• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Swap

Bulletslinger

Reaction score
City, State
Temecula, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer 4.0
Is it possible to swap out the transmission for a more fuel efficient one???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First time I've owned a ford, so I don't know the diff specifics

I do know that it's a stock 2002 Eddie Bauer 4.0. So if there is a usual diff ratio for that, it's probably that

First time I've owned a ford, so I don't know the diff specifics

I do know that it's a stock 2002 Eddie Bauer 4.0. So if there is a usual diff ratio for that, it's probably that

Look for the Axle code on your door sticker.

You'd be better off just changing your differential's ratio. What is it now? 3.73 or 3.55?

You might be able to drop it down to 3.27 or 3.08.

Axle Codes: http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm

If you put something higher than a 3.55 you will do better on the flat, windless highway but the 4.0 doesn't have enough power and bogs down and downshifts a lot in any hills, can't handle a headwind and acceleration is terrible. I have a 3.55 with oversize tires which gives it a higher final drive ratio and its a slug, especially with a load or towing. The mileage ends up being worse because the engine is working harder.

I'm actually thinking about going from a 3.73 to a 4.10 when I rebuild my differential, only thing is if I change ratios I'll have to do the front too. I'm trying to prepare this thing to eventually tow a travel trailer.

I'm actually thinking about going from a 3.73 to a 4.10 when I rebuild my differential, only thing is if I change ratios I'll have to do the front too. I'm trying to prepare this thing to eventually tow a travel trailer.

Can I ask a dumb question? What is the reason for changing your gear ratios? I know very little about any of this stuff. Is the 4.10 better suited to towing? Does that come at a cost? I'm considering investing in a trailer. Did you ever end up rebuilding your differentials? How'd it go?

Back