe 4 fuses would be bad. Fuses 20,27,9 and 21 all 20 amp fuses.

Have you put a multimeter to it? I wouldn't assume that it's the car and not the adapter until you've verified with one.

You need to check continuity from socket to fuse panel, suspect wiring issue.

Yeah, it's looking like an issue I'm going to have to take to someone else to try and fix.

You need to check continuity from socket to fuse panel, suspect wiring issue.
Wiring is what could be the issue but why would all 4 circuits go out at once. There are 4 fuses, 1 for each outlet so it doesn't seem to be a single circuit.:dunno:

Peter

There has to be a fuse that binds them all (lord of the ring style) I had the same issue on a Ford Focus, I know it's not the same vehicle, but I found out that if you do not use the right amp fuse the backup fuse will not let you run the socket...

Interesting. So do you think it could still be one of the 4 fuses for the individual power points? The only 2 I tested with a known working fuse were #9 and #20. I suppose I could pull #21 and #27 one at a time and see if one of those is the culprit. They both looked fine, but I guess one of them could still be bad. I can't find any other fuse label that would be related, other than #91 that was pointed out to me last night and I already placed a new one in 91.

Try changing all four fuses just for the hell of it. They are the easiest and cheapest part to replace. As others have said, it is odd that all four are dead. I know you said you tried the adapter in another vehicle but just to be sure do you have another you could try?

Yes, I've been testing with 2 different phone charger adapters and they both work in my wife's Mustang. I'll try swapping out all 4 fuses tonight and see what happens.

I too find it difficult to believe fuses are culprit. I did find two connectors for the rear harness that could be an issue. Inside the left kick panel are two loom connectors numbered 212 and 213 that may have some input as to faults. Realistically the same component that has concerns is the plug that goes into the jack. I understand it works in another vehicle but at least humor us to try a different plug that also works in another vehicle as well.

Yes, I've been testing with 2 different adapter plugs, both of which work in my other vehicle. I just went and swapped fuses again. I didn't replace them all with 4 new ones, I took the one from the moonroof slot since I know it's good and swapped all 4 one by one. No dice. At this point I'm pretty confident the fuses aren't the issue. It looks like if/when I decide this is important enough to throw money at I'll need to take it to my mechanic since electrical issues are a little outside my realm. At least the usb and 110v ports still work fine so I'm not without charging options when I'm in the car.

I don't understand why you don't take a multimeter first and see what it's delivering.

Not everyone carries around a multimeter as it appears your assumption imlpies

Correct. The reason I haven't done that is because I do not own a multimeter. I'll talk to some friends and see if I can get my hands on one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Correct. The reason I haven't done that is because I do not own a multimeter. I'll talk to some friends and see if I can get my hands on one.

I figured and that's no problem, but you'll save yourself a ton of time and not rely on if some adapters are working or not to diagnose the issue. You don't need to buy an expensive Fluke. You can get a cheapo $20 one at Harbor Freight and it'll do the trick and you could even return it after you're done.

Back