Air conditioning and oil alert at the same time. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air conditioning and oil alert at the same time.

RetroHarley

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Paul, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
I had an interesting experience yesterday and before I head into the shop tomorrow I thought I would ask the forum.

I drove up to a friend's cabin on Friday, the car ran fine. Yesterday the wife and I headed home and she noticed shortly after departure that her side of the car was getting hot air. I thought maybe it was a problem with the dual air so I switched it off, no luck. I changed every setting on the climate control panel, no luck.

After 1/2 hour of driving, my "change engine oil" light came on. I change it every 5,000 miles and still have 2.800 left before my 5,000 mile change.

I don't think the two are connected but I'm curious why both happened at the same time. Just bad luck or am I missing something?

2013 XLT, 54,000 miles.

Thank you for any responses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the A/C work on your side? Did you check the the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor to see what it showed?

Peter

Yes, the air conditioning works fine on my side and no, I didn't check Intelligent Oil Monitor.

This is my first Explorer and forgot about the IOM.

I can't think of anything that would cause the Change Engine Oil warning to come on other than the IOLM. If you've never reset it, that could be the issue. As for the A/C issue there is a thread on the 'blend door actuator' sticking or not working which will cause either only hot or cold air to be blown from the vent. It could be that. the following thread concerns the left side.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...d-drivers-side-blend-door-replacement.436412/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...m-dash-blend-door-actuator-diy-repair.410152/

Peter

Yea, I forgot to reset the IOLM when I had the oil changed 3 weeks ago, I'm sure that's it.

Thanks for the blend door actuator links, I'll read through the thread, thank you for the post.

Back