New '09 STA Owner Seeking Heated Mirror Upgrade Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New '09 STA Owner Seeking Heated Mirror Upgrade Help!

TechGurru

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
09 STA V8 AWD
First post, Yay!

2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin V8 AWD in White Suede

So I searched around this forum and after some reading found it should (have been) a plug and play upgrade from non-heated to heated mirrors.

I purchased eBay heated/powered mirrors and an unopened Ford switch 9L2Z-13D730-AA (SW-6717). This switch includes driver and passenger seat heater flanking heated side mirrors.

The switch and mirrors were plug-n-play. I noticed on the new heated mirror, there's an extra pin that does connect to the car-side harness (gray/brown). Both old and new switches had all the pins.

The problem: Although both driver and passenger seat heaters work (press switch; switch lights up, seats get warm) the middle heated mirror switch does nothing when pressed.

I did notice to the left of the adjustable pedals, there's a blank button with a flat harness plugged into it. Some forums state its for the headed windshield, others say its for the heated mirrors. None of the wire colors match the connector at the driver mirror if that helps.

Both the driver footwell fuse #13 (15a) and Power Dist. Box fuse cartridge #15 (40a) are equipped and test good.

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Adam in Oregon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The blank button to the left of the pedals button is for the memory seat option found in the Explorer/Mountaineer. Unfortunately, memory seats weren't an option in the Sport Trac.

The blank button to the left of the pedals button is for the memory seat option found in the Explorer/Mountaineer. Unfortunately, memory seats weren't an option in the Sport Trac.

Ok great. Thank you! I can scratch that off the list of a possibility.

[MENTION=278373]SixPonies[/MENTION]: I thought about those, but for now, I just wanted heat so I can see. In Oregon, nearly every morning is dewy so the mirrors are completely fogged over.

Reading the wire schematics for 2010 ST, it appears Ford utilizes the rear window defrost relay. This relay is located in the SJB (Smart Junction Box). Reading further, these "boxes" are programmed for the features the vehicle originally comes equipped with.

Knowing that, can anyone chime in on this for the 2009? If this is true, can the SJB be re-programmed or does it require that I purchase a completely albeit different SJB (from maybe a 2010 ST)?--is it plug and play?

Has anyone with an '09 ST added heated mirrors successfully?

VERY much appreciated!

-Adam

It appears the 2010 ST has the heated mirror option. The SJB's for 2009 and 2010 are the same, so in theory adding the dash switch and mirrors with heat should be all that is needed to have heated mirrors. I am still stumped. There must be a connection (or lack there of) that has to do with the "optional" heated windshield for 2008 but had carried over some wiring for 2009.

Anyone care to chime-in?

Anyone with a suggestion?

Bump!
I can't believe no one has done this mod yet. I will report back if I am successful at hacking the mirrors. Last few month I have been driving my econobox but winter is approaching so I will be driving the STA soon.

What became of it?

Nothing, yet. I plan to visit the Ford Dealer soon. I will report back after.

In the meantime, I re-purposed the blank button (aka seat memory buttons) to a front diff lock button since I have performed the BWM (Brown Wire Mod, well, technically, its the Grey with Orange Stripe Wire Mod for 2006-2010 -GOWM? lol) which allows 2WD mode. LOVE THIS! I used a Toyota push button switch $19.95 that is green to match factory lighting. I shaved the blank button down right before the retainers so it can still click into the factory cage. The front diff lock button slid in perfectly--I used a small bead of hot glue around the edge then sandwiched the switch to the button frame. It looks like it was meant to be there!

hvOz

that looks damn good. Do you have any links for this RWD mod? I thought only first gen STs could do that mod.

Does the switch illuminate when on or off?
is there a fuse in line or just a straight wire in and out?

At least I finished the "brown wire mod" AWD to 2WD by press of a button:

this is from the 2008 ST XLT i grabbed from online. looks like the only difference is some possible power source for the defogger system that heats the mirror.... in the new mirrors was there an extra connector or was an extra pin in the harness? im not to sure.

non heated
upload_2018-1-4_21-21-8.png

Heated below
upload_2018-1-4_21-21-40.png

Yes, I believe that to be true.

Today, I even went as far as removing my SJB to verify the single "Heated Mirror/ Heated Window / Rear Defrost" relay was installed in the SJB from the factory. What a PITA to remove only to rule out what I already knew. Grrrr.

I also used Forscan and reprogrammed the cluster to a 2010 instruction set (measure blocks), but all that did was change the odo to KM lol.
I did this assuming by chance the cluster gave the SJB instruction because 2010 STA had factory heated mirrors but 2009 did not, but nope. I really don't think Ford stores everything inside the cluster like older vehicles.

When I replaced my factory side non-heated mirrors with aftermarket heated units, I verified I had the extra wires in the connector as well as all wires for the harness for the heated mirror/seat combo switch.

Based on everything I have checked or double checked, I should be able to press the heated mirror button and it SHOULD WORK. ...but nothing happens at all. So frustrating.

can you hook a volt meter up to the extra pins and see if they are getting power? maybe its a defective ebay mirror...? worst if they take a 12v current you could probably splice the wire that runs to the rear defrost and run that to each of the pins for the heated mirror
i do not have rear defrost in my ST. so in my case i would have to run a switch from ignition 12v (incase i leave it on. i wont use 12V hot) and then run power to that pin... or maybe it would just work on mine... idk if i could find a junkyard heated mirror id test it for you.

At least I finished the "brown wire mod" AWD to 2WD by press of a button:

Can i PM you messages about this mod for the 2006-210 so we can keep the thread about the heated mirrors

I am not getting any power out at the mirrors because the switch wont turn on. When you push the button (to turn ON the heated mirrors) the switch sends the command to the SJB, which in turn then pulls the defrost relay closed. Then the mirror wire gets power and the mirror button indicator turns on and everyone is happy.

The issue with my setup, is that the mirror switch doesn't even turn on, which I gather means the SJB doesn't see the command. Thats where I'm stumped.

Yes, you may PM me about the AWD to 2WD mod.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

those SJB are a PITA. i blew the part of it which was responsible for my brake lights, when i swapped in my LEDs and guess what. its completely sealed so you need a whole damn new one. not cheap.

okay so the middle button on your new switch for the heated mirrors isn't turning on. can you pop off the rear connector and test for power to see if it is the actual button part or if there is no power getting to the button at all. could the SJB be looking for a certain voltage / resistance and its not getting that specific amount?

if the ST didn't have it equipped prior does a fuse needed be added to one of the fuse boxes to complete a circuit somewhere? fuse locations 13 foot well or 15 in the hood? otherwise i am stumped too. hopefully someone can inform us

Back