What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Cool thanks. I've seen these ones before. Was unclear from some other pics I had seen if the Explorer vault gives access to the entire console of if its sealed and removes access to some of the console interior. I had seen one pic that appeared that this particular one was sealed on all sides and cut off access to some of the console storage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a word of caution that lowering could possibly void your 5 year powertrain warranty.
Keep the stock springs. Reinstall before taking in for service should you ever have any issue even remotely related to the suspension.

Same goes for any other fairly easily reversible mods

Rotated wheels and tires.

Changed brake fluid. Ugh...

Lubricated rear caliper & pad slides as it appeared the right rear was just starting to drag...

Next day = recovery...

I installed the Black Ford emblems front and rear.

0A4F7D2D-0216-4667-A925-D06CB7B75A7C_zpsnxe4ds59.jpg

EABB22C1-5780-4A71-B7AB-18AC5367F6A4_zpszpfmnwyd.jpg

Next up:
Hella Horns
Lowering

Yeah, my plates didn't show up for nearly a year, strange mix up at DMV I guess ;) In Cali the taxpayers ended up subsidizing the 'private' toll road entity so I'm paying one way or another...

I have 20 more days of free toll lanes and bridge crossings. That plate is not going anywhere until the 27th.
Here you can't drive the vehicle off the lot without a plate or a temporary sticker affixed to the rear window.

Peter

Installed spacers. 5mm on front, 10mm on rears
6r3ddy.jpg

10hsvwh.jpg
How big were the spacers you got and did you have any issues with the rim hitting the existing bolts? I am trying to put spacers on my xsport with stock wheels but they dont fit with a 1" spacer. Dont know how wide i have to go before they fit without having to cut the bolts. Maybe 1.5"?

How big were the spacers you got and did you have any issues with the rim hitting the existing bolts? I am trying to put spacers on my xsport with stock wheels but they dont fit with a 1" spacer. Dont know how wide i have to go before they fit without having to cut the bolts. Maybe 1.5"?

5mm front, 10mm rear. What do you mean your spacers hit your rims? Did you get adapters or spacers? I didn't need much of anything because my rims are 10.5 wide.

Installed Thule Slipstream 887XT for my Kayak. It's now easy to load and unload with the roller extended beyond the spoiler.

ThuleSlipstream887XT.jpg

Although it wasn't today, I cobbled together a cold air box for my K&N CAI. It is working quite nicely as it has silenced the obnoxious noise that was created by the K&N. I also have a Livernois 93 tune I installed a couple weeks ago which greatly improved driveability. In three weeks I'm taking it down to get dynoed to see the reason for the improvements. :thumbsup:

CAI 3.jpg

put on 22s.. goin to do black lugs.. perhaps spacers next... h&r for sport is in order and hopefully ill have the time to install them this weekend..
sorry for the crappy cell pic.. the oe sport wheels are for sale if anyone is interested...

22_211122_df86bb7706f60a0676032b041243a645367f26db.jpg

Installed backup camera, maestro rr kit, metra dash panel, and a pioneer CarPlay headunit.
01DF194E-3B04-4097-88BF-8B7F0FE19729_zpsg41yixdc.jpg

Blacked out the door handles, front grille, rear trim, roof rails, etc. 20" Niche LeMans M322's, did the Powerstop rotors and ceramic pads, blacked out rotor hats and calipers. Still gotta tint the heads, tails, fogs and rear markers, etc.
blackedout.jpg

Nice. Where did you get the brake parts??

We started testing of 3 car seats ( 3 kids 3 and under come November) we have our oldest in the 3rd row our middle behind the driver and the infant will be behind the passenger seat. We don't have the bench in 2nd row btw. I've been looking for a way to get the tether anchor for the second seat in the 3rd row to maximize ingress and egress since we still have to do the straps for all the kids. Right now we pop the hatch and let the oldes walk across the flat 2nd 3rd row seat and get in her seat and we took the headrest off of the passenger 2nd row so we can reach over top to buckle her. It's working well but I don't like popping the hatch every single time we get in and out. We may make her get in on the passenger side before we snap the infant seat in to remedy that though.

Also I ordered livernois 93 tune and 160* t stat. I'll pick up a drop in k&n and some NGK plugs locally and hopefully be ready to go when the tuner gets in

dropped the rears with h&r for sport... will do the fronts this coming weekend..

dropped the rears with h&r for sport... will do the fronts this coming weekend..

How is it sitting with only the rear springs installed? Are the headlights pointing to the sky?
Please add a picture.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most recent thing was removal of the front license plate holder. Not the best photo but only one I have of it without the holder. Looks much better without it

Next on the list is vinyl wrap the door handles, remove the pin stripe and re plastidip the front driver side wheel.

Is it possible or has anyone removed the plastic covering on the mirror (white piece on mine) Was thinking about making them black.

20160828_170326.jpg

2012 Limited

Back