• Register Today It's free!

Transmission?

45Frank

Reaction score
City, State
Blue Ridge Mnts of WNC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Ok several weeks ago I changed my radiator, leaking in the plastic on the passenger side. No problem here.
Well the transmission has now slipped twice in the last two weeks on takeoff, sort of like when you ride a clutch with a stick shift, last about a second or so then picks up smoothly.
I've had the SUV less than a year and it still shifts good other then those two times. So I checked the fluid and it seems thin and is definitely burnt and it's also over filled about an inch on the stick. Don't know how much that would be.
Anyway I want to get a full filter and fluid change but I have heard horror stories about thing getting worse after wards? Oh we have 160,000 mile on it. Any idea what a full trans tuneup would cost?
Thank.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do the fluid and filter change. If the transmission is in bad enough shape that the fluid change harms it, it didn't have much life left on the clutches any way.

Use quality Mercon V and consider having an additional cooler and in line filter added.

205,000 miles on original 4r55e here. Keep fluid clean and transmission cool, even these light duty Explorer transmissions can go a long way.

Took it to a local Trans shop today, I used him in the past and he's been honest so far.
He took it for a ride and couldn't find anything, said fluid is burnt but has seen worse. I explained to him it happened both times in the same spot exactly a week apart and it was up hill on an angle. The only thing he came up with was the o-rings or bolts that hold the filter in could have loosened or wore since it happened when I was on a strange angle.
So after the 4th he's going to call and set up an appointment for a fluid & filter change.

Yeah if the fluid is burnt smelling it should always be changed, as it's lubrication qualities are likely reduced

The thing now is he did say changing the fluid wouldn't help if there was a problem.
Then I have read so many places where people have changed their fluid and have had problems after that.
It hasn't slipped since but I haven't been in that area of the mountains either s he is probably right about the filter or O'Ring thing! It has been 5 weeks and not slipped since.

If you are concerned about a full fluid flush, what you could do is just drop the pan, change the filter and replenish with some fresh fluid. You only get maybe 25-30% of the fluid out, but it's better than nothing. You take it somewhere for a full flush, they'd replace the filter, anyway...so, you'd only be out the few qrts. of fluid if you don't notice any improvement.

Radiator replaced ... fluid overfilled ... sounds like there may be coolant in the trans fluid. I would definitely start with a full fluid and filter change and see what happens from there. If there are problems after the fluid change, it isn't because of the fluid change but because the trans was failing already.

Radiator replaced ... fluid overfilled ... sounds like there may be coolant in the trans fluid. I would definitely start with a full fluid and filter change and see what happens from there. If there are problems after the fluid change, it isn't because of the fluid change but because the trans was failing already.

If you actually have water into the tranny, be advice, it can be really dangerous:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-journey.434335/page-2#post-3517402

Ok finally had the trans replaced. My first road trip and it does the same thing.
Could there be a computer issue?
It only does it when hot out, was fine all winter now this. I did put a new radiator in a while back also, maybe a cooling problem?

Ok several weeks ago I changed my radiator, leaking in the plastic on the passenger side. No problem here.
Well the transmission has now slipped twice in the last two weeks on takeoff, sort of like when you ride a clutch with a stick shift, last about a second or so then picks up smoothly.
I've had the SUV less than a year and it still shifts good other then those two times. So I checked the fluid and it seems thin and is definitely burnt and it's also over filled about an inch on the stick. Don't know how much that would be.
Anyway I want to get a full filter and fluid change but I have heard horror stories about thing getting worse after wards? Oh we have 160,000 mile on it. Any idea what a full trans tuneup would cost?
Thank.

Back