2007 4.6 V8 Low Coolant

Adam Jermain

Reaction score
City, State
Madison
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am looking at purchases a 2007 4.6 V8 Explorer. When we went to see it, the coolant recovery tank was empty which seemed odd to me. The coolant has to be going somewhere. I have seen that a lot of people say the radiator leaks and hopefully thats all it is. I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the engine burning coolant? Also does anyone have any advice and what to check to see where the coolant might be going?
Thanks,
Adam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am looking at purchases a 2007 4.6 V8 Explorer. When we went to see it, the coolant recovery tank was empty which seemed odd to me. The coolant has to be going somewhere. I have seen that a lot of people say the radiator leaks and hopefully thats all it is. I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the engine burning coolant? Also does anyone have any advice and what to check to see where the coolant might be going?
Thanks,
Adam

Take a look at this video.Mine was leaking from that bottom drivers side corner and was visible at the support post.

Mine just started seeping at the heater hose Y on the passenger side of the engine. I ordered a plastic Y from Summit to splice in.

I also just replaced the rotted squeeze clamps on the coolant lines that run to the rear, was seeping from there too.

...in addition to the radiator tanks referenced above.

Mine cracked at the heater hose assembly Y. I cut vinyl compression bands off with a zizz wheel and replaced it with a Gate 3/4 T for $8.00

Mine was also leaking from the Y piece, you can see it fairly easily if you look up through the passenger wheel well to see if yours is leaking there.

My 4.6 was burning slowly through small head gasket Leak into the cylinder and burning off (Small steam out exhaust) NOT EVER OVER HEATED . Got 235k on this f so o been topping off coolant for over a year. Small tiny leak and never any smell or puddles under in garage . My two cents 🙋🏼‍♂️.

Back