2.3 ecoboost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.3 ecoboost

PoppaJ

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer
Hi guys,
We bought a 16 XLT with the 2.3. Only have about 6000 miles on it and I'm wondering if anyone has had this engine long enough to tell me what you think.
Do you use premium fuel?
Full synthetic with the turbo?
Oil change interval any different with the turbo?
Anything else or tips are appreciated!

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys,
We bought a 16 XLT with the 2.3. Only have about 6000 miles on it and I'm wondering if anyone has had this engine long enough to tell me what you think.
Do you use premium fuel?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The Owner's Manual touches on all your questions as well there are threads on every question you asked as well.
The 'Search' feature (top right corner of page) is a very useful item.
To sum up, Premium fuel is not required but can be used if you want top performance. I use regular 87 in my 3.5L Ecoboost. I believe the Explorer comes with a synthetic blend. Some use full synthetic. Oil change interval has various opinions. It's basically up to you to do what you want.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/oil-change-interval.309598/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ost-what-type-of-fuel-are-you-running.429880/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/is-synthetic-oil-worth-it.444297/

Peter

I have nearly 4k on my 2.3L--no special treatment for mine. Running 87 and it seems to run quite well on that. Premium would make for a peppier engine, but even at my ripe old age of 27, I'm a fairly docile driver 95% of the time. We don't have 91 octane here, you either get 89 or 93. Pity.

I dropped it from a rolling start the other day. She had no trouble racing to the going speed of traffic even with the base octane.

Enjoy your ride.

I have nearly 4k on my 2.3L--no special treatment for mine. Running 87 and it seems to run quite well on that. Premium would make for a peppier engine, but even at my ripe old age of 27, I'm a fairly docile driver 95% of the time. We don't have 91 octane here, you either get 89 or 93. Pity.

I dropped it from a rolling start the other day. She had no trouble racing to the going speed of traffic even with the base octane.

Enjoy your ride.
Thanks!

I'm old school and with anything FI (force inducted), I will never pump with anything lower than premium.
Also in regards to oil, I also suggest full synthetic as the oil is not only for the engine; but feeds the turbos also.

I'm old school and with anything FI (force inducted), I will never pump with anything lower than premium.
Also in regards to oil, I also suggest full synthetic as the oil is not only for the engine; but feeds the turbos also.

I agree.
The compression ratio in indetical NA engines are lower in a forced induction engine, but don't let that mis-lead. As soon as boosting occurs, compression instantly rises, and far above NA engines.
I would always use premium is a forced induction engine.
Pre- ignition kills..

Drink from the premium Kool-aid and repent all your previous transgressions!

Ok made the switch today. 5/30 Amsoil Signature synthetic. Changed at 7500 miles. Had 4500 miles on Ford synthetic and the computer said I was at 58%.

I think this will go 10000 safely with a filter change at 5000 miles.

Going Synthetic isn't a bad idea, ever.

If you want to be sure, after this oil interval is complete, take a sample and send it into the analysis group of your choosing--I use Blackstone. I would love to see the results of this OCI on synthetic.

What's that run ya?

Depends on the vendor, Blackstone charges $28 per UOA, couple extra dollars for a TBN reading (to see how much active additive is left in the oil.)

Not really necessary on a new car, honestly, but if you want to see how well the oil did over an interval and get a nice reading on how your engine is aging, it's a small investment every now and again. Had one done on my Taurus years ago and was very impressed at how the semi-syn 5W20 Motorcraft held up over 10k miles.

I use only 91 Octane always of Top Tier Gas type. As far as oil goes, Full Synthetic 5W30 Mobil 1. When the Oil life shows between 25 and 30% remaining, I go for an oil change. Usually it is at about 8000 miles.

I have the 2.3l ecoboost in our Lincoln mkc and really like it. Runs great on 87 regular fuel, so save some money and give it a try. Definitely want to use synthetic oil, but I’d be careful about taking the oci too long. I try not to go beyond 6,500 miles myself. I’ll bet you have the 6f35 transmission as well, so make sure to check out the threads that detail how/why people do drain and refills on those transmissions, I certainly do it…

Hi guys,
Do you use premium fuel?

Thanks
I have the same setup ('16 XLT with 2.3L). I've generally been pleased with the power and MPG. It's been just fine for everything I've thrown at it including loaded up for family trips to Maine, FL and places in between (as well as some trips for work).

My opinion on your questions:
Yes to premium fuel, especially in hot weather and/or towing or heavy loads.
Yes to synthetic, not only for the turbos, but for the direct injection valve carbon deposits. The full synthetic also may give you some extra measure of comfort if you have to stretch your oil change interval.
Regarding the oil change interval, I shoot for around 5,000 miles for oil and filter. Sometimes it stretches longer because "life happens" but 5k is the general target for me.

I've had my oil tested and it's been good at 5000, but I don't care to take it to the limit so this works for me. :)

I have the same setup ('16 XLT with 2.3L). I've generally been pleased with the power and MPG. It's been just fine for everything I've thrown at it including loaded up for family trips to Maine, FL and places in between (as well as some trips for work).

FYI, the member you replied to hasn't been seen here since September 9, 2016.

Peter

You never know when they’ll be back…. I lurk 👀 on a number of forums without posting :popcorn:

You never know when they’ll be back…. I lurk 👀 on a number of forums without posting :popcorn:
Plus others may have the same questions!

Thanks for the heads up Peter! :D

Plus others may have the same questions!

Thanks for the heads up Peter! :D
That is true Gary, but I've often wondered why a synthetic blend is 'recommended' for U.S. Explorers and regular premium oil for Canadian Explorers? Never have figured that out. I would have thought with the cold winter climate here, a synthetic blend would have been recommended here as well.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back