Rear Bumper Protectors | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bumper Protectors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally put the BMC one on my 2016. It is the one with the lines. It was hot so I thought I could get it to follow the curve better. Fitment sucks. The bumper curves way more than the BMC cover. It sticks out a little on each end and it isn't quite even. Looks hokey for a $50k SUV. I want to take it off and try something else. Has anyone had luck removing one? It is stuck on there pretty damn well!

Perhaps the bumper is different than those of previous years and the one you have might have been for those. The one in post 104 looks really good. Looking at their website it says, "Ford Explorer Rear Bumper Cover Protector Guard 2011-2015". They don't seem to have included 2016.

Peter

Finally put the BMC one on my 2016. It is the one with the lines. It was hot so I thought I could get it to follow the curve better. Fitment sucks. The bumper curves way more than the BMC cover. It sticks out a little on each end and it isn't quite even. Looks hokey for a $50k SUV. I want to take it off and try something else. Has anyone had luck removing one? It is stuck on there pretty damn well!

Just an idea, but if worst comes to worst, I'd get a very strong fishing line at Walmart, wrap it around both my hands with gloves and hand towels, get it under the corners towards the inside of the car, and work it back and forth to cut the tape and release the cover. You'll have some cleanup work afterward, but don't need it to be perfect if you are going to install another one. Hope it goes well!

Thanks, I've added the rear bumper protector as well.
20150407_200534-M.jpg

20150407_200527-M.jpg

20150407_200517-M.jpg

Front door speakers this week/weekend are next!
Has anyone found a different rear bumper protector, since the one sold by Ford does dot cover the space between the black protector and the end of the bumper. It would be great if it went to the end of the bumper and went down a little ways. Mine is getting knicked. Any help would be appreciated.

Has anyone found a different rear bumper protector, since the one sold by Ford does dot cover the space between the black protector and the end of the bumper. It would be great if it went to the end of the bumper and went down a little ways. Mine is getting knicked. Any help would be appreciated.
Your thread has been merged with this one I found using the Forum's handy 'Search' function. There were also a few others that popped up.

Peter

What's the best way to get the OEM Ford protector off so I can put a new one on.

Has anyone else had back luck with the BMC protector? Looking at getting one, and I'm between the Dawn RBP-005 and the BMC one. Seeing a few posts that had bad luck with the BMC, I'm curious if it was the wrong year product, or actually a bad fit...

Any and all help would be great!

Has anyone else had back luck with the BMC protector? Looking at getting one, and I'm between the Dawn RBP-005 and the BMC one. Seeing a few posts that had bad luck with the BMC, I'm curious if it was the wrong year product, or actually a bad fit...

Any and all help would be great!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If the "bad luck" you are talking about refers to post 109 above, then it might be because that the cover wasn't designed for a 2016. If you check their site you will see that it is for 2011 - 2015 models. The 2016 was a 'refresh' and the rear bumper likely changed a little.
http://www.bmcextremecustoms.net/20foexrebupr.html

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If the "bad luck" you are talking about refers to post 109 above, then it might be because that the cover wasn't designed for a 2016. If you check their site you will see that it is for 2011 - 2015 models. The 2016 was a 'refresh' and the rear bumper likely changed a little.
http://www.bmcextremecustoms.net/20foexrebupr.html

Peter

Thanks Peter. I just assumed that they had bought the 16 version

Thanks Peter. I just assumed that they had bought the 16 version
Apologies all around. I just went by the site's first page and thought that is all they stocked. Come to find after further checking that they do in fact have them for the 2016-2017 models and I now see what need-a-cage was referring to. The small picture of the latest one seems to be cut straight at the ends and I can see how it may come up short on the bumper. I also noticed that if you click on the 2016-2017 photo, the enlarged picture is the same one they used for the 2011-2015 cover. A little misleading in my opinion. So once again my apologies for 'jumping the gun' on this initially. :banghead:

Peter

I have just received my BMC protector and am somewhat disappointed in the depth of coverage. It does not go back to the tailgate. Does the Dawn RBP go further back to the tailgate?

I have just received my BMC protector and am somewhat disappointed in the depth of coverage. It does not go back to the tailgate. Does the Dawn RBP go further back to the tailgate?

Darrylm, would you mind posting a picture to show what you mean? That'd be greatly appreciated!

Darrylm, would you mind posting a picture to show what you mean? That'd be greatly appreciated!
I haven't put it on yet as I'm trying to decide if I will. I dry fitted it. I will try and lay it on there and see if I can photo.

I haven't put it on yet as I'm trying to decide if I will. I dry fitted it. I will try and lay it on there and see if I can photo.
I tried taping it but to its benefit, I tried several tapes and they wouldn't hold on the cover. I had to go from car metal to bumper. Here are a couple photos. One shows how it doesn't cover as deep as OEM and the other the space. %#&@?* I can't figure how to get pics in here. I have them on my I pad but don't know how to go from there. I clicked the photo icon and it asks for url, I don't know what to put to get to the photo section on th I pad like I normally do to add photos to sites.

Sorry

I wish I had purchased the rear bumper protector on my '13 Edge before I sold it, I scratched the hell out of that bumper loading and unloading things. Is there a rear bumper protector accessory available for 16+ Explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back