3.5 Ecoboost - What type of fuel are you running? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.5 Ecoboost - What type of fuel are you running?

93 Since i first got it. not a huge difference in performance or MPG but its there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

93 here

Fuel..EcoBoost

I previously owned a 2014 SHO.. My experience ..it did not perform well
on lower octane fuel...It did not perform well on questionable fuel either..

There were concerns as well about keeping the engine "clean" due to the turbos..

I ran nothing but 93 Octane Tier 1 fuel...Primarily Shell..

I came out of a BMW ..and had to have the new car towed to have the
engine cleaned due to fouling ..The fuel dealers/suppliers were not
putting the engine cleaning compounds in the gasoline and after a few months
this NEW car failed to run..

On My new 2016 Explorer.. I elected to go non turbo and have learned my
lesson...I will not run premium..but will run Toptier gasoline... period.

This may help...

http://www.toptiergas.com/

well i have a 93 tune....so 93 lol

There were concerns as well about keeping the engine "clean" due to the turbos..

This may help...

I am not sure if you work for Top Tier or not, but a lot of Shell's are Top Tier. And premium gas can be Top Tier gas also, it is not one or the other. I am not sure you know how Octane works, but it even says in the manual to use higher octanes for higher performance. But I do agree on the Top Tier additives. You may be using them daily and not even know.

Hmmmm

I am not sure if you work for Top Tier or not, but a lot of Shell's are Top Tier. And premium gas can be Top Tier gas also, it is not one or the other. I am not sure you know how Octane works, but it even says in the manual to use higher octanes for higher performance. But I do agree on the Top Tier additives. You may be using them daily and not even know.

I do Not work for top tier... I tested Oil/Fuel while in the Air Force// I rebuilt
engines for the Military//and have owned over 300 Cars//

From Porsche ..BMW..SAAB Turbos..Mercedes..and My family has a long history in the Oil and Gas Business...

However ..........................I appreciate your insight..I will look into the Octane
thing...thanks

non-turbo ?

Curious what lesson you learned by not getting Ecoboost engine ???

This may help...

EcoBoost

I drove the 16 Exlplorer and respected the power delivery.. I liked the fact that I could run regular..and 290 HP performs very well

The EcoBoost . "recommended" premium.. And I personally never obtained
the mileage Ford recommended with that engine..

After 500 Miles Im very pleased with the Mileage and performance ..
For the added costs/fuel/ price differences would not consider the eco boost

Ford needs to upgrade the transmission to 8/9 speed ..to achieve better
numbers. I anticipate the next Explorer will be lighter...more aluminium
as well

The Explorer manual states regular is recommended with premium offering improved performance with the ecoboost.

I run 87 in mine. Ive been averaging over 21mpg on that fuel. Id say thats with about 50%+ highway driving.

When I did run 93, i didnt see any change in mileage, or at least the difference was in the "noise" of variability. Im sure there was a performance improvement, but even with the 87, it still scoots.

I use premium. I tried a tank with regular octane and noticed a decline in throttle response when maneuvering the "twisties" back roads. A big reason I bought the Sport was because of the suspension and the turbo and I was told that premium is ideal for the turbos. If I bought the base model, I wouldn't be so **** about premium. Also, the final amount we pay for premium (currently $4.45) vs regular ($4.25) is a difference of about 20 cents/gallon, so its not that bad..

Interesting

Premium Fuel Prices here are $ 70-80 cents above regular..

Diesel .. you have to mortgage your house for a fillup :)

Today ..Shell Premium $ 3.89// Regular $ 2.69// Diesel 3.99

You can purchase lower price fuel ..but timing/location plays a part

Hello,
Just took delivery of my 3.5 eco-boost explorer premium Saturday. In the past I've always had supercharged Mustang Roush, SVT, etc. and had to use premium fuel. I can't see that Ford recommends premium fuel for this TwinTurbo engine what do you guys use?

I'm interested too. The manual says premium when towing. I think I'm getting better mileage in local driving with premium too.

You can use regular or premium. The computer is built with two tables. One to run on regular and one for premium. You'll get better power numbers when running premium.

I'm pretty sure their website even says that premium required for power numbers.

On another vehicle I would switch between 85 and 87 which here in Colorado is mid-grade fuel due to the altitude. I did notice a slight improvement in running the 87 but not enough to justify the extra cost of it. Mileage was also just enough of a difference to notice but also not enough to justify the extra cost.

Run a few tanks of each through your vehicle and make your own decisions. A lot has to do with driving habits and loads. When I was doing my comparison I was commuting to work over 60 miles round trip.

Hello,
Just took delivery of my 3.5 eco-boost explorer premium Saturday. In the past I've always had supercharged Mustang Roush, SVT, etc. and had to use premium fuel. I can't see that Ford recommends premium fuel for this TwinTurbo engine what do you guys use?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As indicated, I have merged your thread with this one I found using the Forum's handy "Search" function. The Owner's Manual specifies which fuel to use and it is 87 octane. However for top performance or towing, premium is recommended. After not noticing any difference, except in the wallet, I went back to 87 after using 91 for a few months.
I'm guessing you meant to say "Explorer Platinum" instead of "Premium".;)

Peter

Nothing but premium...have to pay to play. Otherwise just save more money and get the 3.5NA.

To avoid confusion, USA / Canada and Europe, Asia, UAE, etc. use different standards for displaying octane ratings.

For USA and Canada the system is called AKI, for Europe and quite few other areas it's either RON or MON, i believe most common standardizing system being RON.

Difference between RON, MON, and AKI
Because of the 8 to 12 octane number difference between RON and MON noted above, the AKI shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 6 octane numbers lower than elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. This difference between RON and MON is known as the fuel's Sensitivity,[4] and is not typically published for those countries that use the Anti-Knock Index labelling system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back